Renew Passport time

Ombud

37 minutes ago, sjlogghe said:

What number did you call to check on completion?? I'd like to do that!! 

1-877-487-2778. I was concerned about making an appointment if it didn't come in time. But it did. 

Only took 2 business days after it flipped to printed (mailed 2/27, received 2/28)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

1-877-487-2778. I was concerned about making an appointment if it didn't come in time. But it did. 

Only took 2 business days after it flipped to printed (mailed 2/27, received 2/28)

Thanks. I called and got a message that they can't take my call due to high call volumes. Ha. I will try later.

I did go online and change my shipping to expedited, hopefully that sends a flag to them that I need it now? 😅 I didn't do the expedited shipping initially, because I figured 3-5 weeks for expedited processing still gave me a month for it to get to me through shipping. Plenty of time! HAHAHA

If I don't get it by Friday, I'm calling to make an appt ... it'd still be 3 weeks out from my trip, but I'll just try for an appt that's within the 14 day timeframe for my trip, hoping that by calling early I'll have a better chance at getting an appt! 

Edited by sjlogghe

35 minutes ago, sjlogghe said:

Thanks. I called and got a message that they can't take my call due to high call volumes. Ha. I will try later.

I did go online and change my shipping to expedited, hopefully that sends a flag to them that I need it now? 😅 I didn't do the expedited shipping initially, because I figured 3-5 weeks for expedited processing still gave me a month for it to get to me through shipping. Plenty of time! HAHAHA

If I don't get it by Friday, I'm calling to make an appt ... it'd still be 3 weeks out from my trip, but I'll just try for an appt that's within the 14 day timeframe for my trip, hoping that by calling early I'll have a better chance at getting an appt! 

Does it say "Request Received" on the expedite shipping button?? It should. Took about a 1/2 hour for mine to be read. That sped it up JMHO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Does it say "Request Received" on the expedite shipping button?? It should. Took about a 1/2 hour for mine to be read. That sped it up JMHO

It doesn't yet, it says Request Submitted. Thanks for that info - I didn't know I could look at that. I'll keep an eye on it! 

I checked in for my cruise on Thursday in Jacksonville.  I had the earliest time, but amazingly, there was no line at all.  First station before security involved a friendly German shepherd that showed no interest in my box of Frosted Flakes.  At checkin they checked my brand new passport, and the picture was accepted for facial recognition.  
    Four days later, I was one of the earliest off, and at the bottom of the gangway they were directing passports left, BC to the right.  I went left with passport in hand, she took one glance to see I had it, said ‘you can put that away, you won’t need it again’.  I went forward, stood on the red footprints, it read my face, and I was done.  And there was absolutely no one else in the huge hall.  So my question is, ‘why would anyone travel without a passport?’  EM

• Like 1

Supposedly there was a breakdown in the system for renewals, and that's why it's all of a sudden taking so long?? I don't know, I got that info from my sister - who doesn't even have a passport.  LOL She also told me that a friend of hers tried to get an in person appt for renewal, because they had a trip coming up, and were told they can't renew in person. Which is not what I've read online - I'm wondering if she wasn't able to get an appt because they were all booked up and misunderstood??

I'm starting to freak out a little bit ... our cruise is out of Galveston, we visit Honduras and Mexico. Is it true I can take a certified birth certificate if I don't have my passport by then?? I'm hoping this is true!! I'll also be gone on a trip to AZ in 1.5 week, so that complicates trying to go in person if I haven't gotten it yet! 

In order to get an in-person passport interview you need an international trip within 14 days. R(21M) needed 1 and was given a 9:30 appt, same day they pushed it back to 11, picked it up at 1, was on plane to Paris at 6pm. So it is possible. There wasn't an additional fee to have it at the State Dept (Hayes & Van Ness in San Francisco so local for us). 

On 3/7/2023 at 7:47 PM, sjlogghe said:

Is it true I can take a certified birth certificate if I don't have my passport by then??

Research your ports to see if they are covered under WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative). Some Caribbean countries require a passport. 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

https://familydestinationsguide.com/do-you-need-a-passport-to-go-to-the-caribbean/

The question of renewal processing times gets asked occasionally, and I have recently participated in some discussions, as I was in the renewal process. So I will share my latest experience.

I had to make the decision of whether to renew with a seven week window between travels, or cruise with a passport due to expire in three months. Travel.gov says expedited can take 5-7 weeks not including mail time, which had me uneasy, and I was not sure which option would be in my favor. Originally I thought I would not risk renewing and not getting it back in time; I would rather cruise with the soon-to-expire passport. I had several people caution me against doing this, so I decided to renew, expedited. 

Anyway, On Feb 13, I expedited renewal, and I received my passport today, March 15. Not sure if I would have been turned away with the original soon to expire passport, but definitely relieved that I renewed and have received it. 

8 hours ago, superduper123 said:

Anyway, On Feb 13, I expedited renewal, and I received my passport today, March 15. Not sure if I would have been turned away with the original soon to expire passport, but definitely relieved that I renewed and have received it. 

This makes my blood boil!! (Ticked at the passport people, not you. Ha) I submitted mine for expedited renewal on Jan 24. Still nothing. 3 weeks before yours was submitted, and still showing in process. 🤬 It's been 7 weeks now. That means the initial email I received that said 3-5 weeks was wrong and the online current processing time of 5-7 weeks is incorrect as well. I am so annoyed, and would like my $60 back that I paid for expedited processing - because clearly it hasn't been expedited!!! 

