World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

21 hours ago, nascartony20fan1 said:

Hi there. I am enjoying your posts from the Island Princess. We are booked on her to Norway in July and were thinking about adding a back to back to Iceland. We really need to understand the internet capabilities. Are you posting all this via the ships wifi? How is the internet in general? It is possible to do some remote work on sea days? I am sure some of this is relative to geographic location, but you have been sailing quite a while and I would really love your opinion of the internet aboard Island Princess. I'll be waiting to hear back before I pull the trigger on the back to back cruise. Thanks so much!!!

Christie

Well, your question is very timely.  Until a couple of days ago, I would have said the internet is fantastic.  I had been posting via the ship wifi (and with a VPN) with no trouble for the last few months. 

Emails, websites, fine.  DW has even streamed a few shows on Netflix.

HOWEVER, starting yesterday the wifi speed has been extremely slow.  So slow that I have been unable to post my text and pix for the last three ports.  This does not seem to be a "ship" problem.

I had a discussion with the Internet Cafe Manager - he blames the current geographical position and that we have transferred over to a different satellite.  When I questioned the claim of "the best internet at sea" he countered that every other cruise ship would have a similar problem in this part of the world.  He said it should get better in a few days when we reach central Europe. 

Most of the passengers are unhappy and complaining. 

We did a B2B on IP last summer.  The first was British Isles and the second was Iceland/Greenland. 

Our internet was fine on the first voyage and on the next up until Iceland but nonexistent during the transit from Greenland all the way back to Southampton.  We were at the port in Southampton and still could not get working internet.  Again "satellite" was the reason offered.  Guest Services sent a letter to all cabins and credited us all $100.  (They can keep that, I would prefer working internet!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

How were the black flies as you cruised through the Suez Canal? We went through there on the NCL Jade last November in the opposite direction (from Athens to Dubai), and there were quite a few and very friendly! 😂

Your pictures of Petra also brought back some wonderful memories as well! 😁

Hmm, black flies?  We sat out on the balcony most of the day and were not aware of any insects.

52 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Hmm, black flies?  We sat out on the balcony most of the day and were not aware of any insects.

That's good news. We were in an aft-facing balcony, so they must have liked to hang out there to avoid the breeze from the moving ship. 

6FEA7E67-F738-4C48-9D9B-CEC3E0AE71E4.thumb.jpeg.0477cbc4badf5bd1eef441434f6b7e30.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Well, your question is very timely.  Until a couple of days ago, I would have said the internet is fantastic.  I had been posting via the ship wifi (and with a VPN) with no trouble for the last few months. 

Emails, websites, fine.  DW has even streamed a few shows on Netflix.

HOWEVER, starting yesterday the wifi speed has been extremely slow.  So slow that I have been unable to post my text and pix for the last three ports.  This does not seem to be a "ship" problem.

I had a discussion with the Internet Cafe Manager - he blames the current geographical position and that we have transferred over to a different satellite.  When I questioned the claim of "the best internet at sea" he countered that every other cruise ship would have a similar problem in this part of the world.  He said it should get better in a few days when we reach central Europe. 

Most of the passengers are unhappy and complaining. 

We did a B2B on IP last summer.  The first was British Isles and the second was Iceland/Greenland. 

Our internet was fine on the first voyage and on the next up until Iceland but nonexistent during the transit from Greenland all the way back to Southampton.  We were at the port in Southampton and still could not get working internet.  Again "satellite" was the reason offered.  Guest Services sent a letter to all cabins and credited us all $100.  (They can keep that, I would prefer working internet!)

Oh no. I got too excited and booked the b2b last night. I can’t understand why the internet wouldn’t work In Southampton? Anyhow, now that we are officially on the b2b, I want to understand which days worked and didn’t for you. Worked around UK. Did it work In Southampton at the beginning of cruise? Worked from UK to Iceland, but not from Greenland back to Southampton on the last 5 days of the cruise. Did it work around Iceland? From Iceland to Greenland? Hopefully I haven’t given you a headache with all my questioning. Your insight will better prepare us for planning vacation days and possible work days during our month long journey. Looking forward to hearing back. Enjoy your cruise. 
Christie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Fortunately DW and I have been able to avoid any sickness.  But, it does seem prevalent.  This morning we had a port talk in the crowded Princess Theater.  I counted an average of 5 seconds of silence between scattered coughing before the speaker began.  And some of them were those dreadful "sounds like the TB ward in Bellevue Hospital" coughs.

