Renew Passport time

Ombud

Logging progress in case anyone's interested:

1/11/23 - submitted

1/23/23 - flipped to received so earliest I can change to expedite (didn’t)

4/14/23 - needed to avoid a trip to city hall for a certified birth cert

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Online renewal process has stopped accepting apps until March. Processing time jumped to 8-11 weeks & advised doing in person if less than that .... not even expediting!!

I would call if you really need it expedited and see if there are exceptions.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I would call if you really need it expedited and see if there are exceptions.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

The exception is if traveling internationally within 14 calendar days. I can technically cruise under WHTI but prefer to have passport in hand. Either way I'd have to go to SF when I'm within 14 days of embarkation to get necessary paperwork

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

The exception is if traveling internationally within 14 calendar days. I can technically cruise under WHTI but prefer to have passport in hand. Either way I'd have to go to SF when I'm within 14 days of embarkation to get necessary paperwork

Hope you get it soon.  I know, I’d be nervous too, just in case you had to fly home.  

Edited by PacnGoNow

Yes. I misread it (apparently) when I applied.  I thought it was 6-9 weeks processing time from date submitted but it was 6-9 weeks processing time from date moved to 'in process.' Added expedited service & express mail this morning. Trying to avoid going into their office. 

Edited by Ombud

I applied online and it has said ‘received’ since JAN 12.  Guess I won’t hold my breath.  I have a short Bahamas cruise booked for March 2 but can use BC for that. Uncomfortable, since I haven’t traveled without a passport since 1972.  EM

• Like 1

I certainly hope you are right and the State Dept online site is wrong. Otherwise I'll be trying to (1) get a 14 day appt or (2) get a birth certificate.  I just have a certified birth cert from 1950s which is before they were embossed. I do have 5 expired passports. But that won't help. Fortunately those offices are just a block apart in SF

Screenshot_20230208-101232_Chrome.thumb.jpg.11ce59deed4fa39270071a767463d61f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 10:04 AM, Ombud said:

Logging progress in case anyone's interested: 

1/11/23 - submitted

4/14/23 - needed to avoid a trip to city hall for a certified birth cert

Went into SF to get a certified birth cert & was handed back exactly what I showed them (old one was copied microfiche with a validated for id on the back / new one is the standard 8×11 multi-colored sheet). So the karma is:

1/11/23 - submitted

2/8/23 - added expedite & express mailing

2/24/23 - called & confirmed expected completion date week of 4/16/23 (embarkation 4/16/23)

2/25/23 - flipped to printed

I chalk that up to a useless Bart trip into SF City Hall.  But I did have coffee at my favorite place there

Expedited Service and 2 day postage got a less than 4 week turnaround time. As an aside, I really don't like the *new* passport design. It looks like a 4th grader made it in the backyard treehouse using elmers glue and an etch-a-sketch.  

Edited by NevadaCruiser2023

25 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Expedited Service and 2 day postage got a less than 4 week turnaround time. As an aside, I really don't like the *new* passport design. It looks like a 4th grader made it in the backyard treehouse using elmers glue and an etch-a-sketch.  

Maybe they did!  There is a staffing shortage.😮

I submitted online for renewal on 1/24. I don't know what day it flipped to "processing" as I didn't keep that close of an eye on it. I did pay for the expedited  processing. When I submitted, it said expedited processing time was 3-5 weeks. 2 weeks after, it changed to 5-7 weeks. Tomorrow will be 7 weeks since submission. 🤬  If it doesn't change to Printed in the next day or two, I may call and make an in person appointment! Ugh. 

I leave for my cruise 4/1, so I do have a LITTLE bit of time - but it's still making me nervous!! 😩

On 2/25/2023 at 5:35 PM, Ombud said:

Went into SF to get a certified birth cert & was handed back exactly what I showed them (old one was copied microfiche with a validated for id on the back / new one is the standard 8×11 multi-colored sheet). So the karma is:

1/11/23 - submitted

2/8/23 - added expedite & express mailing

2/24/23 - called & confirmed expected completion date week of 4/16/23 (embarkation 4/16/23)

2/25/23 - flipped to printed

I chalk that up to a useless Bart trip into SF City Hall.  But I did have coffee at my favorite place there

What number did you call to check on completion?? I'd like to do that!!