Booking one way airfare for cruise

tfred

our thought is to take a TA next year NY-UK.  

Looking for an easy and cost effective way to book that oneway airfare back to the US.  Some cruise lines (e.g. Celebrity) have an airline booking engine built in to the website.  Can't seem to find on on Cunard

Casually looking at one way fare ex LHR are pretty steep. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Go for it.

Did the same a few years ago and could not find a satisfactory airline price.

Told our TA and he came back with a crew rate as long as we caught the next flight back to the states.

Hired a car and went directly to the airport.

A good TA will work with you.

Cunard also offers flight arrangements.

reach out to them as well.

Wishing you a great voyage.

Looking forward to doing same soon.

A&C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure how loyalty miles work in the US but in the UK, if you have any/enough airline loyalty mileage, using them for a one way ticket is the best utilisation of those miles.

Edited by Victoria2
spelling
  • Like 1

Agree about Cunard Air. We booked one way to LHR. We asked for fares from two airports (EWR and PHL) and a range of 3 dates. Surprisingly, by using PHL and by selecting one of the non-weekend dates we got a *dramatically* lower fare than booking directly with the airlines. So play around a bit with your flight over.

16 hours ago, tfred said:

our thought is to take a TA next year NY-UK.  

Looking for an easy and cost effective way to book that oneway airfare back to the US.  Some cruise lines (e.g. Celebrity) have an airline booking engine built in to the website.  Can't seem to find on on Cunard

Casually looking at one way fare ex LHR are pretty steep. Any suggestions?

Of course you could do the reverse and get longer days... Sailing in to NYC is somewhat more glamourous than sailing in to the container port/oil refineries of Southampton (though fog at 5am in October put paid to seeing the Statue of Liberty etc). You may get better air fares out of US ? (air taxes from UK are expensive - people are known to do small jumps to Ireland or mainland Europe to get much cheaper flights overall)

1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

Of course you could do the reverse and get longer days... Sailing in to NYC is somewhat more glamourous than sailing in to the container port/oil refineries of Southampton (though fog at 5am in October put paid to seeing the Statue of Liberty etc). 

We have disembarked in Southampton much more than New York. In Southampton we have not once been treated rudely by officials, nor had our luggage misplaced, nor had the cruise line-arranged transfers messed up. 

Never once have we had a good experience disembarking in New York, although one time in 2016 it wasn't nearly as bad as others. After the nonsense we endured this past October I am determined to avoid New York.  

• Like 1

I booked a TA on a different cruise line (don't say anything, already regretting it, wife talked me into it) and decided to book a round trip airfare.  Rnd trip was significantly less than the one way.  If we end up not using the second leg, we are still ahead.

However, as was mentioned above, airline points miles are absolutely the best way to go for one way international travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

We have disembarked in Southampton much more than New York. In Southampton we have not once been treated rudely by officials, nor had our luggage misplaced, nor had the cruise line-arranged transfers messed up. 

Never once have we had a good experience disembarking in New York, although one time in 2016 it wasn't nearly as bad as others. After the nonsense we endured this past October I am determined to avoid New York.  

But isn’t embarking there almost as bad?

18 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Not good. Only disembarked once in NYC and it was fine, but we were the very first in the (non-self disembarking) queue to get off so maybe we were lucky! Always prepared for delays at US immigration after experiencing JFK a few times, but this was a lot quicker...again because we were head of the queue and the Apple Tags in my bags allowed me to find the suitcases (that's a bit of a nonsense, all those bags laid out like that)

On 1/5/2023 at 11:53 AM, exlondoner said:

But isn’t embarking there almost as bad?

Not in my experience. We had such a bad experience the first time we disembarked in NY - yes, it was decades ago - we didn't disembark there again for about 40 years. We have, however, embarked about a dozen times and never had a problem. 

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo