Arvia - Impressions from Maiden

No pager thank you

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

On both Britania and Iona the app worked perfectly, and my phone is only 2g/3g.   Yes it shut down if I did not not keep it active, but even it did close down, the app was still active when I went back in.

I hope it works perfectly for me next month. We’ll see! 

• Like 1

Over the past year this has all been discussed and debated many times on these boards.  The fact is some love the idea of the app and technology and others hate it.  Looking at the photographs on Arvia it seems pretty well split in reality as well.  

However, and this is the biggie, at no point has anyone at any time suggested how they would handle those who won't or can't use the app or technology other than saying everyone needs to get "with the system". 

P&O aren't assumedly going to turn away customers who say they aren't using phones and apps and they (or any company for that matter) would be walking a very fine line if they emblazoned such a thing on their advertising or website.  Are those advocating virtual queuing really suggesting this route?

So turning the issue on its head, other than the pagers that are being used for the non app users, what suggestions can we make to help alleviate the problems if we accept some people will never embrace the app or phone technology?

Any ideas?

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4

Personally I’m 50/50 with the app. Yes it has some good features for booking things and showing queue numbers. The downside is having to carry my phone in the evenings and constantly having to check and refresh. Really don’t like this when wanting a pre dinner drink, also find it quite rude if in conversation with other passengers.

Just prefer to leave the phone in the cabin when on holiday, plus for some strange reason my hubby can’t get it to work on his phone 🤔

• Like 6

Just now, happy v said:

Personally I think whether people choose to use the app or not. They all paid the same as me so are entitled to all amenities 

Agreed. However people are looking to alleviate queues at the dining venues, particularly on the two new ships.  How therefore do we accommodate both groups without alienating them from each other? This seems to be the quandary.

The app booking of entertainment is of course also another side to this.  At present on some ships it's all bookable before departure, on others it isn't so we have no uniformity.  A passenger who sails Aurora the first time won't encounter the same set up on Iona.  Volumes make booking essential on big ships and booking is the only way to give everyone a chance to see the shows.  On Aurora that most likely isn't and issue and you can generally stroll up to get in.  6,000 Iona passengers can't just turn up or pandemonium would ensue.

Another issue: as you rightly say everyone should be able to do or try everything available.  If all selectvrestaurants are booked multiple times by those familiar with the system others may not get the opportunity to try them once. Do we think that's fair, it may well be, however could thecapp be used if it is made reliable and user friendly to maybe limit block bookings?  What would our fine diners feel about this, would limiting access make them unhappy? 

There are literally dozens of combinations with technology, however you still presumably want to accomodate 90 year old Auntie Ethel who can just about turn her phone on, or perhaps not?  That is the question, how do we do it?

• Like 6

I have no problem carrying my phone with me as I tend to use it as a camera rather than my Canon camera as it can go in my pocket, my camera doesn’t, it sits in a camera bag, which is bulkier. 

I use apps for many things from banking to finding out the weather, so using an app onboard would be no problem for me or my wife.

However for those without a smartphone or even a phone something else needs to be put in place, which could also be used if the IT or WiFi went down. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I don't feel the need to carry my phone or tablet around with me to carry out basic tasks, I go on holiday to chill out, now should P&O get their IT sorted then I may reconsider. 

I never used to carry my phone on my person, on holiday it went in the bag that goes on the back of my wifes wheelchair, but I rarely needed to use it.

But since I switched to this newer one, on which I now do all my browsing, shopping, and banking, I find it goes in my trouser pocket, just as my sons told me I should, to make sure I had it to hand if they wanted to contact me.

So on holiday it's the same, and I don't  find it a problem at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Agreed. However people are looking to alleviate queues at the dining venues, particularly on the two new ships.  How therefore do we accommodate both groups without alienating them from each other? This seems to be the quandary.

The app booking of entertainment is of course also another side to this.  At present on some ships it's all bookable before departure, on others it isn't so we have no uniformity.  A passenger who sails Aurora the first time won't encounter the same set up on Iona.  Volumes make booking essential on big ships and booking is the only way to give everyone a chance to see the shows.  On Aurora that most likely isn't and issue and you can generally stroll up to get in.  6,000 Iona passengers can't just turn up or pandemonium would ensue.

Another issue: as you rightly say everyone should be able to do or try everything available.  If all selectvrestaurants are booked multiple times by those familiar with the system others may not get the opportunity to try them once. Do we think that's fair, it may well be, however could thecapp be used if it is made reliable and user friendly to maybe limit block bookings?  What would our fine diners feel about this, would limiting access make them unhappy? 

There are literally dozens of combinations with technology, however you still presumably want to accomodate 90 year old Auntie Ethel who can just about turn her phone on, or perhaps not?  That is the question, how do we do it?

