“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

4 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Since our arrival in Indonesia, there have been several instances along the way, where short local/ethnic music and dance have been presented for us.  At the Trowulan sites, these 12 year old girls danced….and the little sweetie at left was utterly entranced. 

Pretty sure I've seen that one on TikTok.   🤣

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Aaaaaaaand….well, we’ve all been there.  The more remote the location, the less “elegance” one can expect to find.  I understood maybe 10-12 words our guide said, throughout the day.  The A/C on our bus spurted water out of the ceiling vents on 5-6 seats.  (yes, I hear you say, “hey, at least you had a/c”, which is exactly correct, not always the case).  It was horribly hot, I think I do better on cold-cruises rather than hot-ones, but here we are.  And, no surprise, the facilities were, um, modest. 

89FFB43B-454A-46BE-827B-B8D5D9E1304B.thumb.jpeg.825e48641ebc66e550a08d99cfb287e3.jpeg

D4B64501-1216-4B7F-ADA3-9B038218F046.thumb.jpeg.a45b85dee7c4f735541848b5a6597e13.jpeg

A door and toilet paper...no we're talking first class!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

A door and toilet paper...no we're talking first class!

Hahahaha, yes, the TP thing was actually noticeable as conceivably an “upgrade” for these kinds of situations.  And (wasn’t going to post this, but….) as I got back on the bus, I noticed the front seat where the guide sits & has his mic & materials, and whatever else he thinks might be needed for today’s tour.   😉

F45418DF-7FE6-4BA3-92E8-EE43D0259786.thumb.jpeg.b74f343f729852ad944715c995f94f20.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shark b8 said:

(I personally never “got” the breadstick cult-thing, but, as always….ymmv)

I've never quite understood it either.  We've tried them, they are good--but we certainly don't need to eat them everyday we are onboard.  I THOUGHT they were made on the ship.  The main ingredient would be flour.  Is there no flour on the ship?  Hmm....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SLSD said:

“….main ingredient would be flour.  Is there no flour on the ship?  Hmm....”

Exactly.  Mrs Captain Sharkbait said - “it’s flour and water and (maybe) egg.  What is missing, and for how long?!”

• Like 1

Just now, SLSD said:

I've never quite understood it either.  We've tried them, they are good--but we certainly don't need to eat them everyday we are onboard.  I THOUGHT they were made on the ship.  The main ingredient would be flour.  Is there no flour on the ship?  Hmm....

I too am in the don't see the attraction camp.  And at one time they even had a promotional video about them. I watched it before my first Seabourn cruise and thought these must be amazing. Whoa, what a let down. C'mon roll them in some spices and parmesan, or something.   I'll take the CFC chicken for my carb load.

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 2

Just now, shark b8 said:

Hahahaha, yes, the TP thing was actually noticeable as conceivably an “upgrade” for these kinds of situations.  And (wasn’t going to post this, but….) as I got back on the bus, I noticed the front seat where the guide sits & has his mic & materials, and whatever else he thinks might be needed for today’s tour.   😉

F45418DF-7FE6-4BA3-92E8-EE43D0259786.thumb.jpeg.b74f343f729852ad944715c995f94f20.jpeg

I now have this vision of rolls of stacked TP next to water bottles and towels as you exit the ship. 😂

In the late 80's I took the train from Helsinki to Moscow.  We were advised to bring as much toilet paper as we could.  It was gold. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

…C'mon roll them in some spices and parmesan, or something.

Yes.  Exactly.  A couple of times in the TKG there have been breadsticks on the side - they’re thicker, shorter, and have been cooked (fried?) with bits of bacon.

WE WANT THE GOOD BREADSTICKS!   I will now be antifa-breadstick-revolution guy.  I can wear lots of hats simultaneously.  Are you with me?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

Exactly.  Mrs Captain Sharkbait said - “it’s flour and water and (maybe) egg.  What is missing, and for how long?!”

I've been thinking.  The breadsticks are probably made from a pre-made mix.  The kind of mix where the breadstick maker just has to add water.  They are probably out of the mix.   

• Like 2

I'm convinced that the breadsticks recipe changed sometime around 2013. I found them rather addictive when we first sailed Seabourn. Then suddenly one cruise they just weren't so good and have never been since.

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, saminina said:

People raved about the breadsticks.   Something changed.   When I read supply chain issues.....my dirty mind thinks cash flow issues.

And due to cash flow issues, inventory onboard each ship is skinnier--leaving the possibility of running out of key items.  

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Guess the rest of the world is also having “ cash flow” problems!?   Just walk through any retail establishment and note the signs by the empty shelves.   Every business is having supply chain issues, not cash flow problems.

I think it is more likely that Seabourn is having cash flow issues.  They are trying to get around this by stocking less of their usual stock on a ship at any one time--hoping to restock just in time.  While this is not ideal, it is just a fact of life--and not a reason to castigate the cruise line.  This is what happens when money is tight.  

And... at 8:30 AM this morning there is a scheduled "Naked Over-70s Trampoline Tournament" in the Retreat on Deck 11.

I'll leave it for someone else to post a pic of Luca's Bio from the front of today's Herald.

Happy April Fools day

Edited by topkatz
Note about Luca's bio
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, SLSD said:

We love the breadsticks! They are best with lots of butter.  And on a galley tour we did see them being made and handrolled by the hundreds. Mystifying. 

Edited by labonnevie
  • Like 1