Arriving in LA (LAX) for 3 nights pre cruise from San Pedro - staying in Santa Monica

podgeandrodge

Yes, he would be an additional driver but he isn't the greatest with directions.   Been married very long time, long enough to know what to ask him to do and not do 😉 when it comes to traveling and logistics.  He's more comfortable when we stay together.  Maybe we can just drop the bags off and return the car together - usually the luggage is taken before we go into the terminal for the check in process.  At least in all the other places we have been.

But your info is super helpful so I am sure we can come up with the plan that works best for us.  Thanks again for the info.

• 2 months later...

Hi! I try to ask a question here. We are happy people and are going two cruises from Los Angeles. First going on Royal in San Pedro and then Carnival from Long beach. We are from northern Europe and want to enjoy the day between cruises. We wont be having a car and need to rely on subway/Uber. What would be your suggestion? We have been looking at long beach but we notice many people suggest Hermosa beach etc. 

On 6/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, travellerin1984 said:

Hi! I try to ask a question here. We are happy people and are going two cruises from Los Angeles. First going on Royal in San Pedro and then Carnival from Long beach. We are from northern Europe and want to enjoy the day between cruises. We wont be having a car and need to rely on subway/Uber. What would be your suggestion? We have been looking at long beach but we notice many people suggest Hermosa beach etc. 

I see few people ever recommending Hermosa Beach; Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica sure, but not Hermosa.

Since you are going on Carnival, Long Beach makes the most sense. What do you plan to/want to do on that free day?

Could use a little more information.  Are you, hopefully, arriving at least a couple of days before your first cruise?  Are you staying around after the second?  And, how much time between those two cruises...Do you go from one to the next on the same day...or is there a hotel night between the two?  Or more time?  It makes a big difference. If it's the same day, you're just going from one side of the harbor to the other.  If there's just the one night, best to stick around Long Beach...there are several good hotels and enough to do there to fill that small amount of time.  If there are two nights with a full day in between, that gives rise to other possibilities.

Assuming it's a single night, get an Uber (there is no subway between San Pedro and Long Beach and it's a reasonable 6-8 mile trip across the harbor), go to a Long Beach area hotel in the Downtown Convention Center area--One of the two Hyatts (Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Centric at the Pike) or the Renaissance, perhaps the Westin or Hilton...or, across the channel near the Carnival Terminal, the Maya Doubletree or Residence Inn Downtown.  Then, spend the rest of your day touring the Queen Mary and Aquairium of the Pacific or walking around Long Beach (Pike and Shoreline Village) and have a nice dinner at one of the many nearby restaurant choices...then, the next morning, head to the Carnival Terminal and board the next ship.

You really don't have the time to head elsewhere in the Los Angeles area.  Hopefully, you fly in a few days before your first cruise and stay in Santa Monica...or, perhaps, Hollywood/Universal, West Hollywood/Beverly Hills, Venice/Marina Del Rey or some other area from which you can tour some of the Los Angeles sights.

Edited by Bruin Steve

I'm so happy to find this forum.  To you Angelenos, What is your opinion of staying in Century City (Fairmont) for a couple of nights before boarding a cruise at the "World Cruise Center?" Too far from LAX or WCC?  I know it's close to shopping but are the logistics bad?  Using Uber or Lyft.  Thanks - I really appreciate the help you're giving.

20 hours ago, nowornever said:

I'm so happy to find this forum.  To you Angelenos, What is your opinion of staying in Century City (Fairmont) for a couple of nights before boarding a cruise at the "World Cruise Center?" Too far from LAX or WCC?  I know it's close to shopping but are the logistics bad?  Using Uber or Lyft.  Thanks - I really appreciate the help you're giving.

It certainly isn't too far from LAX or the WCC, the question is, what do you plan do with your time in LA? There is not much walkable from the Fairmont Century Plaza. If you wanted to see some sights while in LA, there are better located hotels.

