Renew Passport time

Ombud

Update to:I renewed by mail and received at mid Atlantic location on 1/12 and got it on 2/8.  Made a mistake on my husband's application so I had to send in added into and it was received on 2/13 and it just got changed to "in proces"s 3 days ago. If someone on this site did not tell me about using a certified birth certificate and government ID for our cruise(start and finish in NJ), I would be going crazy. 

Received "shipped" notice when checking government's website today that it was shipped Priority on the 13th and will be received on the 19th.  Did not pay or request expedited mail service but will take it.  The website said "processed" three days ago and then jumped to "shipped".  Guess all their OT is working so that they get everyone better service.

As I said before thanks to CC members telling me about just being able to use birth certificate and ID on this cruise I really was not too worried but this did work out for us.

On 4/14/2023 at 7:27 AM, dazey said:

Update to:I renewed by mail and received at mid Atlantic location on 1/12 and got it on 2/8.  Made a mistake on my husband's application so I had to send in added into and it was received on 2/13 and it just got changed to "in proces"s 3 days ago. If someone on this site did not tell me about using a certified birth certificate and government ID for our cruise(start and finish in NJ), I would be going crazy. 

Received "shipped" notice when checking government's website today that it was shipped Priority on the 13th and will be received on the 19th.  Did not pay or request expedited mail service but will take it.  The website said "processed" three days ago and then jumped to "shipped".  Guess all their OT is working so that they get everyone better service.

As I said before thanks to CC members telling me about just being able to use birth certificate and ID on this cruise I really was not too worried but this did work out for us.

I am  renewing DW and my passports for a trip that begin in late June. I mailed that old passports, forms, and photos in a USPS flat rate priority envelope on 17 March. I paid the expedited fee, wrote expedite on both sides of the envelope and paid for the 2 day return shipping. On 20 March, the checks were cashed and tge status showed up as processing. The estimated time shown was 7 to 9 weeks. Today, after 4 weeks, the status for my passport says approved and printing. My DW's passport status shows processing, but I expect/hope it will be approved soon. 

6 minutes ago, taba said:

On 20 March, the checks were cashed and the status showed up as processing. The estimated time shown was 7 to 9 weeks. Today, after 4 weeks, the status for my passport says approved and printing.

That gives me some hope. The money order for my daughter’s passport was cashed on March 24th, but as of the last time I checked, the website wasn’t showing any status whatsoever. I called their 800 number and the representative I spoke to said that it may have been a website error. She told me that if the money order was cashed, that means that the application has been received and it’s being processed. We are also traveling at the end of June so we still have some time before I go into panic mode. 

Edited by Tapi

It seems that if you indicate a travel date(I listed two weeks earlier than the actual sail date) and get your renewal in 2-3 months ahead you should be okay.  I wish I had not omitted my husband's social security number on the form and we both would have gotten ours in February. 

Hope it all works out for you.

10 hours ago, sharichka said:

I submitted my online renewal on Feb. 6.  Today I received an email letting me know it was shipped.

We never received any email even though we submitted our email. Had just check last week and showed still being processed. That's ok, was surprised and wondered what was in those priority envelopes.😄

My sister applied for hers in December and expedited it.  (Renewal).  Two weeks ago (early April) she got notification it was processed.  As far as I know she hasn't received it yet.

We were going on a long cruise/tour to Australia and New Zealand in late February and this would have prevented her from going.  She had to cancel anyway for health reasons, but obviously you must plan far, far ahead if renewing a passport, even if expedited.

If you can possibly get an appointment, or are close to, a passport office, right now I think this is the way to go.

3 hours ago, jonesnewl said:

Submitted passport renewal online in mid-January 2023 with expedited service, still waiting to receive it through the mail.

Has it shipped yet?  That’s not expedited. I’d call the passport phone line to check on it.

Edited by PacnGoNow

On 4/20/2023 at 9:36 PM, sharichka said:

I submitted my online renewal on Feb. 6.  Today I received an email letting me know it was shipped.

Update:  Passport arrived today!  I feel like now I can really start to get excited about our trip.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jonesnewl said:

Submitted passport renewal online in mid-January 2023 with expedited service, still waiting to receive it through the mail.

I did the same.  Submitted renewal online and paid for expedited service on Jan 9.  Did not receive my passport until two weeks ago.  My understanding is that the waiting times are starting to get longer as people are renewing for summer travel.

On 1/1/2023 at 1:56 PM, ldtr said:

You do not have to send it in, but your old passport becomes void when you submit the renewal application so you are still without a valid passport until the new one is received.

OMG, that is so stupid.  The old one should continue to be valid until its expiration OR when the new one is issued!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theloo said:

OMG, that is so stupid.  The old one should continue to be valid until its expiration OR when the new one is issued!  

It’s always been that way.  You have to surrender your passport upon applying for a new or renewal.  

If you apply by mail, you also send in the current one.

In the past they would return your old passport with a bunch of holes punched or snip off a corner.

They either stopped doing this completely or someone actually checks to see if there is an unexpired multi-year visa in the book.

55 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

It’s always been that way.  You have to surrender your passport upon applying for a new or renewal.  

If you apply by mail, you also send in the current one.

Sure, in the old days, when you mailed in a physical passport.  But with online renewal, there's no reason to cancel it while they're processing the new one.  

13 minutes ago, Philob said:

In the past they would return your old passport with a bunch of holes punched or snip off a corner.

They either stopped doing this completely or someone actually checks to see if there is an unexpired multi-year visa in the book.

They should return your cancelled passport back to you also.  It may be mailed back in a separate envelope. 

1 minute ago, theloo said:

Sure, in the old days, when you mailed in a physical passport.  But with online renewal, there's no reason to cancel it while they're processing the new one.  

There’s no online renewal right now. That was just a trial run.

The old days are still upon us.  😂 We have to do it by mail, until later in the year.

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

There’s no online renewal right now. That was just a trial run.

The old days are still upon us.  😂 We have to do it by mail, until later in the year.

Oh, how sad.  I was hoping to renew before mine expires next April.  Maybe it will come back before October.  

13 hours ago, theloo said:

Oh, how sad.  I was hoping to renew before mine expires next April.  Maybe it will come back before October.  

Remember some countries require your passport to be valid at least 6 months after expiration for entry.

The new catch phrase is now: 'LOOK BEFORE YOU BOOK"

Edited by Philob
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Philob said:

Remember some countries require your passport to be valid at least 6 months after expiration for entry.

The new catch phrase is now: 'LOOK BEFORE YOU BOOK"

Also, in the passage contract of the cruise lines, some stipulate similar language.

So, if I'm on a cruise until the end of July and immediately apply for a renewal when I return, I wonder if that will be enough time for it to come back before a possible cruise in December (nearly 5 months)?