Best deck to view canal

curlstravel

For a large part of the transit I prefer a higher outside and forward looking deck, that way you will see what you are approaching on both sides.  However while you are passing through the locks the lower wraparound deck EM mentioned is worth visiting. The lower wraparound deck is more dramatic on ships that are using the original locks.   One of the most popular spots is on the bow of the ship as it approaches the first lock if your ship has access to that area.  In short, no one perfect deck, just be where you can take in the sights.  Transiting the Canal is at a relaxed pace, so there is usually time to get to where you need to be to see whatever is of interest.

There is no one best!! Not sure why anyone would think that. You would like to be on the bow, if available, for a locking. You would also be on the promenade deck. if the ship has one, for a locking. Maybe one locking from the stern, low deck. Fortunately there are multiple locks to pass through, so you can be viewing each from a different location. 

Upper decks for going through the Cut. Front of the ship for the initial approach to the Canal. Be all over the ship!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 1:51 PM, CruiseMomTX said:

We are on the Radiance of the Seas on Feb 27th and wondering the same.  We also have a balcony cabin on deck 9.

No need to wonder.  The answers in the comments above to the OP still hold. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 5:45 PM, curlstravel said:

Which deck is best to view canal?  I have read that lower decks have better views?

The best location to view the canal transit is on the Bridge, but since that isn't available to most pax, the short answer is any outer deck depending on the ship's location.

For the approach to the first set of locks, I prefer a fwd facing deck, preferably higher that doesn't have any glass. This provides the best photograph opportunities. I also use this location for the lake and cut transits.

When in one of the sets of locks, you should visit the promenade deck before lifting or after lowering to get the experience of being able to reach out and touch the side of the lock. It is also impressive to be at the aft end of the promenade deck to watch the rear gates closing.

• Like 1

Panama and the Canal have long played havoc with a lot of people's mental picture of the Canal's route.  Many people, without benefit of consulting a more detailed map of Panama and the Canal, believe the Canal runs along an east west axis.  However in a general direction the Canal runs north to south and to be precise it runs northwest to southeast.  To put it another way, if you start at the north end of the Canal (Atlantic entrance), at the end of your transit (Pacific) you will be about 35 miles further south and 20 miles further east than you were at the start.  Not knowing which half of the transit you are likely to devote to the balcony or which direction you will be transiting I can't really give you my preference for a side of the ship to select.  Probably the most opportune time to take to the balcony is when the ship crosses Gatun Lake.  Generally I prefer balconies that are higher up, but honestly most of the balconies are high enough for good viewing.

Tell us what direction you are planing, it will be easier to help with a choice of sides.  While both sides are rewarding and both have sights that are worth seeing, I do have a side preference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misterjohnny said:

If you are choosing a balcony room for Panama Canal, should the room be higher or lower? I expect to be on the balcony for at least half of the transit. Also, north side or south side of the ship, or does it not matter? Thanks.

Quite likely it will be very warm and humid on your balcony, if you are out there for extended periods. @BillB48 gave you a good response, but I definitely think you are over analyzing this.

Thanks Bill. I knew about the North /South thing but I figured it would be easier to talk west/east since we are going from the Pacific side (Panama City) to the Atlantic side.

the cruise we are looking at is the NCL Joy in December. My thought is to be on the left side of the ship, as that will be in the shade in the morning as we head North through the canal. Of course, I don't know the exact timing of when we go through. We board the ship in Panama City on the 6th, and cruise through the canal on the 7th.

The port side will be the shady side in the morning for the first locks.  Incidentally, you do understand she will use the new locks?  For the first set of locks, the workings will be on the starboard side.  Also, as you leave those locks and proceed up the channel, you will pass the Pedro Miguel locks to starboard in the original channel.  You would want to be high up on the starboard side for that.  By the time to you get to the Agua Clara locks on the Atlantic side, sun will be on you pot side balcony, and the lock workings on the port side.  Joy transited today, westbound.  It’s too bad you weren’t watching the canal cams, and Joys bridgecam…

7A7291B8-285B-4365-948A-BDF198FBA2C1.jpeg

26D60A53-AEA7-406D-9D83-FDF0B07B459B.jpeg

CE552DD8-D27D-442F-B09E-70CF15B051C7.jpeg

Okay, you are a northbound transit and as EM pointed out that is the shadier side of the ship... sort of.  Really the sun should not be much of a problem that time of day and being December there is normally some clouds (not necessarily rain clouds) about to break up any real direct sun.  There are many twists and turns in the Canal, so regardless of where you are the sun will dance around a bit. I think most people will find they will have more issue with the humidity, really not all that hot but humid.  From the Pacific entrance of the Canal all the way to Cocoli Locks there is plenty to take in on both sides of the ship, some of the larger islands in the Bay are on the port side, while great views of the Panama City skyline are available on the starboard side.  Good time to have access to the 360 field of view.  While in the locks thing happen pretty slowly so you will have time to position yourself to take in what ever interests you.  Passing through Cocoli  will take about 2 hours.  As you reach the upper level of Cocoli Locks, the original locks of Miraflores and Pedro Miguel separated by Miraflores Lake will be in view on the starboard side.  You will pass very close to Pedro Miguel Locks as you proceed up the channel to enter Gaillard Cut.

After entering the Cut may be a good time for your balcony if your are looking to take a break.  For the next hour or so you will transiting the Gaillard Cut or perhaps more correctly Culebra Cut as it is officially called now.  Largely similar scenery on both sides of the ship, the notable exception might be Contractor's Hill on the port and Gold Hill on the starboard, the span of water between these two hills denotes the Continental Divide where almost 300' of spoils were removed to reach the original depth of the Canal.

On leaving the Cut on the starboard side will be where the Chagres River empties into the Canal followed immediately by the Canal's Dredging Division Headquarters  in Gamboa where many of their dredges and large cranes are moored.  This will commence the Gatun Lake portion of the transit and is the best place to view ship traffic coming in the opposite direction on the port side.  Suppose your balcony might be calling.  

The next "attraction" would be Agua Clara Locks and your exit into the Atlantic, a great time to try and take in whatever is of interest.

One final thought, I don't know if the Joy has any air draft issues with the Bridge of Americas and therefore need to pass at low tide which could affect arrival time at Cocoli Locks.  Barring that little caveat I would expect you to be at the Locks somewhere between the hours of 7 to 9AM.  EM's had a pic of the Joy in Cocoli at around 5PM which is near high tide today and the Bridge of Americas is fairly close to the Locks, so I don't know what to think... they could have waited after clearing the Locks or there may not be an issue??

• 2 weeks later...