Thanks, scottca.  Not really interested in the Hollywood stuff - been there, done that & really liked it at the time but I'm thinking mainly of the LACMA & I think I'll check out what is going on at Disney Concert Hall.  Safety is a huge concern for me & I've always felt secure at Fairmonts.  I'd love to know your favorite hotels in the same category as the Fairmont.  You're such an asset on this board & again, I'm so happy I ran across it.

12 hours ago, nowornever said:

Thanks, scottca.  Not really interested in the Hollywood stuff - been there, done that & really liked it at the time but I'm thinking mainly of the LACMA & I think I'll check out what is going on at Disney Concert Hall.  Safety is a huge concern for me & I've always felt secure at Fairmonts.  I'd love to know your favorite hotels in the same category as the Fairmont.  You're such an asset on this board & again, I'm so happy I ran across it.

If I wanted to go to LACMA and Walt Disney Concert Hall I'd probably look at the JW Marriott or Ritz Carlton in DTLA, maybe the Biltmore too, which is where I stay a lot in DTLA, but Pershing Square ain't pretty these days. I also stay at the Omni on Bunker Hill, kitty corner from Disney when I have opera and concert tickets.

If you wanted to stay in the Fairmont family, the Fairmont Miramar is great and lots of good dining to walk to and nice places to walk in Santa Monica. Also in Santa Monica is the Loews. After that you get into very expensive hotels.

The Century Plaza is very safe because it is so isolated. We used to stay there when the Schubert Theater was across the street still.

stay in Long Beach for the "Down Day".  Take the high speed catamaran to Catalina Island.  Spend the day there, then come back to long Beach.  Queen Mary Hotel is now open for overnight stays ( The Queen Mary cruise ship is dry docked, and is now a floating hotel).  You can tour the Russian Sub right next door.  Aquarium of the Pacific is really fun/interesting. 

On 1/9/2023 at 7:13 PM, Bruin Steve said:

But, for tourists who want to see a lot and have things to do day and night and won't have a car, Santa Monica is just a VERY GOOD place to be.  OTOH, hotes can be a pit pricey...But, this is LA--decent hotels in decent areas are generally pricey.  If you find a bargain somewhere, really question it.  There are many cheap hotels...and they are largely cheap for very good reasons... 

Oh wow, this is a great post for those of us that don't know LA at all, thank you so much! We just booked a California Coastal on Princess for next April, and I definitely want to fly into LA a few days earlier to see some of the sights. This is all very helpful info, sounds like Santa Monica is the right place for us to stay! I definitely don't want to be driving myself around in LA! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ErLee we just came back from a California Coastal on Princess.  We stayed in Santa Monica for two days prior to the cruise and we are very glad we did! 

It's very walkable area with a lot of food and cocktail bar options.  There are some tour companies that are located there as well, so you can walk to the start/end point from your hotel.  We didn't rent a car either.  Just used Uber/Lyft from LAX and back to the port.  No issues at all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JGmf said:

@ErLee we just came back from a California Coastal on Princess.  We stayed in Santa Monica for two days prior to the cruise and we are very glad we did! 

It's very walkable area with a lot of food and cocktail bar options.  There are some tour companies that are located there as well, so you can walk to the start/end point from your hotel.  We didn't rent a car either.  Just used Uber/Lyft from LAX and back to the port.  No issues at all. 

Thank you for the feedback!  it helps me know that's for sure what we want to do. Where did you stay if you don't mind sharing? 

16 hours ago, ErLee said:

Where did you stay if you don't mind sharing? 

Stayed at the Shore Hotel in Santa Monica.  It's a clean, modern place proximate to the pier and all of Santa Monica's other attractions.  I booked about six months in advance with a non-refundable rate.  Got a very good deal in my opinion.  Would book it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

For those staying in Santa Monica with extra days and not sure where to go or what to do, I'd highly recommend heading to Geoffrey's Malibu for dinner. It's a quick 30 minute drive along the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH, aka Highway 1) from Santa Monica, the food is excellent, the views are amazing, and, more than likely, you'll spy a few celebrities sitting at nearby tables. 