I do not recall the numbers for this segment, but a new segment starts tomorrow and we will get updated figures for the final leg.

Thank you for your reply! Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

• Like 1

Ashdod, Israel

This is our final pre-booked Princess excursion – Jerusalem and the Dead Sea.  The group of 36, colorful numbered stickers firmly attached, exits the MDR, breezes through the face-to-passport immigration and boards the bus.  Our guide has a heavy accent but is easily understandable as she informs us throughout the tour.

We travel over an hour from the port at Ashdod to Jerusalem, Israel’s largest city. Jerusalem is a sacred place for members of the Jewish, Christian and Muslim faith.

At an overlook we view the walled city and then travel past the Church of All Nations, Temple Mount and Gethsemane – the garden where Judas betrayed Jesus.

Our group enters Jerusalem’s Old City through the Dung Gate and is greeted with music and song.  We are in the midst of one of many Bar Mitzvahs we see today.  Mazel Tov !

We make our way to the Western Wall, also called the Wailing Wall, part of the Temple Mount foundation.  It is the holiest site in Judaism and segregated into sections for men and women. Men are offered a kippah or skull cap and we join others in silent prayer and contemplation.  Some of us contribute to the more than one million prayer notes per year that are inserted into the openings between the stones of the wall.

Although we rush past many small stalls and shopping areas we are not allowed to stop.  We do eventually spend fifteen minutes in a “Princess approved” shop.  Although “everything is 50% off today only!” most is overpriced even with the “discount”. 

The Via Dolorosa with its sequence of Stations of the Cross is next.  This “Sorrowful Way” follows the route Jesus took from his arrest to his crucifixion.  The final stations are in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre which enshrines Christ’s entombment and resurrection.

The church is very very crowded and we are pushed in all directions attempting to view everything and listen to our guide.  We are given some free time to attempt to make our way around the church to visit the Chapel of the Cross, the Tomb of Christ and the Anointing Stone.

We exit the city through the Jaffa Gate and the guide asks a group of Israeli soldiers for permission for us to take their picture. 

It is another 1 ½ hours to our buffet lunch at a resort on the Dead Sea.  The food is good and varied, but sadly nothing is marked.  There was a quite a bit of “What do you think this is ??”  The easily identifiable falafel was a personal favorite.

After lunch we head to the “spa” for a towel and a locker key provided by a grumpy attendant.  The changing room is somewhat of a misnomer.  There are no hooks and nowhere to put your clothes while putting on a swimsuit.  (That became even more problematic later after attempting to use one of only four showers).  The lockers are outside and fortunately there is room for all of our clothing and back packs.

The Dead Sea is the lowest place on earth at nearly 1400 feet below sea level.  Ears were popping on the bus during the journey down.  It is nearly impossible to swim due to the extremely high salt content and we float on our backs suspended in the warm water.  Swimming in the hotel’s pool was another option – the water was cold and we only stuck our toes in.

The hour trip home was unremarkable for our tour group.  Other groups were delayed due to widespread protests and road closures that day in Israel. 

1.thumb.JPG.86fef29df9c8dbaff912a971a12b4971.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.900b7f9a7b24ac587015e7dfe608697f.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.5832f936fafa1209cc7a9c2d0e5d747a.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.8d24d2e8b4246facf2e6b4787b9af36f.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.eb97f326157e5d35ff0729076bec7889.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.3bbb5c8dfca3fe68ca47971a2c13a3a2.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.0fef0517a9145929ae2b343ed50a73ce.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.732fc31f23167cff6055742a6d508c64.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.db8000952d7a09f91626d47f0207c8cc.JPG

