Where is the 100th anniversary of world cruises hoopla?

Lakesregion

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2 sail from Southampton on January 11th. Both voyages are described on the website as Centenary World Voyages.

What else are you expecting to see ?

Never have seen it mentioned on their web site nor in any advertisements after the first blast two years ago. When the QE2 was sold and was taking it's last world voyage Cunard was all over the promotion.

Lakesregion, the world has also changed substantially since it first was promoted and even then in my experiences the maiden world voyages of the QV and the QE of which I was on were almost disappointing for the recognition the maiden ports gave - save the odd fireworks.  I think the celebration of the 100 years is more meaningful for those of us who a geeks about such things.

Im not sure the world is ready for a full circumnavigation yet and will be watching it closely before continuing with my booking for 2024. They could be downplaying the promotion a little now.   Sadly I think that we are deluded to think that the world will ever be the same and carefree that it was pre 2020...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

....in my experiences the maiden world voyages of the QV and the QE of which I was on were almost disappointing for the recognition the maiden ports gave - save the odd fireworks ...

We were on QV back in 2008 as she left Sydney (after her maiden call)  with QE2 in port at the same time  .. I know you were there too Roscoe -- and of course so was Elaine.  We had just changed ships.  How can you forget it?  It was amazing.  I'd never seen anything like it before -- and nothing like like it since. 

QV maiden call and Departure Sydney 2008 with QE2

Edited by pberk

10 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

...Sadly I think that we are deluded to think that the world will ever be the same and carefree that it was pre 2020...

and that comes from one of Queen Victoria's most experienced passengers on this board.

The world of travel has changed and non more so than cruise travel. Right or wrong [and this isn't a thread to discuss the ins and outs of the virus or its effects] Covid has changed the once almost carefree atmosphere of boarding a ship for a wonderful holiday.

The sooner regulars and prospective passengers acknowledge that and are prepared to go with the flow and take the impact any glitches, which include the possibility of medical protocols peculiar to individual ships, in their stride, the more a balanced approach to the holiday can be.

If these ''emerging from a pandemic'' issues, which could take ages to be ironed out concern, then possibly cruise travel isn't on ''your'' horizon at the moment and getting specific, if any perceived changes bring on a case of ''fings ain't what they used to be'' syndrome then possibly that particular cruise line should no longer be on ''your'' agenda until the ''fings'' change or are seen to be permanent and thus the line is eliminated from future holidays.

Go with the flow and have a wonderful if maybe slightly different experience or wait until the experience is more to ''your'' liking but just bear in mind, ''you'' might be waiting a long time.  Us? We'll flow along with whatever happens, with an added personal responsibility to some things. Roll on our next cruise. 👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2 sail from Southampton on January 11th. Both voyages are described on the website as Centenary World Voyages.

What else are you expecting to see ?

Recalling from memory didn’t the three Queens all used to start and end their world voyages on the same day? I know this to be true in 2016 because we were boarding the QV for a cruise to the Canaries on May 10th and all three ships were in Southampton docks, all having left there on Jan 10th. 

A great sight to see even though the weather was a bit meh!

Just a day or two back there was a programme on TV from Liverpool showing the past event when the three Queens were visiting the Mersey at the same time and even performing some fancy manoeuvres on the river! I recall that there was always a bit of a hoo-ha when all three met up…which rarely happened. 

• Like 1

They often do sail on the same day but Queen Elizabeth is sailing down under at the moment so not available for a World Cruise. 

I was on Queen Mary 2 for the visit to the Mersey with her sisters. It was a very special day as part of 175th Anniversary celebrations. 

58 minutes ago, Petulia said:

Recalling from memory didn’t the three Queens all used to start and end their world voyages on the same day? I know this to be true in 2016 because we were boarding the QV for a cruise to the Canaries on May 10th and all three ships were in Southampton docks, all having left there on Jan 10th. 

Here's what I have for the three current Cunard Queens. There are quite a few instances of two of the ships departing Southampton together to start their world cruises. It looks like 2016 is the only instance where all three of the current ships departed Southampton together to start their world cruises.

Jan 5: QE and QV left Southampton on world cruises; QM2 at sea in Caribbean

Jan 10: QM2 and QE left Southampton on world cruises; QV in Puerto Quetzal

Jan 6: QE left Southampton on world cruise

Jan 10:  QM2 and QV left Southampton on world cruises

Jan 2: QV left Southampton on world cruise

Jan 10: QM2 and QE left Southampton on world cruises

Jan 10: QM2 and QE left Southampton on world cruises

Jan 20: QV left Southampton on world cruise

Jan 10: QM2, QV and QE left Southampton on world cruises

Jan 5: QV left Southampton on world cruise

Jan 7: QE left Southampton on world cruise

Jan 10: QM2 left Southampton on world cruise

Jan 7: QV and QE left Southampton on world cruises

Jan 10: QM2 left Southampton on world cruise

Jan 3: QE left Southampton for Australia

Jan 10: QM2 and QV left Southampton on world cruises

Jan 10: QM2 and QV left Southampton on world cruises; QE in Hobart

Jan 11: QM2 and QV leave Southampton on world cruises; QE in Dunedin

Jan 11: QM2 and QV leave Southampton on world cruises; QE at sea in Australia

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pberk said:

We were on QV back in 2008 as she left Sydney (after her maiden call)  with QE2 in port at the same time  .. I know you were there too Roscoe -- and of course so was Elaine.  We had just changed ships.  How can you forget it?  It was amazing.  I'd never seen anything like it before -- and nothing like like it since. 

QV maiden call and Departure Sydney 2008 with QE2

Sydney and auckland aside......the fireworks were great, I think that I had expected a bit more....and sigh....Elaine...wonder what she would make of the world now!

13 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

and that comes from one of Queen Victoria's most experienced passengers on this board.

👍

awww shut Victoria...you flatter me.

Hopefully some lucky passenger this year will blog? or at least post to the board, I might not be on board this time but I will be in spirit, have a good safe trip you lucky punters...

17 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

...and sigh....Elaine...wonder what she would make of the world now!

Yes.  I wonder too.  But it's certain she'd have much to say once the martini arrived.

Those were the days when we could look forward to meeting up for drinks in the Commodore without a care in the world.  The conversation was always spot on to the truly important issue of the day like how at afternoon tea they ran out of cucumber sandwiches.   Disgraceful. 

>>Sadly I think that we are deluded to think that the world will ever be the same and carefree that it was pre 2020...

To your point Roscoe, I sadly agree.  It's doubtful we can be that carefree again any time soon.  

5 hours ago, pberk said:

Yes.  I wonder too.  But it's certain she'd have much to say once the martini arrived.

Those were the days when we could look forward to meeting up for drinks in the Commodore without a care in the world.  The conversation was always spot on to the truly important issue of the day like how at afternoon tea they ran out of cucumber sandwiches.   Disgraceful. 

>>Sadly I think that we are deluded to think that the world will ever be the same and carefree that it was pre 2020...

To your point Roscoe, I sadly agree.  It's doubtful we can be that carefree again any time soon.  

Well as you know she is still sailing the high seas - we hid a photo of her "  in plain sight " on board and I checked in 2020 and its still there...

We certainly were very lucky, when I think of the countries Ive visited over the years both on and off the ship and with the ease we did it , all whilst being cosseted by familiar crew and officers - the senior officers parties in their personal quarters, drinks in the masters suite, the tours through the engine room and being on the bridge numerous times in and out of ports and through the canals ect  sadly its time to work towards a new normal, but the QV will and always be my second home. Luckily though I don't have to pay her maintenance....or have to replace her blades!