Alaska Cruise Embarkation Point - Seattle or Vancouver?

LEMJMcC

The one ways can involve considerably more expense for flights and accommodations in Anchorage, and getting from Anchorage to the cruise or vice versa.  

In return, you get the additional opportunity to explore the main part of Alaska, including the Anchorage - Denali - Fairbanks areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

The one ways can involve considerably more expense for flights and accommodations in Anchorage, and getting from Anchorage to the cruise or vice versa.  

In return, you get the additional opportunity to explore the main part of Alaska, including the Anchorage - Denali - Fairbanks areas.

Thanks.  Do one way voyages provide more ports-of-call than roundtrip voyages and is more time given at each port visited?  

We went out of Vancouver.  Arrived 2 days early so we were able to enjoy the city- it's beautiful!  Then a few days afterwards in Anchorage.  

We opted for Vancouver over Seattle as we had some folks on the trip that can be a bit motion sensitive and that passage looked a bit more protected than leaving from Seattle.  And again, glad we did as we all really enjoyed the city.

Vancouver is a fabulous city. We always go there a day or 2 early.

Also, I have found the itineraries better on those cruises.

A lot of Seattle cruises will say they include Victoria BUT that is usually scheduled for around 7pm on the last night of the cruise ! I consider that a non stop !

I can't speak to Vancouver, never been there, done that.  However, last May I did cruise out of Seattle, Pier 91 (I think that was the number) and I really didn't like the port or Seattle in general.  

I'll not critique the city, that's for a different time and different social media. 

But, as far as I can tell and I believe I've read, the terminal is a barely refurbished/remodeled cargo terminal.  The drive up, by any motorized vehicle, cab, Uber, Shuttle, Limo, Bus, whatever, can be a long wait ordeal/experience.  Passenger and baggage drop off isn't in front of the terminal, at least not directly in front/curbside.  The line to get into the terminal can be hundreds of yards long.  The port itself has absolutely no visually appealing attributes and is just too industrial/dirty.  The terminal isn't located along side your ship, it's in between two ships, usually, and that's all you see.  It isn't until you get on the ship that you can see some of the skyline of Seattle.  Most of the port leading to the passenger terminal looks like it is an after thought.  I think Royal would be better off using pier 66 closer to downtown.  But, that has it's drawbacks too.    

EDITED IN:  Parking is another issue, if you are driving in.  I haven't parked there but it looks like the parking right at the terminal, like many other terminals/ports, isn't.  Park and shuttle is the only reasonable option.  Yes, I watched Youtube video where some folks walk from the garage, but it isn't too convenient to walk, especially if you are a senior or ADA.  Oh, and $27.00 per day, for the official port parking garage.

Edited by Ret MP

We have done both cities several times because we live about one hour between each city.

It depends on if you want to do a round trip or a one way.

The one way only departs from Vancouver, while the round trips leave from both cities.

By one way we are talking about going to Seward on a 7 day and not returning from there by ship.

The biggest thing we do not like about Vancouver is that the terminal for departure has a serpentine security line and if there are two or three ships departing the same day it can take over an hour just to get through security and then more time to get checked in with the cruise counters. If you are bad dragging it is very slow.

In Seattle, each ship has a dedicated terminal check in.

• Like 1

As someone who works at Pier 91, allow me to respond.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

But, as far as I can tell and I believe I've read, the terminal is a barely refurbished/remodeled cargo terminal

Pier 91 was built in 2009 when cruise ships were much smaller. The first ship to use Pier 91 was HAL's Amsterdam, which carries 1300 or so passengers.  At the time, no one was imagining mega ships carrying 4800 passengers (RCI Ovation or Quantum).

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

he drive up, by any motorized vehicle, cab, Uber, Shuttle, Limo, Bus, whatever, can be a long wait ordeal/experience.

Depending when you arrive, it can be quite busy and congested.  Once a motor vehicle gets to the  Pier 91 complex, there are 3 dedicated lanes - bus, taxi, private cars ride services. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays there are always two ship at the dock.  The longest wait times would be for the private cars or hired shuttles.  Ride share services (Uber/Lyft) have been moved to a dedicated pick-up drop off area a 10 minute walk from the terminal.  There is also a shuttle van to the Uber/lyft lot.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Passenger and baggage drop off isn't in front of the terminal, at least not directly in front/curbside.