6 hours ago, sjlogghe said:

This makes my blood boil!! (Ticked at the passport people, not you. Ha) I submitted mine for expedited renewal on Jan 24. Still nothing. 3 weeks before yours was submitted, and still showing in process. 🤬 It's been 7 weeks now. That means the initial email I received that said 3-5 weeks was wrong and the online current processing time of 5-7 weeks is incorrect as well. I am so annoyed, and would like my $60 back that I paid for expedited processing - because clearly it hasn't been expedited!!! 

If you have unsuccessfully tried to get an update from the State Department, contact your member of Congress constituent services office either within your district or in Washington, DC.  They will contact the appropriate office at State.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sjlogghe said:

I don't blame you, I would be also. I was on edge that I would not have mine back in time (sailing March 31). I don't know if my experience is typical, or if I just got lucky.

On 3/23/2023 at 3:39 PM, Smileyatsea said:

I'm in the same boat.  Applied online Jan 7, marked received Jan 12 (so the clock starts here), paid for expedited, and nothing.  Still "in process" nearly 10 weeks later.

Getting stressed....

I would contact your state Senator. I saw this mentioned on a video, so I tried it. Both of my Senators had a specific page on their website that I could fill out info, then I had to sign and fax a "release" form for them to be able to contact the agency regarding my passport. I did this on Thursday afternoon. Friday morning, I received an email from my Senator's office that said they had contacted the passport agency on my behalf. And magically on Friday afternoon, I received an email that my passport had shipped!! I should have it in hand on Monday.  🥳

I also called the general passport line on Wednesday. They said they would send a message to the passport agency assigned to my renewal (mine happened to be Tuscon) and let them know it is now urgent, that I have travel within 14 days. I don't know if that did anything, I really think it was probably contacting my Senator that actually helped. 

• Like 2

My husband I sent in form, money and passports for renewal  on 1/23 and I got mine on 2/8.  We forgot his SS number on his application so we had to send in that info and it was received on 2/13.  Tried getting info online every day for the past 2 weeks and also either get quick busy, too busy to take our call or I waited for over 3 hrs but my cordless home phone ran out of power so still getting nowhere.  We sail 5/15 but starting to get worried. Guess I will wait until end of April and then try your suggestion to contact our senator.

One question:  Can my husband use his Global Entry card to get onto ship?  We are sailing to Martha's Vineyard, Bermuda and Charleston.

Any help is appreciated.  I am really kicking myself for omitting the information on the initial application and also just not renewing until after we get back.

What happens if he has no passport - can we cancel and get money back??? Probably not.

I wqas always worrying about Covid and now this is an issue.

3 hours ago, dazey said:

My husband I sent in form, money and passports for renewal  on 1/23 and I got mine on 2/8.  We forgot his SS number on his application so we had to send in that info and it was received on 2/13.  Tried getting info online every day for the past 2 weeks and also either get quick busy, too busy to take our call or I waited for over 3 hrs but my cordless home phone ran out of power so still getting nowhere.  We sail 5/15 but starting to get worried. Guess I will wait until end of April and then try your suggestion to contact our senator.

One question:  Can my husband use his Global Entry card to get onto ship?  We are sailing to Martha's Vineyard, Bermuda and Charleston.

Any help is appreciated.  I am really kicking myself for omitting the information on the initial application and also just not renewing until after we get back.

What happens if he has no passport - can we cancel and get money back??? Probably not.

I wqas always worrying about Covid and now this is an issue.

I believe this is a WHTI initiative compliant closed loop cruise, so you really do not need a passport, just official birth certificate and government issued photo ID.  Unfortunately, even though the Global Entry card states your citizenship on it, it is not one of the stated documents to prove citizenship.  Personally, I think it should be.  EM

EM: CC people always help out.  I will wait a bit more but will get my husband's  birth certificate and "real ID" license ready for the cruise. The Global Entry card is approved by a passport and interview so not sure why that cannot work but we do not make the rules.

Thanks so much.

6 hours ago, dazey said:

EM: CC people always help out.  I will wait a bit more but will get my husband's  birth certificate and "real ID" license ready for the cruise. The Global Entry card is approved by a passport and interview so not sure why that cannot work but we do not make the rules.

Thanks so much.

Just make sure it's a certified birth certificate. Has to have the raised seal on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, snaebyllej said:

Received my non-expedited renewal this morning, 13 weeks to the day.  Entered online January 4th, went to "in process" 2 days later.  My theory is that they're trying to boost domestic travel.

Which passport center did you mail to?

Philadelphia?  TIA

I renewed by mail and received at mid Atlantic location on 1/12 and got it on 2/8.  Made a mistake on my husband's application so I had to send in added into and it was received on 2/13 and it just got changed to "in proces"s 3 days ago. If someone on this site did not tell me about using a certified birth certificate and government ID for our cruise(start and finish in NJ), I would be going crazy. 

I may try calling again in a week but have not been successful with that.

I listed our travel date as 5/8 so maybe it will get to me by our sail date(5/15). 

His passport did not expire until end of July but trying to take care of any problems I renewed and created more issues.

Will keep  you aware of how it works for us.