10.thumb.JPG.63389e6708b0de2c940b1b9878ca22da.JPG

11.thumb.JPG.937106da3b848ca7b2782b40551a4a6d.JPG

12.thumb.JPG.2c19ff24ee94b0dcf650f8309074e664.JPG

13.thumb.JPG.bc2700c83a74d9c0898ecd27a3cee10e.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.115323484e9799bd2daa3efcb3899158.JPG

16_2.thumb.JPG.7fdf8db9b725f942318b9aabe3a2c63a.JPG

17.thumb.JPG.1aff0979ebc9b85369ae3b5cc9ef18a3.JPG

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Kusadasi, Turkiye

Part One

Today is cloudy and cold - the coldest day we have had on the cruise. The weather app says it is 46 degrees outside with gusty winds.  Our balcony view is not encouraging.

The captain announces they will attempt to dock but there is concern about those windy conditions.  Fortunately we are successful and the early morning weather will not concern us.  We will be spending the next few hours inside at our first Turkish Bath (hammam) experience. 

We are picked up outside the port by Aladin (sic), the owner. His English is very good and we chat on the 20 minute trip to his town.  We are not going to some fancy spa; this is a small family business that caters to locals as well as tourists.

In the hammam we are introduced to his lovely wife Fatima and directed to a lockable changing room. This room has a bench seat, shelf and plenty of hooks for clothing! Traditional woven cloth peshtemal towels and sandals along with verbal instructions are provided. 

Next, 15 minutes in the cedar wood scented dry heat room and we exit with sweat dripping everywhere.

We proceed to a large domed sunlight illuminated room whose dominant feature is an octagonal heated marble slab.  Since we are the only two customers at that time, we lie at opposite ends and are individually attended to by Aladin and Fatima.  DW is provided with a pair of disposable underwear.

First, a rinse with warm water and then total body skin exfoliation with a hand mitt (kessa).  Aladin adjusts the towel as almost every square inch is vigorously scrubbed.  I blanched when I glanced at what was deposited on the working side of the mitt.  Yuck.  (And I had taken a shower earlier that morning).

Directed to a sitting area on the perimeter of the room, we are next doused with buckets of hot then warm then cool water. 

Back on the heated marble slab, first face down and then face up, mounds of thick bubbly foam are placed all over the body.  In this bath ritual, the attendant uses the soapy foam to cleanse and massage.

Aladin entertained us by singing some traditional songs with his nice voice – the acoustics were very good.

Head and hair were washed and massaged. 

A short rinse and then back to the side of the room for a full rinse.

We are dried and wrapped in two different thick towels for the head and the body and then invited to a sitting area to enjoy hot strong Turkish coffee or tea and some bottled water.  Aladin informs us he has become a grandfather – one of his cats just had five kittens.

After relaxing for about fifteen minutes, we proceed to another room for a head to toe full body oil massage.  Aladin explained the product was St. John’s Wort infused massage oil.  Near the end of the massage, a short facial followed by a clay face mask application. 

After almost 2 ½ hours of pampering, we reluctantly put back on our street clothes.  Our bill comes to $55 for the both of us and that includes the round trip transportation!

Aladdin is happy to drop us off anywhere in the city, so we decide to walk around and do some shopping at the Bazaar.

01.thumb.JPG.0fd8f77f4a1e302f48490c2edb4be81f.JPG

1.thumb.jpg.b131fc42e83ad7061e9bcbcdbf4effb6.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.a26d99ac8d9c69be1908882471514821.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.73d559c410f39418a23f0ff99619d2c3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Kusadasi, Turkiye

Part Two

The sun is shining, but it is still windy and chilly.  We wander down the large pedestrian walkway filled with shops and restaurants.  The sidewalks are marble!

As we pass, owners beckon and implore us to shop.  “Let me help you spend your money!”  There are many lovely handmade items and of course, famous Turkish carpets.  We purchased the former, but not the latter.  (Even though DW had the idea that we could “re-decorate” our cabin).