Directly in front of the building is kept clear of all traffic, except for airport transfer buses which will pass thru to their dedicated parking area.  We have lots of transportation/traffic control staff on hand to keep everything moving and everyone safe.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

The line to get into the terminal can be hundreds of yards long.

It can be a long line if everyone shows up at once; or the wifi from the ship to the terminal goes down; or if passengers don't have all their documents out and ready as they move along in the line.  On the other hand, when every thing is humming away, it all goes quickly and smoothly.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

The port itself has absolutely no visually appealing attributes and is just too industrial/dirty. 

Pier 91 is situated in a real working port.  Yes, you will see large commercial fishing boats, and other interesting vessels.  Because we are located in a actual working port, and operate only seasonally, there are no amenities available.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

The terminal isn't located along side your ship, it's in between two ships, usually, and that's all you see. 

The terminal building at Pier 91 is situated between two docks.  Upon arrival at Pier 91, passengers are directed the side of the driveway walkway leading to the building depending on which ship they will be boarding. Passengers can plainly see their ship, and most will figure out which side of the entry way they should be heading.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Most of the port leading to the passenger terminal looks like it is an after thought.

The cruise terminal is used just barely 7 months of the year - Smith Cove (Pier 91) is a working commercial port.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I think Royal would be better off using pier 66 closer to downtown.  But, that has it's drawbacks too.    

Pier 66 is on the Seattle waterfront.  The space in front of it is literally a wide city sidewalk.  I spent some time down there during the very short pandemic cruise season where the ships we sailing at 50% capacity or less.  I can't imagine what a typical embarkation/disembarkation must be like for the NCL megaships (5K).  I will take Pier 91 any day of the week.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Yes, I watched Youtube video where some folks walk from the garage, but it isn't too convenient to walk, especially if you are a senior or ADA.

There is no parking garage at Pier 91.  There is one nearby Pier 66.  There is onsite parking at Pier 91, and a shuttle is provided.

• Like 6

The OPs question about which port to sail from is a good one.

I think the big plus for sailing from Seattle for Americans is the ease of available flights, the option to be able to travel without a passport (but also have the correct alternative proof of citizenship) and the familiarity of embarking from an American city.  Seattle is also a beautiful city, surrounded by natural beauty (two mountain ranges on either side), Mt Rainier, Puget Sound (AKA Salish Sea)

On the other hand, ships sailing from Vancouver follow the inside passage between Vancouver Island and the Canadian mainland.  That part of the cruise is stunning.  In addition, Vancouver, BC is a beautiful world class city.  It is a wonderful place to visit.

I have found that once folks have cruised to Alaska, they want to do it again, and you may find that many fellow cruisers are returning passengers.  The great thing about the Alaska cruises is the various ports you can sail from, whether it is Seattle, Vancouver, BC, Whitter, Alaska or even San Francisco.  Each one has it's own perks. 

So, OP, I would chose which ever departure port works for you this season, and just assume that you will fall in love with Alaska and this cruise will just be your 'first' Alaska cruise.  

Which ever departure port you chose, it will be a win-win for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As someone who works at Pier 91, allow me to respond.

Pier 91 was built in 2009 when cruise ships were much smaller. The first ship to use Pier 91 was HAL's Amsterdam, which carries 1300 or so passengers.  At the time, no one was imagining mega ships carrying 4800 passengers (RCI Ovation or Quantum).

Okay, but that doesn't change my, and others, perception of the Terminal.  It is, not visibly appealing inside.  Portable/temporary curtains in far too many places,.  It just isn't keeping up with the time and looks too haphazard, inside.  

Depending when you arrive, it can be quite busy and congested.  Once a motor vehicle gets to the  Pier 91 complex, there are 3 dedicated lanes - bus, taxi, private cars ride services. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays there are always two ship at the dock.  The longest wait times would be for the private cars or hired shuttles.  Ride share services (Uber/Lyft) have been moved to a dedicated pick-up drop off area a 10 minute walk from the terminal.  There is also a shuttle van to the Uber/lyft lot.

Exactly.  Inconvenient, period.  And the dedicated lanes are held up by pedestrians crossing in mass because they weren't allowed to drop off at curbside.  

Directly in front of the building is kept clear of all traffic, except for airport transfer buses which will pass thru to their dedicated parking area.  We have lots of transportation/traffic control staff on hand to keep everything moving and everyone safe.

Exactly again, I have never been to a terminals where you couldn't drop off you luggage and member(s) of your party curbside, other than Pier 91.  AND, some of those "transportation/traffic control staff are anything but understand/polite.  

