Nicaragua Visa

jefwa_32

Does anyone know how to apply for a Nicaragua visa or if one is even needed for a one day port stay in Nicaragua?  My wife is a Chinese citizen but has a USA green card.

I have been calling, emailing, and web searching for weeks but cannot find a definitive answer.

Thanks

2 hours ago, jefwa_32 said:

Does anyone know how to apply for a Nicaragua visa or if one is even needed for a one day port stay in Nicaragua?  My wife is a Chinese citizen but has a USA green card.

I have been calling, emailing, and web searching for weeks but cannot find a definitive answer.

Thanks

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/nicaragua-entry-requirements.html

Foreigners must carry a document with proof of identity with them at all times while in Nicaragua, and face risk of detention if they cannot produce a document when asked. This document may be in the form of a permanent residency card, a temporary residency card, a passport, or a travel document with an entry stamp.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/nicaragua-entry-requirements.html

Foreigners must carry a document with proof of identity with them at all times while in Nicaragua, and face risk of detention if they cannot produce a document when asked. This document may be in the form of a permanent residency card, a temporary residency card, a passport, or a travel document with an entry stamp.

First, that's not an official government website, it's a commercial visa service's website.

Second, even if it's correct it does not address the OP's question, which is whether a visa to enter Nicaragua is required for Chinese citizen who is a legal permanent resident (green card holder) of the US. 

The OP really has to contact the Nicaraguan embassy or consulate to get an answer.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, after many attempts, the only response I received from a consulate is below:

Cuidadanos Chinos que viajan con pasaporte Chino, requieren visa para ingresar a Nicaragua, consulte con la compañia de cruceros si ellos tienen algun convenio o deben solicitar visa para visitar Nicaragua.

Google translate:

"Chinese citizens traveling with a Chinese passport require a visa to enter Nicaragua, check with the cruise company if they have any agreement or must apply for a visa to visit Nicaragua."

So, far I cannot find any official website to apply for a visa and the cruise line says visas are the passenger job.

Any further ideas?  I thought about just staying on the ship and not going ashore but not sure this complies with Nicaragua laws and how travel insurance companies handle this if something goes wrong while in port.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, jefwa_32 said:

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, after many attempts, the only response I received from a consulate is below:

Cuidadanos Chinos que viajan con pasaporte Chino, requieren visa para ingresar a Nicaragua, consulte con la compañia de cruceros si ellos tienen algun convenio o deben solicitar visa para visitar Nicaragua.

Google translate:

"Chinese citizens traveling with a Chinese passport require a visa to enter Nicaragua, check with the cruise company if they have any agreement or must apply for a visa to visit Nicaragua."

So, far I cannot find any official website to apply for a visa and the cruise line says visas are the passenger job.

Any further ideas?  I thought about just staying on the ship and not going ashore but not sure this complies with Nicaragua laws and how travel insurance companies handle this if something goes wrong while in port.

Thanks

The general rule is if you don't have the required visa you won't be allowed to embark, so no...you can't just go and agree to stay onboard.

There are a number of commercial visa services that can assist in obtaining a visa, for a fee of course. Some cruise lines have agreements with visa services that they recommend passengers use. Typically you can find the name of your cruise line's visa service partner on the cruise line's website.

Upon checking the CIBT Visas web page (a visa service I have used before), it says that Chinese citizens in the US looking for a Nicaraguan tourist visa need to apply in person at the Nicaraguan embassy/consulate, making it sound like even a visa service won't help you on this one. Nicaragua has an embassy in DC, and consulates in Houston, LA, Miami, New York, and San Francisco...so it sounds like you may have to physically travel to that place to get it. Pain in the butt if true, and definitely a hassle that may mean this isn't the cruise for you...

Thanks for the updated responses.  I have looked at all the paid services and they all have different information and requirements.  Also, I have emailed and called the Nicaragua embassy and all the consulates in the United States with only one response given above.  Their embassy website (http://consuladodenicaragua.com/) is in Spanish with many broken links and translations show nothing regarding visas or applications that I can find.  We do not live close to any embassy or consulates so traveling to one without any information probably would be a waste of time and expense.