Past the touristy shopping section, we enter a residential area.  Clothes hang to dry on the balconies and men sit outside smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.  Further on we spy an attractive local food store.  The employees speak very little English, but we work it out.  Many of the items are sold in bulk, and they weigh some dried figs and halvah for our afternoon snack.  The store takes credit cards and the cashier smiles when DW attempts to say “Thank You” in Turkish.  J

Returning back to port along the opposite side of the walkway is the local mosque and a small mall.  The food court upstairs features a Subway and Burger King.  The floor surprises with many colorful tiles.

1.thumb.JPG.76664efde4fdfec6936d81779ddb2f42.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.3b83bd60a46422db206956c7e7fa9563.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.685d0018a8275396222edeebf5df19f2.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.0a6a70887f18b29867792002f33a3d89.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.848a0c436eb6bb03242e83ea04a9f3b0.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.8f85b266b4546a30359be0e01ba75c04.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.c189c7c1930c6962a2bae0cfc3ceca84.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.2e752f350c0b6f40303acf28c7e63a16.JPG

10.thumb.JPG.6ed0ec5ac421353b849b0f3f48b5b6c8.JPG

11.thumb.JPG.27d1a735e7f31b47d1b70fb84208f19b.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.6d5810c3ed19d55f509782cabad0259a.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:10 PM, jimdee3636 said:

@We_like_to_cruise:

I apologize if this has been asked already, but I'm wondering about people who take world cruise segments rather than the entire cruise. Are they treated as second-class citizens by the "full" WC cruisers or even by the crew? I'm asking because, due to time constraints and financial reasons, I'd never do an entire WC, but a 20 to 30 day segment might interest me.

Thanks.

You can see what Princess sells online at Princess.com.  That said, the only real short segments of the WC are the two Panama Canal voyages from FL to LA at the beginning and end of the WC on the Island.  You can do those voyages on Island or another opportunity.

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 9:51 AM, nascartony20fan1 said:

Oh no. I got too excited and booked the b2b last night. I can’t understand why the internet wouldn’t work In Southampton? Anyhow, now that we are officially on the b2b, I want to understand which days worked and didn’t for you. Worked around UK. Did it work In Southampton at the beginning of cruise? Worked from UK to Iceland, but not from Greenland back to Southampton on the last 5 days of the cruise. Did it work around Iceland? From Iceland to Greenland? Hopefully I haven’t given you a headache with all my questioning. Your insight will better prepare us for planning vacation days and possible work days during our month long journey. Looking forward to hearing back. Enjoy your cruise. 
Christie

As I said, the internet worked fine for the vast majority of the voyage.  We did a B2B both from Southampton and mostly no problems.  It was only on the last leg from Greenland back to Southampton that we had an issue with poor service.  Iceland was fine.

On this trip it slowed down dramatically the past few days.  But, of course if you use the internet during non-prime hours it is okay.  My last couple of posts have been either early morning or late night. 

I hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since the coffee package has been discontinued and thus is no longer available to trade the Elite beverage setup for, people on some ships have reported they have been able to trade in the beverage setup for $50 OBC.

Do you know if the Island has that option available?

Thanks.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:39 AM, caribill said:

Since the coffee package has been discontinued and thus is no longer available to trade the Elite beverage setup for, people on some ships have reported they have been able to trade in the beverage setup for $50 OBC.

Do you know if the Island has that option available?

Thanks.

I have not heard of that as an option. 

But, I followed up on this idea with room service.  No go.  (I asked for OBC and did not specify an amount).

Our beverage plan already includes specialty coffee, so I just ordered the mini-bar. 

We are asked to call room service with our requested items instead of having a generic set-up delivered and then calling back to exchange unwanted products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wanderers2 said:

I am trying to find out what cocktails are on the Elite Lounge menu these days. 

Would someone have a photo of the menu they could post here?

Many thanks

I have not seen any special cocktails offered - just whatever is always available on the Explorer's Lounge bar menu.  Most people on this cruise do have the beverage package.

Gythion, Greece   

A short tender ride takes us to this small seaport in the Peloponnese region of Greece.  In the distance we see the snow-covered peaks of Mount Profitis Ilias, named for the biblical prophet Elijah.  It is actually on the Greek island of Rhodes hundreds of kilometers east of us but easily visible on this sunny morning.