You can also make a day of Malibu - visit Pepperdine University, explore Malibu Village and Malibu Colony Plaza, walk the Malibu Pier, explore Point Dume, bury your feet in the sand at Zuma Beach, and have lunch at one of my other favorite area restaurants, The Sunset.

Lots to see and do within a quick drive from Santa Monica that many people completely miss because they're focused on Hollywood or other places south of LA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping regulars @scottca075 and @Bruin Steve will chime in and help with my question...

I'm on an Oceania Insignia Panama Canal cruise ending in Los Angeles in January. I want to spend at least one night in LA post-cruise and visit the Getty Villa. I've already done most of the touristy things that would interest me. 

I would love suggestions on what area would be best to base myself in given that LAX appears to be roughly halfway between the cruise port and the Villa. I don't want to rent a car, would probably use Uber to get around although if public transportation is recommended I'm fine with that too.

Also, along with the where, would also love actual hotel ideas. I'm not a chain person, I prefer hotels with individual style and like older, historic properties.

I assume I can see the villa on the day I arrive, spend an overnight in a hotel (maybe with a good nearby restaurant) and fly out next day. But I'm happy to entertain other ideas if you have any, for other ideas to see and do. Just keep in mind it's January.

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm hoping regulars @scottca075 and @Bruin Steve will chime in and help with my question...

I'm on an Oceania Insignia Panama Canal cruise ending in Los Angeles in January. I want to spend at least one night in LA post-cruise and visit the Getty Villa. I've already done most of the touristy things that would interest me. 

I would love suggestions on what area would be best to base myself in given that LAX appears to be roughly halfway between the cruise port and the Villa. I don't want to rent a car, would probably use Uber to get around although if public transportation is recommended I'm fine with that too.

Also, along with the where, would also love actual hotel ideas. I'm not a chain person, I prefer hotels with individual style and like older, historic properties.

I assume I can see the villa on the day I arrive, spend an overnight in a hotel (maybe with a good nearby restaurant) and fly out next day. But I'm happy to entertain other ideas if you have any, for other ideas to see and do. Just keep in mind it's January.

Okay...here's the fun part:  What you want to visit is my old neighborhood...where I grew up.  Seriously, growing up, even before they built the Getty Villa, J. Paul Getty was my neighbor.  His actual residence (well, his California residence, he also had homes in London and New York) was right next to the house I grew up in.  All I had to do was to climb under the fence along our back yard and I was looking at Getty's house--which is actually behind the "Villa".  My parents were really not very happy with them building the Villa (nor were many of their neighbors).  The property was zoned "single family residential" and they pulled a few strings with City Hall and somehow bypassed a lot of the public hearing requirements.  When they opened, it caused a lot of unnecessary traffic and parking issues in the neighborhood.  The eventual compromise was that no one would be allowed to walk into the Villa property--visitors could only park ON the property...and parking reservations were required.

Anyway, back to your question.  The Villa is actually located in Pacific Palisades (though they often call it Malibu...The city of Malibu actually starts just a little up the PCH across Topanga Canyon Blvd.  There really aren't any hotels in Pacific Palisades and nothing that close-by in the Eastern end of Malibu.  Closest are for hotels would actually be Santa Monica--which is, for many reasons, a great place to stay--lots to do in walking distance if one is there without a car.  I would use Uber to get from the cruise port to a hotel in Santa Monica and use Uber to the Getty Villa and back.  The oldest and most "historic" hotel (though little in the area is all that ancient) in Santa Monica is the Fairmont Miramar--sort of the "grande dame" of Santa Monica hotels...and very well located near the Third Street Promenade and Palisades Park.  For a smaller hotel nearby, the Huntley is across the street (My daughter once stayed there and liked it).  Another very interesting choice--a litte closer to Getty but a little more out-of the-way for other things--would be the Channel Road Inn.