It can be a long line if everyone shows up at once; or the wifi from the ship to the terminal goes down; or if passengers don't have all their documents out and ready as they move along in the line.  On the other hand, when every thing is humming away, it all goes quickly and smoothly.

I've only been to Pier 91/Seattle once.  But, there is plenty of folks that say it happens far too often.  If the terminal is a well oiled machine, it would take into account some of those that don't have their documents out or whatever.  Yes, not all terminals handle that well.  But, I've experienced and/or read far too much of it at Terminal 91. Sometimes, with Oasis class ships, Canaveral can have quite a back up to get into the terminal.  No doubt.

Pier 91 is situated in a real working port.  Yes, you will see large commercial fishing boats, and other interesting vessels.  Because we are located in a actual working port, and operate only seasonally, there are no amenities available.

Port Everglades, The Port of Miami, The Port of Canaveral are all working/commercial/industrial ports.  They all have, baring any road and buildings construction, beautiful drive ups to the terminal(s) AND they have their high seasons and low seasons. And virtually no significant traffic backups.  Yes, there are temporary exceptions. But, at Pier 91, 7 months produces a lot of revenue.  Things could be made a lot nicer than they are. 

The terminal building at Pier 91 is situated between two docks.  Upon arrival at Pier 91, passengers are directed the side of the driveway walkway leading to the building depending on which ship they will be boarding. Passengers can plainly see their ship, and most will figure out which side of the entry way they should be heading.

Yep, that is about what I said.  My problem isn't seeing the proper entrance or ships.  That's part of the problem, other than the ships and the terminal, that's about it.  Your like in a very close in valley.  I don't like it.

The cruise terminal is used just barely 7 months of the year - Smith Cove (Pier 91) is a working commercial port.

See comment above.  However, the docking space is utilized much of the time that the cruise ships aren't there.  My point?  Revenue!  Use it to upgrade!

Pier 66 is on the Seattle waterfront.  The space in front of it is literally a wide city sidewalk.  I spent some time down there during the very short pandemic cruise season where the ships we sailing at 50% capacity or less.  I can't imagine what a typical embarkation/disembarkation must be like for the NCL megaships (5K).  I will take Pier 91 any day of the week.

Like I said, Pier 66 would have it's issues.  Ovation was docked there for quite some time preparing for the 2022 Alaska cruise season then moved to Pier 91.  If I'm not mistaken, the first, none revenue producing cruise out of Seattle embarked at Pier 66.  But, that could be wrong.  

There is no parking garage at Pier 91.  There is one nearby Pier 66.  There is onsite parking at Pier 91, and a shuttle is provided.

https://cruiseseattleparking.com/#/pages/pier91

Garage: Potatoes/Paaaaataaaaatooooos.  And it doesn't change the inconvenience of the parking situation.

AND there is a very visible parking garage next to the Pier.  Not sure if it is an official SEA-TAC parking operation or if it serves the Pier or not.  

I understand your desire to set the record straight and in your own way defend the Pier.  But, I know what I experienced and based upon my experience, actual experience, and reading, watching issues with the Pier, I'll not be back. It's not for me and I think folks that haven't ever been there need to go with open eyes.  I'm not trying to talk anyone out of going, I think everyone that wants to try it, should.  That's their decision.  But, I'm glad I did some research into it and I went in with open eyes.  Not having curbside service was not a surprise.  The building/terminal was not a surprise.  The dirt, industrialization, and commercialization of the port, in general, was not a surprise.  I don't think anything I've made issue of was/is untrue.  I may have been misinformed about the Terminal being originally a cargo terminal and I may have used the term Garage instead of Parking lot. But, I believe my impressions aren't off, at least not by much.  And most things are perceptions anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Portable/temporary curtains in far too many places,.

During the 2021 and 2022 season, Covid testing was made available for passengers who arrived at the pier without testing, or missing testing results.  Any Curtained area was for privacy for those passengers testing (both adults and children), or for passengers who had to go thru a secondary health screening.  It isn't a typical feature of the Pier 91 terminal building.

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Exactly.  Inconvenient, period.  And the dedicated lanes are held up by pedestrians crossing in mass because they weren't allowed to drop off at curbside.  

True, we put people and their safety ahead of motor vehicles.  Our goal is to get everyone safely onboard.

13 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Exactly again, I have never been to a terminals where you couldn't drop off you luggage and member(s) of your party curbside, other than Pier 91.

