Renew Passport time

Ombud

45 minutes ago, theloo said:

So, if I'm on a cruise until the end of July and immediately apply for a renewal when I return, I wonder if that will be enough time for it to come back before a possible cruise in December (nearly 5 months)?

Directly from the passport processing center:

I’ve just been advised on April 24, that

expedited is still 7-9 weeks and that you start counting from the day they receive your application.  You should be fine.

We did expedited because they have been slammed with summer travel. 

Routine 10 to 13 weeks
Expedited            7 to 9 weeks

• Like 2

While most people here are traveling for leisure, it makes me wonder how people who travel internationally on a weekly or monthly basis for work get their passports renewed. Some of them are never more than 7 weeks between international travel.

I guess the only solution for them is to do a same-day passport renewal at one of the State offices.

51 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

While most people here are traveling for leisure, it makes me wonder how people who travel internationally on a weekly or monthly basis for work get their passports renewed. Some of them are never more than 7 weeks between international travel.

I guess the only solution for them is to do a same-day passport renewal at one of the State offices.

Yes, they would need to do

an in person appointment if they are near a passport office.  

You can also hire an agency to get your passport renewed, if you are not near a passport office. Can be expensive, but companies will pay for their employees, if it’s for business travel.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Thanks Mike07...all leisure travel for us. Our longest break this year is only 8 weeks.

* Has anyone contacted the San Francisco (State Department office) recently? What are the chances of getting one of those appointments? (14 days before international travel)

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, theloo said:

Yikes!!!

My husband's passport that was renewed one week later than mine in January 2023 has shipped (he received an email notification) and he did not pay for expedited. Mine is still showing as processing and I did pay for expedited. Crazy! I may have to drive up to Los Angeles to the passport office to renew mine in person (since it has now been over 14 weeks). I will wait until my husband's passport arrives and then plan my LA trip.

1 hour ago, jonesnewl said:

My husband's passport that was renewed one week later than mine in January 2023 has shipped (he received an email notification) and he did not pay for expedited. Mine is still showing as processing and I did pay for expedited. Crazy! I may have to drive up to Los Angeles to the passport office to renew mine in person (since it has now been over 14 weeks). I will wait until my husband's passport arrives and then plan my LA trip.

I would call them first and explain what has happened.  Would they be able to help you with an appointment, if they already have your old passport and application?

Good luck. If you’re traveling within the next 2 weeks you can call them.