6 Month Rule...Am I in Trouble?

WKUTopperFan

14 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Not for everyone.  My birth certificate is in another language (yes, I'm a US citizen).  Using a passport works better.

I've experienced no delay in San Diego using my passport. (in comparison with other ports I've boarded in)

If a US citizen is born in another country, are they still OK using their birth cert/driver's license for these closed loop cruises?   I guess the Naturalization papers could be presented, but don't know how that works.  

Edited by ldubs

After taking in everyone's valuable comments and opinions I have decided that I will begrudgingly order a birth certificate as a backup to my passport. I would give myself a 97% chance that my passport would easily get me on the ship (I bet most of the screeners aren't even aware of the 6 month rule as the country's Carnival sails to don't have it). However,  I don't want to to take that tiny risk of being denied boarding so I'll have a birth certificate. I should have sent that passport off Nov 28 ( but i doubt id have gotten it back on time)!

When I check in for the cruise I will be typing in my passport.  I intend to use it. My experience is watching that birth certificate line move really slow..

I don't wanna get stuck in it.

27 minutes ago, WKUTopperFan said:

After taking in everyone's valuable comments and opinions I have decided that I will begrudgingly order a birth certificate as a backup to my passport. I would give myself a 97% chance that my passport would easily get me on the ship (I bet most of the screeners aren't even aware of the 6 month rule as the country's Carnival sails to don't have it). However,  I don't want to to take that tiny risk of being denied boarding so I'll have a birth certificate. I should have sent that passport off Nov 28 ( but i doubt id have gotten it back on time)!

When I check in for the cruise I will be typing in my passport.  I intend to use it. My experience is watching that birth certificate line move really slow..

I don't wanna get stuck in it.

There is a 100% chance your passport will be accepted. There is no chance you would be denied boarding. Of course you should order a birth certificate anyway because you should have it. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

If a US citizen is born in another country, are they still OK using their birth cert/driver's license for these closed loop cruises?   I guess the Naturalization papers could be presented, but don't know how that works.  

I'm not sure about that.  This is from the CBP website:

a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)

An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

I figure that applies to adults also (not just under 16s).  Those who were born overseas BUT ON "US SOIL" don't typically have a US birth certificate, but will have the Consular Report of Birth Abroad now. Way back when, when I was born, my parents were issued a birth certificate from the country I was born in.  When I got my own passport as a teenager, I didn't have to present any of those, as I had been included on my mother's passport as a child (they don't do this any longer).  I just had to present my mother's passport and I was given my own, separate one, which I have kept current so I don't have to worry about the foreign language birth certificate or the report of birth abroad (which I had to get when I was 15).

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm not sure about that.  This is from the CBP website:

a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)

An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

I figure that applies to adults also (not just under 16s).  Those who were born overseas BUT ON "US SOIL" don't typically have a US birth certificate, but will have the Consular Report of Birth Abroad now. Way back when, when I was born, my parents were issued a birth certificate from the country I was born in.  When I got my own passport as a teenager, I didn't have to present any of those, as I had been included on my mother's passport as a child (they don't do this any longer).  I just had to present my mother's passport and I was given my own, separate one, which I have kept current so I don't have to worry about the foreign language birth certificate or the report of birth abroad (which I had to get when I was 15).

Thanks.  Mrs Ldubs was born in another country.   She immigrated and is a US citizen.   We have always traveled under our passports so never had occasion to test how this might work for those closed loop cruises.     

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  Mrs Ldubs was born in another country.   She immigrated and is a US citizen.   We have always traveled under our passports so never had occasion to test how this might work for those closed loop cruises.     

A US citizen born abroad will have one of two documents- a Consular Report of Birth Abroad if they were entitled to US citizenship at birth (parent(s) is/are US citizens) or a Naturalization Certificate. These may be presented with a government issued ID to board a closed loop cruise. DW was born in Germany and is a naturalized citizen, so for our first few cruises we used her Naturalization Certificate. Then I found out how much it costs to replace one of those suckers if lost, damaged, or destroyed. Back then it was around $350, now it's over $500. Once we found that out we decided to get a more durable form of ID to use for cruising and settled on the Enhanced Drivers License, since that is an option in our state. Her Naturalization Certificate now stays in our safe deposit box (along with all of her original paperwork from Germany).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

There is a 100% chance your passport will be accepted. There is no chance you would be denied boarding. Of course you should order a birth certificate anyway because you should have it. 

I agree with this although I would add (now that this thread has been moved from the Carnival forum to the Ask a Cruise Question forum) that one does need to verify the cruise line's requirements since they may impose a stricter standard than the one imposed by the government. Some upscale lines do require passports of all passengers and that they have 6 months remaining on them at the end of the voyage.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Charles... after I've thought about it and considered comments I'd come to that opinion.  A passport isn't required for sailing so having one that proves nationality is all that matters. That's all the birth certificate does for those that sail without one. 

I'm going to use my passport to check in with online and at the terminal.  Begrudgingly I'll order a birth certificate as I need one and carry it with me... but have no intention of pulling it out. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 12:15 PM, ontheweb said:

Yes, it is quite simple. If you do not even need a passport, what should it matter if the passport has a expiration date within 6 months. That is as simply put as I can state that.

I once answered someone who asked when does a birth certificate expire.  🤣

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2023 at 10:21 PM, Itried4498 said:

In Long Beach, there’s usually no wait if you’re showing your DL/ birth certificate.  There is a line for passports.  Getting flagged means an additional wait.  Just much faster to use DL/ birth certificate.

We experienced quite the opposite during our January Panorama cruise out of Long Beach.   Those who used passports had their facial recognition process go smoother and quicker, while those with DL/BCs had longer lines.  Using passports, our embarkation and disembarkation was quick, and we were very pleased with the process.  So, it may depend on the particular day.