The town was founded by the gods Hercules and Apollo according to ancient local legend.  Historical writings note it is also where Paris spent his first night with Helen before they fled to Troy to escape from King Menelaus in nearby Sparta.

Walking off the pier we are greeted by the local catch – octopus – that is a featured item at a large taverna. The main street has many neoclassical buildings, some housing restaurants and hotels. 

We make our way upward on the narrow street enjoying the views of the harbor and our cruise ship.  Along the way we pass orange and lemon trees.  At the top of the street we can see the causeway that leads to the Church of Agios Petros at one end and the lighthouse at the other.

The small local road curves as it eventually heads downward.  At the bottom is a busy highway and we cross over to the protected pedestrian walkway.  This is essentially a U-turn and we are now walking directly along the coast from the other direction.  We continue to walk down to the sea level and even from a distance can see how clear the water is along the shore.

Finally we reach the causeway and the little church.  Further on is the Tzannetakis tower, originally a 1700 fortress built to protect the town, later a home to a former Prime Minister of Greece.  It is now a museum, but it appeared to be deserted. 

We walk through pine forests to the tip of the peninsula and the lighthouse – constructed entirely of marble. 

Heading back to town, there is just enough time for some grilled octopus before boarding the Island Princess.

1.thumb.JPG.8405d2e51362cbeb73e254e04d291cdf.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.b2af5d4d0c8d3d4838f0786fd769b816.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.205772e1f45be67bfc38f31c34a13a00.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.6a6e554c536534be4a432c15c4b6dac3.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.a452bb9409a16984a38e8b26985624c9.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.eba81f1963d9872392a69cbbbd877cf2.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.47882fcbec32371b7d262ef386c5aef4.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.cc95af761508282fd649abef40cd01b9.JPG

10.thumb.JPG.1b81b067313e51e3fab7d4c079560866.JPG

13.thumb.JPG.4838e38189227a72c56db1ab77dfa0fe.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.612123fff5ff09f6867af2d8f1fbc5c7.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.f83a02e61b2b4825b90ec31e268d1bb4.JPG

20.thumb.JPG.181ad8f857b341cd0ae80287862d0584.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Ravenna, Italy

Day One

Most cruise ships are no longer able to dock directly at the port in Venice.  So alternate “nearby” ports are used including Ravenna, Italy.  Indeed many of our fellow passengers will be traveling to the City of Bridges with or without Princess excursions, as this is an overnight port. It is also an embarkation port for our final leg of WC2023 ending in Fort Lauderdale.

Having previously spent time in Venice, we set our sights on nearby Bologna.  A port supplied shuttle bus conveniently drops us off in the Ravenna city center only a few blocks from the train station.  The friendly and helpful Trenitalia employee assists in our ticket purchase via an electronic kiosk.  The train is clean and on time and we have no problem getting seats.

The trip takes about an hour and we pass small towns and numerous farms and vineyards.  Since it is early spring the fields are barren, but farmers are busy plowing and preparing for planting.

Bologna is home to the oldest university in the Western world – founded in 1088.  Throughout our day here we see many college students and there is a young vibe to this old city.

From the Bologna Centrale train station we walk through Parco dello Montagnola and are greeted with a very large outdoor market. The Piazza dell’Otto Agosto is filled with hundreds of canopy covered tables.   Most of the items are clothing, hand bags, shoes, cosmetics and household goods.  The frenzied shopping reminds me of the crowds at 6am in Best Buy on Black Friday.  (Before we did all of our shopping online!)  Shoppers tear open boxes and toss them aside in search of their bargains.

It is a sunny but cool day and many people are out enjoying the very large piazzas in the city.  We spend most of the day walking through areas that are pedestrian only – accompanied by hundreds of others.  The Portico de Pavaglione is one of many sheltered walkways. 

Strolling around the city we visit the Fountain of Neptune, the Cathedral of San Pietro, Santo Stefano, the Mercato di Mezzo, Santa Maria della Vita and other tourist sites.

Everyone knows of the famous leaning tower of Pisa.  Bologna features two adjacent leaning medieval towers.  The Torre degli Assinelli is the tallest in the world.  The shorter Torre Garisenda tilts even more than Pisa.  Thank you Kids Corner!