Perhaps fir those without or with the wrong type of phone, perhaps the cabinTVs could have an interactive option to book things. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I have no problem carrying my phone with me as I tend to use it as a camera rather than my Canon camera as it can go in my pocket, my camera doesn’t, it sits in a camera bag, which is bulkier. 

I use apps for many things from banking to finding out the weather, so using an app onboard would be no problem for me or my wife.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I never used to carry my phone on my person, on holiday it went in the bag that goes on the back of my wifes wheelchair, but I rarely needed to use it.

But since I switched to this newer one, on which I now do all my browsing, shopping, and banking, I find it goes in my trouser pocket, just as my sons told me I should, to make sure I had it to hand if they wanted to contact me.

Wonderful and perfect for you guys. However still no answer on what you think P&O should do with Auntie Ethel or the others who don't wish to use the phones.  What's the solution forcP&O with her?  Hopefully something to still make her feel welcome?  

If we want queues to not happen we need an answer, back in the days of set club dining Auntie Ethel didn't seem like a problem now apparently she might be at risk of inadvertently being one!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Over the past year this has all been discussed and debated many times on these boards.  The fact is some love the idea of the app and technology and others hate it.  Looking at the photographs on Arvia it seems pretty well split in reality as well.  

However, and this is the biggie, at no point has anyone at any time suggested how they would handle those who won't or can't use the app or technology other than saying everyone needs to get "with the system". 

P&O aren't assumedly going to turn away customers who say they aren't using phones and apps and they (or any company for that matter) would be walking a very fine line if they emblazoned such a thing on their advertising or website.  Are those advocating virtual queuing really suggesting this route?

So turning the issue on its head, other than the pagers that are being used for the non app users, what suggestions can we make to help alleviate the problems if we accept some people will never embrace the app or phone technology?

Any ideas?

I have every sympathy with those who have not yet embraced smart phones, and there needs to be a non virtual queue arrangement for them. However those who do have smart phones, but chose not to use the app need a little push in that direction.

So maybe those who have used the app should have priority over those who haven't, and if they keep the 2 queue system, then the non app users should not be allowed up to the desk while there are virtual queuers waiting. Only when the virtual queue is empty should they be allowed to the desk.  That should work, and it ought to increase the app usage as well.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I have every sympathy with those who have not yet embraced smart phones, and there needs to be a non virtual queue arrangement for them. However those who do have smart phones, but chose not to use the app need a little push in that direction.

So maybe those who have used the app should have priority over those who haven't, and if they keep the 2 queue system, then the non app users should not be allowed up to the desk while there are virtual queuers waiting. Only the virtual queue is empty should they be allowed to the desk.  That should work, and it ought to increase the app usage as well.

A two tier system?  The app would have to be guaranteed to work on every single phone for that to be fair.  If 4 P&O people couldn't get it to work on our two phones and by several hundred others from the queue at IT every day that might cause more problems than it solves at this time!

With say 4,000 people joining the app queue and 2,000 not I think Auntie Ethel would never get to eat as she'd never reach the front of the queue.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Lots to think about here. Obviously I had not! First thoughts. Separate restaurant for walk in, app but M.D. able to redirect if necessary. I think for paying restaurant you would still have to go with first come first served. For shows maybe a desk somewhere so people could physically book

I will have to do some thinking but you have raised a lot of good points 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

A two tier system?  The app would have to be guaranteed to work on every single phone for that to be fair.  If 4 P&O people couldn't get it to work on our two phones and by several hundred others from the queue at IT every day that might cause more problems than it solves at this time!

With say 4,000 people joining the app queue and 2,000 not I think Auntie Ethel would never get to eat as she'd never reach the front of the queue.

If my cheap 2g/3g phone works, then I would expect most should work.

Edited by terrierjohn

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

One of the things we like about cruising is that we can go out in the evening, no phone, no wallet, no keys. I have spent a career using technology and am quite proficient with it. I am the paying customer and whenever possible want to do what suits me not what the cruise line or anybody else thinks I should do because it suits them. Ultimately I may have a decision to make as to whether I tow the line or move on to an alternative cruise line or holiday type that meets my needs.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, happy v said:

I think for paying restaurant you would still have to go with first come first served

Before boarding like in the old days?  An example is WDW who open a 90 day booking window on line. This ticks down daily so take Christmas Day every single visitor booked in for 25 December visit has an equal chance to book their Christmas dinner in a restaurant that day.  First come, first served. However if I was staying from 24 through 27 I would have to go through the same process at 90 days out from 26th and again 27th.  This gives everyone a chance.