From Santa Monica, there are a few typical tourist sites:  Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach Boardwalk, a stroll along Palisades Park at sunset, shopping and people-watching on the Promenade.  If you've done all of those and are looking for the unusual, in Pacific Palisades there's this one:  http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=626

A couple of long blocks down the beach from the Getty Villa (at PCH and Sunset Blvd.) is California's top grossing restaurant--Gladstone's...but there are lots of other restaurant choices in Santa Monica.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nike4000 said:

@cruisemom42 - The Malibu Beach Inn is a fantastic hotel just up PCH from the Getty Villa. Definitely historic and not a chain. Everyone stays in Santa Monica, why not try something a little more unique and right on the beach?

Thanks for the additional idea. I'd probably consider it if I was going to rent a car and stay more than a night. I suspect January isn't the optimal time of year either.

I will look up the place though and keep it in mind for a future visit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for the additional idea. I'd probably consider it if I was going to rent a car and stay more than a night. I suspect January isn't the optimal time of year either. I will look up the place though and keep it in mind for a future visit.

The Malibu Beach Inn is nice, but not a place I'd want to be without a car. There is not much around it.

Question for all you experienced Uber users:

Background:

Four of us seniors are staying at a hotel in El Segundo (right outside LAX). We need transport from that hotel to the World Cruise terminal in San Pedro for our Celebrity cruise. We are considering using Celebrity's Airport Transfer, but that means returning to LAX the morning of the cruise and the hassle of finding the Celebrity personnel and bus. Several have recommended Uber from our El Segundo hotel to the cruise port. Price seems reasonable, but apparently we cannot schedule months in advance for our December 2023 cruise. I hate to wait to the last minute to summon a Uber Black SUV.

Question:

Has everyone always had the Uber large vehicle arrive quickly for such a trip? I don't see how drivers could always be available if I can't schedule in advance.

We are considering booking something else we can schedule, like a private limo, but I suspect the prices will be much higher. Uber ought to be around $125 for we four in a large vehicle.

Doug

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Question for all you experienced Uber users:

Background:

Four of us seniors are staying at a hotel in El Segundo (right outside LAX). We need transport from that hotel to the World Cruise terminal in San Pedro for our Celebrity cruise. We are considering using Celebrity's Airport Transfer, but that means returning to LAX the morning of the cruise and the hassle of finding the Celebrity personnel and bus. Several have recommended Uber from our El Segundo hotel to the cruise port. Price seems reasonable, but apparently we cannot schedule months in advance for our December 2023 cruise. I hate to wait to the last minute to summon a Uber Black SUV.

Question:

Has everyone always had the Uber large vehicle arrive quickly for such a trip? I don't see how drivers could always be available if I can't schedule in advance.

We are considering booking something else we can schedule, like a private limo, but I suspect the prices will be much higher. Uber ought to be around $125 for we four in a large vehicle.

Doug

Ubers of all types are extremely plentiful in the LA area.  The only times I've ever had a problem in getting one is when arriving late at nignt at LAX when a number of planes had just arrived...and then it wasn't a matter of getting one, just that I've experienced some "surge" pricing...To be on the safe side, download the apps for BOTH Uber and Lyft.  You can log into both and check prices and availability.  And, if Uber XL is not easy, just grab two UberXs--sometimes it works out just as well.

I would never use a solution requiring me to get a hotel shuttle back to LAX then find a cruise line transfer...definitely not worth the hassle.

Edited by Bruin Steve

27 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Ubers of all types are extremely plentiful in the LA area.  The only times I've ever had a problem in getting one is when arriving late at nignt at LAX when a number of planes had just arrived...and then it wasn't a matter of getting one, just that I've experienced some "surge" pricing...To be on the safe side, download the apps for BOTH Uber and Lyft.  You can log into both and check prices and availability.  And, if Uber XL is not easy, just grab two UberXs--sometimes it works out just as well.

I would never use a solution requiring me to get a hotel shuttle back to LAX then find a cruise line transfer...definitely not worth the hassle.

Thanks Steve. Yeah, we do not want to to hotel transfer back to LAX to catch the cruise line's transfer. Big hassle.

I had not though about also checking Lyft. Competition is good! Keeps prices competitive.

Doug