The day would not be complete without some delicious gelato.  We sit outside in the sun and listen to street musicians – one who plays three guitars (one instrument with a dual neck) nearly simultaneously. 

During the train ride home that evening we plan for our day tomorrow in Ravenna.

1.thumb.JPG.f473c8ef7d2eef5dcceae4c84e593b14.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.ce0295be40b1a157e85579abbb9bbe3e.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.63456acfc694c521bc143fc39190ab06.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.b1ea0fbe5768c1cb4ae47de3d3d820b4.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.7829afa2f54781cb660b0202add9dc48.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.1e7c7adaf2da6fa5643efa4c19bee810.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.31c0f4f307d3d1e2aaf85cccce1665d4.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.c0b7e7a81a1bfb5a7c6b0df9f7a849b9.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.4ddbd54f87ebaafdb37132312899688f.JPG

10.thumb.JPG.113c8afa933e8406eff5177eb4479910.JPG

11.thumb.JPG.b5e1e8f37b921003cd58137e2c4c3531.JPG

13.thumb.JPG.83f79ab90cfc5a048715c58e12fd22a5.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.4303b8b14f2166022f4dddf72535e0b1.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.0b9d65eaed6f1ba9ac0be750596530bf.JPG

16.thumb.JPG.8a476afa0d589b664b33babe4e9c7301.JPG

19.thumb.JPG.36b42fc8838e3eee143d92968c5ab408.JPG

20.thumb.JPG.2fa162271b0ae5b0e62aea4c0470cf01.JPG

21.thumb.JPG.8067690bd0623f8310af77daf3f0a078.JPG

22.thumb.JPG.b034e3066199a6419df779632c3a5ad3.JPG

24.thumb.JPG.e33f287ac96f855210ca3cebf29cd197.JPG

26.thumb.JPG.8fa36de968c6dfc7c27617ad2ad15b56.JPG

28.thumb.JPG.a0dfdc2bc5dd0d37e0432bd80f0c589f.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ravenna, Italy

Day Two

Ravenna is renowned for its stunningly beautiful Byzantine mosaics.  This 5th and 6th century art depicts Bible stories, saints and other religious themes.  The mosaics were made with thousands of tiny pieces of glass of different shapes and colors.

After an early shuttle bus drop off we walk a couple of blocks to Basilica di Sant'Apollinare Nuovo.  At the ticket office we purchase admission to five sites (most UNESCO World Heritage Sites) for the inexpensive price of only 25 Euros for both of us.  Two of the sites require a reserved time so we look at a provided map and select our reservations. 

In addition to that basilica, we also have admission to Basilica di San Vitale, Mausoleo di Galla Placidia, Battistero Neoniano and Museo e Cappella Arcivescovile.

The bigliettaio recommends a walking and viewing sequence and we draw it out on our map.  The initial sites we visit on this Sunday morning are not yet too busy and we are in awe.  The mosaics cover walls and ceilings far above us.  The colors glow and the gold sparkles and they truly look like paintings, not mosaics. 

Magnificent ! 

Along the way we visit Dante’s Tomb.  Dante Alighieri, the famous Italian poet and author, wrote the last part of his “Divine Comedy” here in Ravenna.

Today the People’s Plaza, Piazza del Popolo, is hosting an Italian Market Show.  We are invited to sample cheeses and sausages from the many vendors.  It is almost like the free samples at Costco!

Our afternoon reservation to the tiny mausoleum of Galla Placidia, one of the oldest monuments in the city, is the most crowded.  There is some crowd control, but all of our pictures feature other tourists in addition to the mosaics.

We spend hours at the National Museum of Ravenna (free on Sundays!) viewing the archeological collections and exhibits.  A most interesting piece, and the rarest, is the circular Paschal calendar on a large slab of marble.  It was made to determine which day to celebrate Easter during the years  532 AD to  626 AD.  The Council of Nicea in 325 AD declared Easter should be celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.  This date varied every year, hence the calendar.  (I think there is an app for that now.  J)

Quite an appropriate item considering today is Palm Sunday and next week is Easter Sunday.  (BTW, many pedestrians carry blessed olive branches – more common in Italy than palms - given out at church this morning).

