Renew Passport time

Ombud

My passport expires 1/10/2024 so I want to renew. During the height of the pandemic the website stated it would take 6-9 weeks. How long does it currently take? I'm hoping to have it in time to change ##s on my 4/16/23 cruise (really don't want to use certified birth cert but only non-USA port is Ensenada). 

Adding: it took someone I know 5 months in late 2022 

Edited by Ombud

11 minutes ago, Ombud said:

My passport expires 1/10/2024 so I want to renew. During the height of the pandemic the website stated it would take 6-9 weeks. How long does it currently take? I'm hoping to have it in time to change ##s on my 4/16/23 cruise (really don't want to use certified birth cert but only non-USA port is Ensenada). 

Adding: it took someone I know 5 months in late 2022 

It has been taking 6-9 weeks.  You could apply for a renewal online, US passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew-online.html

They are supposed to go all erenewals, so this seems like a test run for the new program. 

You have a lot of time left, could you renew after this April one, instead of before?

I have them same situation, but more time after my next cruise to renew.

@PacnGoNow I have a land based trip this summer and then a transatlantic in the fall .... this may be my longest stretch at home

Thanks for the link. Think I'll do it 1/11/23 (has to expire within a year). Fortunately website says I can switch and pay the expedite fee if I want. 

We booked a cruise for next month to Coz/Roatan/Belize/Costa Maya and didn't realize we had to have valid passports. 

Ours expire in May and was told they must be good 6months from your return date.

I put them in the mail for renewal Monday and paid for expedited processing and return mail.

Crossing fingers we get them back in time.

I was talking to someone yesterday that said his daughter received hers back in 3 weeks and she didn't even do expedited. Hopefully they are processing faster now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@PacnGoNow I have a land based trip this summer and then a transatlantic in the fall .... this may be my longest stretch at home

Thanks for the link. Think I'll do it 1/11/23 (has to expire within a year). Fortunately website says I can switch and pay the expedite fee if I want. 

Try the new online renewal.  You don't have to send in your current passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok. Not trying expedited fee at first. I know Rafa got his same day at the SF Office but I do have a little time. Hope @llarsen's friends timeline is accurate 

Correction:

43 minutes ago, Ombud said:

it took someone I know 5 months in late 2021

35 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Great plan!  This time of year, it should be faster than 6-9 weeks.  That’s the standard time shown on the Government websites.

Let us know.  

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Here is a previous thread from October with posters saying a 3-week turnaround with and without expedited handling.

FYI: recent passport renewal turnaround with expedited processing - Princess Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

• Like 2

1 hour ago, llarsen said:

We booked a cruise for next month to Coz/Roatan/Belize/Costa Maya and didn't realize we had to have valid passports. 

Ours expire in May and was told they must be good 6months from your return date.

I put them in the mail for renewal Monday and paid for expedited processing and return mail.

Crossing fingers we get them back in time.

Heads up, Post Office will be closed (everywhere) January 2 b/c it's New Year's Day observed. Also, expedited has a different mailing address from the regular/routine passport processing center (I know somebody that learned this the hard way).

• Like 1

My DH's very recent experience:

He just received his passport exactly 2 months after submission (not expedited). Submission of the renewal was done on-line and received and accepted by the State Dept on October 22 and processing began on October 23.  We received notification on December 20 that it would be delivered on December 23 but it came a day early.  The issue date was December 15. 

If you are also interested in his experience renewing on-line, it was very positive.  The hardest part for us was related to the photo.  First, finding a white wall (we don't have one) as background for the picture!  Finally we thought of our condo building lobby and that worked perfectly.  Secondly the photo was rejected because the pixel size was too small.  That got too technical for me so I googled how to increase the number of pixels.  A free Adobe App worked fine and the photo was accepted on the first try.  Payment was made via credit card. The renewal was accepted immediately (on a Sunday night) and the status changed to in process on Monday.

What he liked best about the process:  the acceptance of credit cards, no postage, no trip to the post office to mail it, no waiting days for the mailed package to be accepted, and no waiting for the return of the expired passport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malba2366 said:

The current passport doesn't have to be sent in but the State Department cancels it upon receipt of your renewal application and sends a couple of notices to that effect.  It cannot be used while the new passport is in process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So grateful to have seen this topic.  Fingers crossed for the 6-9 weeks being true.  I am sailing on Feb 20th out of LA to Mexico.  My passport expires in 6/2023.  I just submitted my application online for my renewal on 12/22.  I know I can sail with my certified birth certificate if need be, but I would rather not if I can help it.  Praying for the 3 weeks that I saw a few posters mentioned!

3 hours ago, malba2366 said:

You do not have to send it in, but your old passport becomes void when you submit the renewal application so you are still without a valid passport until the new one is received.

Edited by ldtr

Hi DH realized in late August 2022 that our US passports would expire in early February 2023. As we will need them in mid March , We scrambled and got the renewals sent in and received by the processing center the first week of September.  We got the new passports at the end of October.

This tracks  with the 8-10 week estimate on the government website. All the best!

• Like 1

My passport renewal request [routine processing] was mailed 11/14 and received by the State Department 11/18.   The website gives a 6-9 week turnaround.  I just checked and the application still has "In Process" status.  With all of the holidays, I don't expect to receive my new passport until the 9-week mark. 

I have so many cruises scheduled for 2023 that I'm hoping to squeeze renewing after our Panama in Sept.  Passport doesn't expire until June 2024, so it should be good.  Only issue is, I have a Hawaiian in Jan 2024.  I could use my birth certificate for that one though.  

7 hours ago, malba2366 said:

BUT a careful read indicates that your existing Passport is invalidated the moment you submit your application. 

I submitted for my renewal online on October 13th.  Got an email on Dec. 29th that it has been shipped (11 weeks).  Hopefully it will come this week.

Edited to say: The holidays may have slowed down the process. 😉

Edited by smwg
  • Like 1

I submitted my passport for renewal and application was received on November 1.  I received the renewed passport around December 16.  I wondered why I had not received an email telling me it was being mailed and then I received an email on December 24 saying I should receive it by December 20,   I still have not received my old passport back.

8 minutes ago, Sherri1 said:

Dec 5th  sent in. Received  new passport Dec 30th.

Used the  expedited  service.

Thanks for this response Sheri.  I am going to upgrade to the expedited service.  I know it's $60 more but for peace of mind before my 2/20 cruise, I think it will be a $60 well spent.  I sent mine in 12/22, and it still just says "received".

Happy cruising!

• Like 2