Turn Down Service Requests

New2cruise2022

Recent feedback on CC is confirming reports of once daily service.

To any current or recently returned cruisers that have experienced this, can twice daily be requested or is it prohibited?

Is any service provided for Pullman/additional bedding throughout the day or is additional bedding prepared at the beginning of the cruise and left until the end?

1 minute ago, wolft927 said:

I am assuming, (bad to do) that any pullman or sofa beds will have a second service in the afternoon.I am also assuming this would have to be requested, but i am sure it can be done. 

Yes. This is the thrust of the topic. Has anyone actually experienced this since the service change? Has actually asked for additional service and actually received it?

I agree with the assumptions that second service should be available for Pullman and sofa bed on a daily basis. And the assumption that it can be done. We are currently at the mercy of firsthand feedback from those that actually requested and/or actually received second service. 

• Like 1

No one knows, but it seems unlikely that a second service will be provided as crew will be off after finishing their service for the day. Likely pullout couches and Pullman beds will be left that way the whole cruise. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

Do you get a choice of morning or evening service?  I prefer evening service.  

That’s a good question for first-hand experiences. Everyone has opinions whether you can or can’t request this based on what they believe the work schedule of the steward should be with the change. But, we will see how this works in actual practice. 

10 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Also, is this new policy for the entire ship, or will Haven or any other categories continue to receive twice daily service?

Haven will still continue to receive both turn down services

• Like 3

We just disembarked the Encore on Sunday (5-day out of Miami).

We were in Cabin 15866 - Spa Balcony Cabin

Our Room Steward was Putu and he provided us with 2 services each day.  Once sometime in the morning to remake the room and then in the evening to turn down the bed, replace any towels/robes and leave the next Daily and other flyers on our bed.

I know that the scale back of services is reported to be slowly rolling out, so perhaps the Encore was not implemented yet.

I suspect they will still have to come into the room later in the day for to at least leave the Daily and other marketing materials.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JandC_Cruising said:

Our Room Steward was Putu and he provided us with 2 services each day.  Once sometime in the morning to remake the room and then in the evening to turn down the bed, replace any towels/robes and leave the next Daily and other flyers on our bed.

I know that the scale back of services is reported to be slowly rolling out, so perhaps the Encore was not implemented yet.

I suspect they will still have to come into the room later in the day for to at least leave the Daily and other marketing materials.  

I could see the desire to get some marketing materials in hands. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

You just need a few low-level message runners to walk the ship and leave the program on your door. 

• Like 2

Just now, New2cruise2022 said:

I could see the desire to get some marketing materials in hands. 

Exactly....whether it's a laundry special, gift shop sale, art auction or other revenue generator, they rely upon the Stewards to drop those off each evening. 

In doing that, I would suspect that many Stewards would continue to pick-up discarded towels or other objects and maybe some other tasks.  After all, those Stewards know that most of us would not respond well (tip wise) if the time was taken to give us the mountain of promotional material but not replace an overused towel from the day if left on the floor as they ask.

Just now, BirdTravels said:

You just need a few low-level message runners to walk the ship and leave the program on your door. 

That is definietly true.  I'd still then be worried about the mess in the hallways as flyer after flyer is flopping around and wantonly discarded by lazy passengers

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

I am assuming, (bad to do) that any pullman or sofa beds will have a second service in the afternoon.I am also assuming this would have to be requested, but i am sure it can be done. 

I assume that beds will be left in sleep configuration throughout the cruise. If you pick 4 beds, you get 4 beds (two mains, pullman, sofa). 

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I assume that beds will be left in sleep configuration throughout the cruise. If you pick 4 beds, you get 4 beds (two mains, pullman, sofa). 

It will be interesting.  Since we are only a couple, the bed "turn down" is honestly a minor issue.  We can easily toss any throw pillows and sham onto the sofa each night 😴

I could imagine some customers having a problem (perhaps even difficulty) dealing with a pullman or other sofa setup each evening themselves if that is left to the passenger to do.  

Our next cruise is March on the Joy (standard balcony since they don't have the spa) so we will see how the announced changes flow through the fleet/organization.

Only two of us.  Do not care about the bed.  I can make it and turn it down.  We shower before dinner.  I would like the bathroom cleaned and towels replaced in the evening.  We can work around it.  Just toss the towels in the tub, assuming we have one.  Then I guess toss them in the shower.

With 22 cabins assigned and the hospitality industry *** average cleaning time of 20 to 25 minutes (high end & suites, 30 minutes+ easily)   

Do the math yourself, it will take your friendly & efficient room "attendant" to take anywhere from 7.5 hours to 9 plus hours, starting with cabin #1 - without taking a lunch or other break at all, to get thru cabin #22.  For earlybirds on a sea day, waiting for housekeeping, you will likely be leaving for dinner by then ... yeah, that's your evening turn-down and daily service all-in-one.  

Balcony and the ones with extra beds, we all know - takes a few minutes more each vs. the studios and inside cabins. Me think, those blue beach towels will be a DIY up at the pool deck, less work for everyone else unless you need & use it ... /s  

Marketing materials, just jam them outside the room - there's a place to hold them, or go digital, sail & sustain.  😆

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

The roll out starts with Epic as of the 1/8 embarkation cruise. This will not be fleet wide until the end of March.

So your cruise would 100% not have had this policy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

With 22 cabins assigned and the hospitality industry *** average cleaning time of 20 to 25 minutes (high end & suites, 30 minutes+ easily)   

There is no way our cabin attendant spent 20 minutes in our cabin each day.  10 minutes, tops.   

20-25 may be the hospitality average where bed linens are being changed and such, but, not what's going on with any cruise I've been on lately.  

And where did the 22 assigned come from?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

There is no way our cabin attendant spent 20 minutes in our cabin each day.  10 minutes, tops.   

20-25 may be the hospitality average where bed linens are being changed and such, but, not what's going on with any cruise I've been on lately.  

And where did the 22 assigned come from?

The 22 supposedly came from a steward talking to a passenger, so take it for what it is worth 

From the horses mouth (obviously this is a single person but is the first firsthand information out there to my knowledge):

On embarkation day, we came in the room with the bunk bed down already. I talked to our cabin steward and he said that they were just told that no more turn down service. Not good because there is no room to move if the top bed is already out the entire day! So he just told us how to put it down. He said he will do the bed daily and put it up. So we were the only ones to pull it down every night.
The room stewards were given 10 extra rooms each with one cleaning daily. They told us it didn’t really help them now that there is no turndown service anymore.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1