If anyone understands Spanish and can find anything on visas on their website, please let me know.  I just used Google translate.

Thanks

20 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Upon checking the CIBT Visas web page (a visa service I have used before), it says that Chinese citizens in the US looking for a Nicaraguan tourist visa need to apply in person at the Nicaraguan embassy/consulate, making it sound like even a visa service won't help you on this one. Nicaragua has an embassy in DC, and consulates in Houston, LA, Miami, New York, and San Francisco...so it sounds like you may have to physically travel to that place to get it. Pain in the butt if true, and definitely a hassle that may mean this isn't the cruise for you...

I'm not sure that this rules out a visa service. We just ran into that with a Vietnam visa. We didn't have to physically appear but the only way to apply was in person. That's what the visa service does. they operate in Washington DC and sends a person over with your passport and application to apply for you.

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I'm not sure that this rules out a visa service. We just ran into that with a Vietnam visa. We didn't have to physically appear but the only way to apply was in person. That's what the visa service does. they operate in Washington DC and sends a person over with your passport and application to apply for you.

Oh I definitely am familiar with what they do, I use them pretty frequently. I'm just saying, when I entered the criteria for this search (PRC citizen, living in US, tourist visa for Nicaragua), CBIT's website admitted that they can't help you because the Nicaraguan embassy/consulate required the passport holder to be there in person. 

The consulate requires you to make a personal appearance to obtain your visa. For this reason CIBTvisas is unable to assist you with your visa application. We recommend that you contact the consulate directly to obtain the most current forms and requirements before making your personal appearance

20 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Oh I definitely am familiar with what they do, I use them pretty frequently. I'm just saying, when I entered the criteria for this search (PRC citizen, living in US, tourist visa for Nicaragua), CBIT's website admitted that they can't help you because the Nicaraguan embassy/consulate required the passport holder to be there in person. 

The consulate requires you to make a personal appearance to obtain your visa. For this reason CIBTvisas is unable to assist you with your visa application. We recommend that you contact the consulate directly to obtain the most current forms and requirements before making your personal appearance

Ok. I understand now. Yes, it sounds as though it would be difficult to get a visa there. 

1 hour ago, wcook said:

Good luck with your visa issue. Just curious, what cruise are you taking with a port stop in Nicaragua? Sounds cool (other than the visa thing.)

A port call in Nicaragua is very common on full transit Panama Canal cruises. We've been there a number of times.

It would be "cool" if the Nicaraguan government were not a repressive dictatorship that imprisons and even  murders its opponents.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

would be "cool" if the Nicaraguan government were not a repressive dictatorship that imprisons and even  murders its opponents.

I struggle with the ethics of traveling to “bad” countries. For now, I believe the benefits almost always outweigh the negatives. But I completely respect people who feel differently. 

Thanks for all the responses.  I finally heard from the Nicaraguan Consulate in Miami that answered many questions except how much a visa costs, how to pay for it, and if you even need a visa if you stay on the ship (San Juan Del Sur).  Waiting for a reply and hopefully get one.

Below is the response I received for applying for a visa (translated from Spanish with Google translate).   Also, I attached the application form. 

Good afternoon,

The visa application form and requirements are attached.

To apply for a visa, please complete the requirements 1 month prior to your travel date.

The requirements to apply for a visa are the following:

1. Fill out the application form

2. 1 passport size photo with white background

3. Copy of the passport data page, at the time of travel it must be valid for 6 months or more

4. Copy on both sides of the current residence

5. Visa application letter, explaining the reason for your trip, date of entry and exit, details of where you will be staying, if you are a family, name of the person, address, ID and contact telephone number.

6. Bank statement of the last month of the applicant.

You must apply for a visa four weeks in advance, preferable to buy a ticket until you receive an answer.

You can send the paperwork by postal mail 1332 West Flagler st, Miami Fl 33135

FORMULARIO VISA VCA-4.pdf