Walking an extra 200 feet while being dropped of in the driveway area of the terminal complex shouldn't be a big deal.  We need to keep the pedestrian crossing free for or passengers.  Longshore porters also will pick-up luggage along the driveway, and the self drop-off luggage areas are all along the driveway area.

18 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

My problem isn't seeing the proper entrance or ships.  That's part of the problem, other than the ships and the terminal, that's about it.  Your like in a very close in valley.  I don't like it.

Not sure what you mean about 'a close in valley'.  Pier 91 is a peninsula - surrounded by water on three sides.

20 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

My point?  Revenue!  Use it to upgrade!

I would imagine that the Port of Seattle that owns and operates most of the Seattle waterfront would be more that happy to receive funding from any of the 5 cruise lines that use Pier 91 for upgrades and improvements.

23 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Ovation was docked there for quite some time preparing for the 2022 Alaska cruise season then moved to Pier 91

Sadly the Ovation had no port to call home from the end of the 2021 season to the beginning of the 2022 season.  It would be anchored off the Washington coast, or do endless trips up and down the west coast.  Every 4-6 weeks it would arrive at Pier 66 to take on more supplies.  I can't imaging what it must have been like for whatever crew was on board during this time.

27 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If I'm not mistaken, the first, none revenue producing cruise out of Seattle embarked at Pier 66.  But, that could be wrong.  

The first cruise ships out of Seattle most likely used Pier 30.  There was a proposal put out to the cruise lines to redevelop Pier 30 (south of DT Seattle and again it would be in a very industrial part of town - you would hate it).  The plan / proposal fell by the wayside in part due to the pandemic.

32 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

AND there is a very visible parking garage next to the Pier. 

After you turn off of 15th Ave and are on the approach overpass going to Pier 91, you can see the recently completed Expedia complex.  They have the only parking garage in the area which of course is for their employees.  All parking at Pier 91 is in various open lots - with available shuttle service. 

Sorry that your single visit to 91 didn't meet your expectations.  Hope there will be another cruise that sails from Pier 91 that catches your interest.  :  )

• Like 1

I live 30 minutes from Seattle and have taken most of my Alaska cruises from there. I really disliked my experience sailing from Canada Place (as referenced above, the serpentine lines were a pain and took 1 hour + because there were 3 ships in port). BUT I would rather take the time to drive up there and wait in line because the scenery was outstanding and the seas much calmer out of Vancouver.  I also enjoyed that we had more time in each port overall.  The Eclipse 7 day last July was the best Alaskan cruise I've been on, thus far.  I haven't sailed Royal to Alaska yet.

1 hour ago, zestyzorra said:

I live 30 minutes from Seattle and have taken most of my Alaska cruises from there. I really disliked my experience sailing from Canada Place (as referenced above, the serpentine lines were a pain and took 1 hour + because there were 3 ships in port). BUT I would rather take the time to drive up there and wait in line because the scenery was outstanding and the seas much calmer out of Vancouver.  I also enjoyed that we had more time in each port overall.  The Eclipse 7 day last July was the best Alaskan cruise I've been on, thus far.  I haven't sailed Royal to Alaska yet.

I work at Canada Place and definitely can confirm that there are long lines at security and US customs but this is typically only on Sundays when several ships are in port. If you plan your check in for early in the morning or later in the afternoon closer to the ship departure time you will not have to wait in long Iines. 

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

During the 2021 and 2022 season, Covid testing was made available for passengers who arrived at the pier without testing, or missing testing results.  Any Curtained area was for privacy for those passengers testing (both adults and children), or for passengers who had to go thru a secondary health screening.  It isn't a typical feature of the Pier 91 terminal building.

No, they were everywhere.  Had nothing to do with Privacy for passengers testing.  I had my drone confiscated by an employee who didn't have a clue what he was doing.  He took it behind a curtain.  I followed and got it back (ugly black curtains, BTW).  We went through security and that was behind curtains.  No that wasn't for privacy.  

True, we put people and their safety ahead of motor vehicles.  Our goal is to get everyone safely onboard.

Wouldn't have that problem, at least not as badly if people were allowed to drop off at the Terminal.  Like other terminals I've been to.

Walking an extra 200 feet while being dropped of in the driveway area of the terminal complex shouldn't be a big deal.  We need to keep the pedestrian crossing free for or passengers.  Longshore porters also will pick-up luggage along the driveway, and the self drop-off luggage areas are all along the driveway area.