Finally we view a simple bird mosaic up close.  The difference is striking between this crude monochromatic figure and the complex multi-hued mosaics we have seen all day.  Yet it brings a certain clarity to the mosaic creation technique and the contrast reinforces our amazement and respect for the artist's works.

1.thumb.JPG.ef802f647914d5f015b32669c9d1312a.JPG

2.5.thumb.JPG.409acc5a8be46c15d0a36980584d241f.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.2534f6449a03ed4cb87aeea126b41e6d.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.76e816f539f5f5a87928ec25482d6132.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.363dbb6484daca8993447877caeac52c.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.74250eede6b89f6710de356391e639c7.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.0fe2e5958234e7d501fb3e8141db4b2f.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.e592d741cd6452fcd03956cc72d32017.JPG

11.thumb.JPG.d216c82b3e6cdf87e4ec2281bfe866fa.JPG

12.5.thumb.JPG.f51e06a65ed4d1ee6f1664107a3bbce4.JPG

12.thumb.JPG.71f6d1ae0311913bcf5a20373cc55e87.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.b8dd6105ab4a9f75e2797c0d10559ae8.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.27a84423256799e0c694ba99900c6038.JPG

17.thumb.JPG.c6b592e3cafb47c50555f62ba25417fe.JPG

18.thumb.JPG.57a8d6f11e8275bc0136b7c23f60c6e4.JPG

24.thumb.JPG.926ffcbe7140fc123e2abf523c42c84d.JPG

26.thumb.JPG.bd2c41f506df655eb02369dbdfa71bea.JPG

27.thumb.JPG.f7aa583f6b7db0e63c0be1d3b5ca168a.JPG

28.thumb.JPG.21d40b84e7c89541ecb34cbae2795cb5.JPG

30.thumb.JPG.7640d570589269bbda19d8955a5251f3.JPG

31.thumb.JPG.6a9af1ce3a0a6ab9f0bd6541f2165429.JPG

32.thumb.JPG.305147bf4eb1bee0f0c97fc4f9550e9d.JPG

40.thumb.JPG.264811cdb44cc7ecc6ebf8f35cf5a038.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Ravenna Italy

Day Three ? ?

According to plan we would be leaving Ravenna after one overnight stay.

Last night the captain made a troubling announcement. Heavy winds (bora) from the mountains adjacent to our next two ports of call would prevent us from safely docking.  So, the decision was made to cancel our visits to Koper, Slovenia and Split, Croatia.  Of course everyone was disappointed and unhappy. 

He explained they looked into alternatives but were unsuccessful.  To help minimize our exposure to that weather system we would stay in Ravenna overnight again and leave at lunchtime the next day.  A shuttle service would be available for a few hours in the morning for those who wanted to go into town.

Instead, some of us, myself included, elected to walk the few miles around the port to an adjacent paved pier and beach.  Perhaps you can see the tiny strip of pier in the first picture, taken from our balcony.

Chilly and certainly windy – the flags were at attention - but sunny for the brisk walk there and back.

1.thumb.JPG.08fdc4de569399096b6f301f24bb4e46.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.4cb4ee511c196c47b245b825428f00b4.JPG

2-5.thumb.JPG.8d5d3db8ddd0d4dbf6cd8cca8eeaae6c.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.873f658200cd2c9ade60465a091b9fc7.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.505b33a3e5636a1f1ad5755721126eda.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.0bf80a4aaa0c78984b8c4a195c62f52d.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.867cd4d5f49d3f17ad69bfbfe00ddf96.JPG

• Like 7

Kotor, Montenegro

Montenegro (“Black Mountain” due to the tree coverage on the mountains that make them look black) is on the southern Adriatic Sea.  Our destination, Kotor, is at the end of the Bay of Kotor. 

