Classes on P&O

davecttr

I like to have a lurk around the non UK bits of CC and noticed that on some other main stream lines they appear to be introducing passenger classes such as the Yacht Club on MSC and of course the Grills on Cunard. This includes designated areas of the ship where steerage class are banned. There is no sign of this on P&O and the retreat does not count as it is open to all. Does this mean that Carnival are repositioning P&O into the Carnival bracket? Another clue is a ship within a ship would require constructing for this or an extensive refit. Also there is no sign of Carnival thinking there is any demand in the UK market. Cunard is not aimed at the UK market with the dollar as the onboard currency. Maybe they have just missed the boat so to speak.

• Like 5

From what I know, Carnival group don't tend to operate the 'ship within a ship' model. Cunard is a very 'mild' version of this. From discussion threads on here, many of us feel that Carnival are edging P&O down to the 'budget' end of cruising and as such unlikely to operate such a system. Time will tell I suppose...

• Like 2

You mention repositioning, and that’s been an ongoing process with P&O for around 10 years now, I’d say, accelerating rather faster over the last 5 years, and faster still since COVID. It’s a very different animal indeed from the old pre-Carnival P&O, catering very much more for the mass market. Thomsons/TUI rather than Kuoni.

I’m not at all keen on two-class ships, and I can’t see it coming any time soon to P&O. Saga claim to be one class, but all superior class - maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but they’re certainly picking up quite a few defections from P&O, and I suspect that was their plan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Britboys said:

From what I know, Carnival group don't tend to operate the 'ship within a ship' model. Cunard is a very 'mild' version of this. From discussion threads on here, many of us feel that Carnival are edging P&O down to the 'budget' end of cruising and as such unlikely to operate such a system. Time will tell I suppose...

I would assume from their basic pricing that MSC also wants to tap into the budget market. I am not sure what those paying for the categories below Yacht club think of sharing the ship with passengers paying a much lower price.

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You mention repositioning, and that’s been an ongoing process with P&O for around 10 years now, I’d say, accelerating rather faster over the last 5 years, and faster still since COVID. It’s a very different animal indeed from the old pre-Carnival P&O, catering very much more for the mass market. Thomsons/TUI rather than Kuoni.

I’m not at all keen on two-class ships, and I can’t see it coming any time soon to P&O. Saga claim to be one class, but all superior class - maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but they’re certainly picking up quite a few defections from P&O, and I suspect that was their plan.

Harry until you have sailed again on P&O, I think you ought to reserve judgement on how much lower it has slipped since your last cruise, it may well surprise you.

We have now done 2 cruises since covid and although there are some menu quality changes, these are no worse than the slippage we experienced around 2015, and this had improved considerably by the time of our last cruise in 2019. As for the service I am hoping that once they are back to full staffing, and everyone is fully trained, that this will also improve.

• Like 6

Like others, having paid for my cruise, I expect P and O to provide me with good meals.   I rather object to paying extra.  The idea that you may no longer order a pot of fresh coffee with room service in the mornings is appalling.  I don’t drink instant coffee at home and certainly object to paying thousands of pounds to drink it on a cruise.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

I like to have a lurk around the non UK bits of CC and noticed that on some other main stream lines they appear to be introducing passenger classes such as the Yacht Club on MSC and of course the Grills on Cunard. This includes designated areas of the ship where steerage class are banned. There is no sign of this on P&O and the retreat does not count as it is open to all. Does this mean that Carnival are repositioning P&O into the Carnival bracket? Another clue is a ship within a ship would require constructing for this or an extensive refit. Also there is no sign of Carnival thinking there is any demand in the UK market. Cunard is not aimed at the UK market with the dollar as the onboard currency. Maybe they have just missed the boat so to speak.

Celebrity retro fitted the suite class retreat on the older ships using the Michaels club and what used to be pancakes on five, basketball court  etc for “ship within the ship” venues. So it can be done with current ships if P&O had a mind to do so. 

MSC Yacht Club on older ships like Presiosa is not all in the one place either.

The newer MSC ships have a bespoke Yacht Club where both your cabin and all the amenities are behind closed doors (except for those in the duplex suites which are a couple of decks below). So once in the yacht club your suite, Top Sail Lounge, restaurant, concierge, pool area, sunbeds  and outdoor buffet etc are all within the YC complex at the front of the ship. I prefer this version, event to grills on Cunard.

No one not in Yacht club need know that there is a class system. They would have to look for YC to find it. The only other clue is the separate entry to get back onboard, avoiding long queues and a small reserved seating area in the theatre. It works well as a concept

I don’t book suites now on P&O as the perks don’t justify the cost, for me anyway. It would be interesting and perfectly feasible if they did consider this concept but the new builds probably do not have enough full suites to justify it.

I prefer the MSC version.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I would assume from their basic pricing that MSC also wants to tap into the budget market. I am not sure what those paying for the categories below Yacht club think of sharing the ship with passengers paying a much lower price.

Yes they are aiming at all markets from what I cane see.

MSC offers “experiences” rather than classes and there are four of them. Those on Bella (basic price)  and Fatastica share the main restaurants and have fixed dining. These can be very competitively priced and offer basic drinks (better wines & drinks onboard are much more expensive).

Aurea have better located cabins (like select) and can dine when they like in their separate restaurant. They also get some other perks.

Yacht Club is the ship within the ship complex.

We have been on MSC 3 times in the Yacht Club and if I’m honest I would not travel with them any other way. That’s not because there is anything wrong with the other experiences, from what I can see they look fine and lots of happy passengers. It’s because the YC experience is so good, if a bit pricey.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

No, that is not an exaggeration by Saga. IMO they are easily equal to Oceania with the added benefit of being priced in £ not $, AI and all balconies where Oceania ships still have inside and ocean view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1