Not sure what you mean about 'a close in valley'.  Pier 91 is a peninsula - surrounded by water on three sides.

Glad you feel 200 feet, which is the minimum, isn't much of a problem for seniors and ADA.  When in the Porter/luggage lanes, there are ships on both sides of ya.  It feels like a closed in valley, a small but tall valley.  

I would imagine that the Port of Seattle that owns and operates most of the Seattle waterfront would be more that happy to receive funding from any of the 5 cruise lines that use Pier 91 for upgrades and improvements.

Than why aren't they?  I don't expect that you will have the answer to that.

Sadly the Ovation had no port to call home from the end of the 2021 season to the beginning of the 2022 season.  It would be anchored off the Washington coast, or do endless trips up and down the west coast.  Every 4-6 weeks it would arrive at Pier 66 to take on more supplies.  I can't imaging what it must have been like for whatever crew was on board during this time.

Yes, Ovation did spend a lot of time anchored and/or going around in circles out in the ocean.  But, it also spent a lot of time at Pier 66 welcoming the return of the crew.  Once the crew was assembled, they went out to see to get re-certified and trained.  Chris Wong has a few Youtube videos about that.

The first cruise ships out of Seattle most likely used Pier 30.  There was a proposal put out to the cruise lines to redevelop Pier 30 (south of DT Seattle and again it would be in a very industrial part of town - you would hate it).  The plan / proposal fell by the wayside in part due to the pandemic.

I don't know if I would hate it.  I don't know if it would be any worse than 91.

After you turn off of 15th Ave and are on the approach overpass going to Pier 91, you can see the recently completed Expedia complex.  They have the only parking garage in the area which of course is for their employees.  All parking at Pier 91 is in various open lots - with available shuttle service. 

Yep.  All parking reasonably requires a shuttle especially, like I've said, for seniors and ADA.

You need to look at the parking availability at the Port of Miami and the Port of Canaveral.  Port Everglades doesn't have a garage reasonably close.  But they do have a surface lot that is located very very close to the Terminal.  It's as close to the terminal as 91's baggage lanes are to the terminal.

Sorry that your single visit to 91 didn't meet your expectations.  Hope there will be another cruise that sails from Pier 91 that catches your interest.  :  )

It could happen.  I'm really not that closed minded even though I said I'll never do that again.  Money talks and BSs walks.  I don't pass up good deals because of the above displeasures, unless it's illegal, immoral, unsafe, or fattening.  Wait, scratch that fattening part. 

• Like 1

Alaska was our first cruise on Royal many years ago.  We left from Vancouver one way through the Inside Passage to Seward.  Our ports were Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Icy Straight Point.  One day we sailed by Hubbard Glacier. We also did a 3 day land tour had a little time in Anchorage before the bus to Denali where we stayed overnight could go on an excursion and got to see some of Denali National Park the next day and took the train to Fairbanks.  We were on a riverboat and panned for gold. I can’t remember what else.  Then we flew home. It was amazing!

If you want to see Vancouver, which is a marvelous city, stay a couple of days pre-cruise. Just be aware of what others have said that boarding the ship will take time...so pack your patience. We have left from both ports. Seattle is preferred for boarding, but we would still op for the pre-cruise in Vancouver.

14 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Thanks.  Do one way voyages provide more ports-of-call than roundtrip voyages and is more time given at each port visited?  

One ways include Seward as either embarkation or disembarkation port.  Seward is wonderful. 

Round-trips from Vancouver generally allow for more time in Ketchikan than round trips from Seattle 

Vancouver gives you much better scenery because you are literally on an "inside passage." That also means calmer seas. 

We didn't get to Canada Place until 2:00 and we sailed right in. May have been crowded earlier.

First time we flew to Vancouver.  Second trip we flew to Seattle and took Amtrak to Vancouver which was a lovely trip.

I would look for a cruise that does two out of three among Glacier Bay, College Fjord and Hubbard Glacier.

We went out of Seward last summer (and are going again) and did land before, the Seward “terminal” is basically a warehouse and easy to deal with.  Canada Place was EASY to leave from, so I think we made a good decision 🙂. One ways allow you to do more land based options, unless you only want to do a cruise....

Vancouver for me. Stay at the Pan Pacific which is on Canada Place and the lift takes you to the ship. Never had a problem boarding and loved Vancouver. If you can stay a few days stay on Vancouver Island too. I had a terrific time on whale watching and bear watching tours, saw far more than in Alaska. Fabulous!

Enjoy your cruise.