Obviously if you book your holiday later than the 90 days out you won't get the same number of  opportunities but there is still choice.

Do you think something like this maybe 30 days out might be a good idea? If Auntie Ethel cant do it herself perhaps her trusted travel agent might book her in to shows and dining, either MDR or select?

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If my cheap 2g/3g phone works, then I would expect most should work.

In theory yes, with P&O technology no!  Therein lies the problem, human nature.  Mine works therefore yours should it must be you.  Heard that from the tech team at Christmas as my husband's brand new iPhone wouldn't work.

There's also the complication apparently of how an individual phone is set up.  Things like VPNs and ad blockers apparently stop it from working, or so I was told.  Some people might not even know their security actually automatically puts these things on.  At one point a receptionist wanted to carry out a factory reset on my phone which would have course wiped everything I have on there.  She was told most firmly no way!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

One of the things we like about cruising is that we can go out in the evening, no phone, no wallet, no keys. I have spent a career using technology and am quite proficient with it. I am the paying customer and whenever possible want to do what suits me not what the cruise line or anybody else thinks I should do because it suits them. Ultimately I may have a decision to make as to whether I tow the line or move on to an alternative cruise line or holiday type that meets my needs.

Same question to you as to our tech wizards. How would you like P&O to facilitate this for you?  What do you think of Terrierjohn's suggestion for instance, would it work for you?

If not what would you like to happen to keep you onside?  Clearly the status quo isn't working too well on the bigger ships, any ideas what to do?

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Same question to you as to our tech wizards. How would you like P&O to facilitate this for you?  What do you think of Terrierjohn's suggestion for instance, would it work for you?

If not what would you like to happen to keep you onside?  Clearly the status quo isn't working too well on the bigger ships, any ideas what to do?

I would be happy to use the tv to make my bookings or use the phone/tablet from the cabin. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I would be happy to use the tv to make my bookings or use the phone/tablet from the cabin. 

They'd better upgrade Ventura's televisions post haste ...

Just remembered something I had in one of my Italian hotels this year.  Next to the room phone was a type of tablet set up which linked to the hotel restaurants, bars and spa so you could book from your room.  Basically you  were shown it when you arrived and if you were a technophobe one big red one said Concierge.

Something like that might be very useful but maybe too costly

Edited by Megabear2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Any ideas?

May I suggest a radical solution, I appreciate that proposers of radical solutions will have ridicule heaped upon them but here goes.

With so many MDRs suggest at least one have fixed dining times. There could be two sittings. this would allow people that wanted the certainty of being able to present themselves at a predetermined time and sit down at a table without hassle to achieve this, while still catering for queue junkies that need to queue both virtually or physically having been told that to do this gives them freedom. Which according to reports is far from the experience promised.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Before boarding like in the old days?  An example is WDW who open a 90 day booking window on line. This ticks down daily so take Christmas Day every single visitor booked in for 25 December visit has an equal chance to book their Christmas dinner in a restaurant that day.  First come, first served. However if I was staying from 24 through 27 I would have to go through the same process at 90 days out from 26th and again 27th.  This gives everyone a chance.

Obviously if you book your holiday later than the 90 days out you won't get the same number of  opportunities but there is still choice.

Do you think something like this maybe 30 days out might be a good idea? If Auntie Ethel cant do it herself perhaps her trusted travel agent might book her in to shows and dining, either MDR or select?

I think I will have to give up.

If I can't get to sleep I will mull some more. But I don't think I am clever enough to come up with answers

It was actually Auntie Ethel and her sister on our cruise, which made me think how unfair it was. They had not been to any shows. I told them reception would do it for them. They were quite timid and I really felt sorry for them. They weren't even moaning just said there was lots of other things to do.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, happy v said:

I think I will have to give up.

If I can't get to sleep I will mull some more. But I don't think I am clever enough to come up with answers

It was actually Auntie Ethel and her sister on our cruise, which made me think how unfair it was. They had not been to any shows. I told them reception would do it for them. They were quite timid and I really felt sorry for them. They weren't even moaning just said there was lots of other things to do.

Have a good rest.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

In theory yes, with P&O technology no!  Therein lies the problem, human nature.  Mine works therefore yours should it must be you.  Heard that from the tech team at Christmas as my husband's brand new iPhone wouldn't work.

There's also the complication apparently of how an individual phone is set up.  Things like VPNs and ad blockers apparently stop it from working, or so I was told.  Some people might not even know their security actually automatically puts these things on.  At one point a receptionist wanted to carry out a factory reset on my phone which would have course wiped everything I have on there.  She was told most firmly no way!

If a VPN stops it working, that’s my phone off the App, as I have a VPN which runs when connected to a public network.