Trans Atlantic repo help with packing/womens clothing options

nimbex1970

We have not done a transatlantic, nor repo cruise where the weather is "chilly" and warm, nor one that is two plus weeks.  Add to this, that we are new to Norwegian. We booked the Epic and the Bliss.  Both are a bit out, but I'm trying to plan how reasonable husbands choices are, so please help a gal, I don't want four big suitcases:

1. Do you pack for a week and have your clothes laundered by the steward, or are there laundry facilities? If the steward does them, how much per bag?

2. Do you bring umpteen large suitcases full of clothing changes for a changing climate, ship day wear and nightwear?

3. On large ships such as these, is anyone going to really notice my recycling the same outfits?

4. I was thinking of one black skirt and one black pair of pants for the evening with a change of shirts... therefore only one pair of evening shoes, is this the way to go? I am thinking of at least one backup pair if they break.

5. If there are do-it-yourself laundry areas, am I allowed to bring my preferred detergent and softener or are these not allowed by the security?

6. If there is do-it-yourself laundry, do you bring laundry bags on board with you?, trying to navigate this in my head if I have to travel with laundry.

7. shoes; sneakers for touring, sandles for the ship, dress-up sandles for the ship, evening shoes... ugh! share some pictures!

Thank you all so very much in advance for your help.

We did do a transatlantic Rome to Miami last year, quite enjoyed it (Getaway)

1.  We Use the laundry facilities..(the steward picks up and delivers, at most one day service). Stuff a laundry bag for (last I heard $29.99) we are sapphire so we each get one free, but even before that we paid.  Caveat..high heat dryers, so nothing delicate if you are worried.someone said take a picture as sometimes things can get lost..my friend had a sock go missing, but it was no hassle, she got credited obc.
Also they have a rule string in the shower area if you want to hand wash small items.  I pick two colors and try to pack around that, layer, layer..and I find the ship cool in the evenings so I pack a few light sweaters..

2.  We keep to one bag and one carton, and use packing cubes..and I still have clothes I haven’t worn.  We also fly usually so that limits suitcases

3.  Nope.  Unless you are wearing truly memorable taffeta or sparkly stuff, and even then won’t care..you do you.  

4. sounds good.  I bring flip flops, comfortable sturdy shoes sor shore excursions, ballet flats, and wear comfy slip on lots for the plain.  My boots and shoes are waterproof 

5.  no self serve laundry on ncl

6. Nope

7.  Nope

8.  See 4

• Like 1

Did an April trans Atlantic.

Sturdy walking shoes/sneakers for tours, ballet flats, flip flops.

Stuck to 3 pairs jeans, several pairs of leggings as you can roll them for space, several tshirts and tops that can be hand washed in sink  2 pair pajamas, 1 hoodie. one sweater,  rain slicker, underwear, a few pairs of shorts if weather got warmer. I don’t use public pools or hot tubs so no bathing suits or cover ups was needed by me.

I could of taken more as I didn’t need to fly lived in Jersey at time and port was in NY, but still didn’t want more then 1 suitcase

Used the $29 bag for laundry, roll the clothes tight and stuff that bag.

I have a TA booked for April 2024 and I’ll do same as far as clothes 

Everyone is having too much fun to focus on what anyone is wearing and if it’s been worn before.

Edited by njkate
  • Like 2

Did the Getways's 1st Atlantic Crossing in January 2014 (Southampton, U.K. to New York City).  Had one backpack and one 24" inch suitcase.   Took jeans, a couple of black slacks, one long dress, one dress I would wear to chruch, sweaters, two pairs of flats, underwear, nightwear.

Sent things out at mid cruise (Fill The Bag Promotion).

Relax and enjoy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hadacareer said:

Unless you are wearing truly memorable taffeta or sparkly stuff,

I was gonna suggest the OP dress in layers of sensible clothes that coordinate well. Various shades of black, white and grey. But your plan for her to wear “memorable taffeta and sparkles” is much better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

We have not done a transatlantic, nor repo cruise where the weather is "chilly" and warm, nor one that is two plus weeks.  Add to this, that we are new to Norwegian. We booked the Epic and the Bliss.  Both are a bit out, but I'm trying to plan how reasonable husbands choices are, so please help a gal, I don't want four big suitcases:

Thank you all so very much in advance for your help.

Put all the clothes you think you need on the bed.

Put all the money you think you will spend on the bed.

Put half the clothes back in the closet.

Double the money.

Now,  you're ready to pack.

• Like 3

I have done 6 TAs and other than one in April never had it be cool if you are heading  West it should be nice the whole way.  Take less clothes they usually have a deal halfway thru the cruise for laundry .  Focus more on one suitcase than how many outfits,  don't bother with  dressy unless you like to dress up.  

Bring 2 pairs of shoes and flip flops, a hooded sweatshirt and a jacket that can fit over it and you will be fine.

Edited by fredflint
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, wcook said:

I was gonna suggest the OP dress in layers of sensible clothes that coordinate well. Various shades of black, white and grey. But your plan for her to wear “memorable taffeta and sparkles” is much better. 

13 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

First and foremost, no one cares what you wear.

Second, there is no dress code for women. For Gents, shorts are acceptable in all restaurants for all meals except: Epic (Le Bistro and Manhattan MDR); Bliss (Le Bistro and Ocean Blue). So it is pretty low key. Yeah, folks on a TA tend to dress up a bit, but you could wear the same outfit every night and no one would give it a second look. 

Assume that you'll get a couple of $29 fill-a-bag laundry days for undergarments. 

So,,, how do you pack?

Comfort... 

Make sure that you have the proper clothing for your ports of call (based on temperature). Walking/tennis shoes. 

Have a few sets of clothes for comfortable day time ware. Walking/tennis shoes are fine. Sandals are fine. Flip flops are fine. 

Have a few set of evening cloths. Nothing more. Nothing fancy (unless you really want) - simple dress; a blouse and pants are fine. Sandals are fine. I carry one set of dressy shoes, but they never ever come out. Just some flats. You don't need a different outfit every night. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, njkate said:

Did an April trans Atlantic.

Sturdy walking shoes/sneakers for tours, ballet flats, flip flops.

Stuck to 3 pairs jeans, several pairs of leggings as you can roll them for space, several tshirts and tops that can be hand washed in sink  2 pair pajamas, 1 hoodie. one sweater,  rain slicker, underwear, a few pairs of shorts if weather got warmer. I don’t use public pools or hot tubs so no bathing suits or cover ups was needed by me.

I could of taken more as I didn’t need to fly lived in Jersey at time and port was in NY, but still didn’t want more then 1 suitcase

Used the $29 bag for laundry, roll the clothes tight and stuff that bag.

I have a TA booked for April 2024 and I’ll do same as far as clothes 

Everyone is having too much fun to focus on what anyone is wearing and if it’s been worn before.

Are you doing Escape April 2024 to Rome

• Like 1

ok, thanks folks.. We are flying from Alaska and I thought my husband was crazy for booking 19 days, blew my packing mind. We will need to keep bags to a minimum.  Knowing they can wash our clothes and I need to pack comfortably but keen helps me not want to cancel this.  

Now I can be excited for my first NCL cruise!  Appreciate all the replies!