The 20+ mile sail-in to this port is generally very picturesque.  The views of small towns nestled among the steep mountains surrounding this narrow channel are reminiscent of a river cruise or a Norwegian fjord. Unfortunately our early morning arrival and gloomy weather mars the usual beauty of this journey.  Perhaps we will have more luck at sail-away.

The tender trip is brief – five minutes.  It takes longer to board passengers than to get from the ship to the shore.

A block away is the Main Gate entrance to Kotor, one of three.  There are no cars allowed and we see tradesmen bringing their goods in with large hand drawn wagons.  The weather is chilly and cloudy with an occasional spit of rain.   When we ask a shopkeeper if it will get warmer she replies “Next week.”   Oh well.

The walled city has many twists and turns with narrow cobblestone alleyways and stone stairways.  We enter into the large Arms Square and try to follow a walking tour map.  Sites we visit include the Pima Palace, St. Tryphon Cathedral, and Saint Nichola’s Serbian Orthodox Church.  Cats preen and pose for pictures.  A burst of color near the Northern Gate reminds us spring is on the way, just not today!

There are numerous entrances to the Fortress high above the city.  I accompany DW part way for some elevated views of the city and the harbor.  She continues onward with a friend – way too many steps (nearly 1500!) for my torn meniscus knee.  I read online that the trek is like walking up a 72-story building.  They visit the Church of Our Lady of Health (Remedy) and St. John Fortress.

At the top they follow other hikers to a switchback path down into town.  It sounds crazy, but they must crawl through a window opening in the fort and down a rickety ladder to get to the path.  Picture attached below.  Now I am really glad I passed on that part of the walk.  Maybe next time...  (I don’t think so!)

Instead, I headed to the streets outside the walled city.  At an open market, merchants were selling fresh fruits and vegetables including figs, kumquats and huge bags of porcini mushrooms. Further down the road were small businesses and a supermarket.

By sail away at 5 pm the skies had brightened.  Our scenic voyage out of the Bay of Kotor was magical!

1.thumb.JPG.a7eab09dd4ffa646e16e61830e4dc81b.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.d38932c2035b9d1e58c71d0d7e659379.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.04281bccf72b3d56bc32a61f50243c65.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.cca3b1c0ce838dbf4e08b2ed60295912.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.de617f40a78b0a86d8f6969b13eb6e55.JPG

8.5.thumb.JPG.cbbc053b4c331cadb0983eb8ed8cdbe2.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.6991afaeb2aa484eeb046564cae79362.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.42a854e7635982352a5217aced23d546.JPG

12.thumb.JPG.8bd77b4f1470e09c1cad720fc92d3579.JPG

13.thumb.JPG.6197d16b6f89829b6b469fc21d83d479.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.8dc82e5994f945b395fd5ffa0a9d6a25.JPG

18.thumb.jpg.ca3237d2b24bc59ef32030e21c4b7fa9.jpg

19.5.thumb.jpg.67951aab893358304a8a9768ef9c7787.jpg

19.thumb.jpg.099994ad153127d1964db7b3a9760942.jpg

21.thumb.JPG.b9ce68dd264b2a07b7ca23b832f1c630.JPG

22.thumb.JPG.839f1921dd4b89806e7fea0fa856f2f4.JPG

23.thumb.JPG.ced233c0d35f06d6039ba495b35cae51.JPG

• Like 8

Itinerary Change

Last night we received a letter in our stateroom.  On Easter Sunday, the port of Sorrento, Italy will be replaced with Naples, Italy.  The reason given was that in Naples we could dock directly at the pier versus a water shuttle tender operation in Sorrento.  (Not such great news for those who purchased advance ferry tickets from Sorrento to Capri.)  This change of itinerary "will provide our guests with a more seamless shore excursion experience". 

Future Updates

The upcoming week has us at a different port each day - seven in a row.

I usually post during some free time on a sea day, giving me time to compose my thoughts and pick out pictures. 

When time permits I will post again, but probably not too soon !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Future Updates

The upcoming week has us at a different port each day - seven in a row.

I usually post during some free time on a sea day, giving me time to compose my thoughts and pick out pictures. 

When time permits I will post again, but probably not too soon !

ENJOY!

Cheers

• Like 1