Riviera re-inspiration

jjeffjb

23 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Wasn't there a desk across from the loveseat, where the two chairs and round table are now?

GC

There was  but I guess so many complained about the table/chairs at the end of the bed  they  moved things around 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/penthouse-suite-311074/penthouse-suite--v14123587/

Be careful what you ask for  🙂

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

There was  but I guess so many complained about the table/chairs at the end of the bed  they  moved things around 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/penthouse-suite-311074/penthouse-suite--v14123587/

Be careful what you ask for  🙂

We actually used to use those silly (and not particularly comfortable) chairs at the foot of the bed when we had our dinners served when we couldn't get extra reservations from the Specialties.  "It worked..."  (I admit that we might have put a dish or platter or two on the bed itself while we ate from the table.)

It looks like one of those square seats has been removed to show the foot of the bed area.

But what I see in the comparison of the old vs. new is that the window next to the love seat now has a heavy curtain that obscures much of the window (and thus the light) even when the curtain is, uh, "open".  Previously, it seems to have been a shade/blind that was lifted, keeping the entire window nice and clear.

I also can't quite see what is between the bed headboard and the loveseat, if anything.  We happened to like the divider.  It made it just a bit like a so-called "suite" to have some sort of divider rather than having the "sitting area" right next to the bed.  But that's not a big deal at all.  That heavy curtain obscuring part of that smaller window... "who does that!?" 😉 

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

It looks like one of those square seats has been removed to show the foot of the bed area.

GC

click on the next picture  from the old version

Yes they look like the divider curtains were removed

not fond of the carpets either  but hey it is not my ship 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We actually used to use those silly (and not particularly comfortable) chairs at the foot of the bed when we had our dinners served when we couldn't get extra reservations from the Specialties.  "It worked..."  (I admit that we might have put a dish or platter or two on the bed itself while we ate from the table.)

But what I see in the comparison of the old vs. new is that the window next to the love seat now has a heavy curtain that obscures much of the window (and thus the light) even when the curtain is, uh, "open".  Previously, it seems to have been a shade/blind that was lifted, keeping the entire window nice and clear.

I also can't quite see what is between the bed headboard and the loveseat, if anything.  We happened to like the divider.  It made it just a bit like a so-called "suite" to have some sort of divider rather than having the "sitting area" right next to the bed.  But that's not a big deal at all.  That heavy curtain obscuring part of that smaller window... "who does that!?" 😉 

GC

I think it looks great and cant wait to see and enjoy the new colors and furniture..the chairs an table at the bottom of the bed were a big waste this is much better..IMHO

Looking forward to March trip!!!

Jancruz1

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yeah, not a particularly attractive design, even for a carpet.

But what really bothers me is the darkness... not just that loss of light, but the dark color of that loveseat and chair, and also the color of the drapes on the window and doors.  And a dark picture over that dark loveseat?

I would have expected something that would be helpful to keep things "brighter".

But right... "not my circus, not my ship", to mix trite sayings...

We are still looking forward to a chance to return!

GC

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

There never were divider curtains..they were small curtains for show..

FDR does not believe in dividing the cabin..

Jancruz1

That is what I meant  

they are now gone

14 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

There never were divider curtains..they were small curtains for show..

FDR does not believe in dividing the cabin..

Jancruz1

Correct, but that small wall divider (IIRC) plus that narrow drapery did provide a bit of separation.  We commented about it the first time we were on the Riviera, and that we liked the tiny bit of visual separation... just a bit different from it being "one big room", and I'll pass on my comments about when and how did a "larger room" become a "suite", be it on a ship or in a hotel.  OTOH, we always prefer a larger room than what might be a larger total space that is chopped up into two small spaces.

But... "you can't please everyone", etc.

We found the Riviera PH really perfect, and alas, including that walk-in closet.  What a convenient place to stash a few things quickly to keep the "visible room" nice and uncluttered!

And thank goodness they kept a few PHs with the bathtub.  That was a nice surprise.  It's such a luxury on vacations.

They didn't change that larger Therapy Pool on the spa deck, did they?

GC

14 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

Can you believe it?  Some of us actually like the new arrangement and design and consider it an improvement over the previous version 🙂

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I kind of agree that the divider mini walls & curtain gave a more suite feel, but I guess the designers wanted to open up the room to make it appear more spacious. But then they put in that heavier window curtain. 🤷‍♀️

The new chair opposite the loveseat is an awful design, imo, as are the two white chairs at the glass table for eating. They look cheap when compared to the rest of the room design, especially with the surrounding elegance of all the wainscoting. They added wainscoting in the veranda cabins too, which I think was impressive and looks expensive. 

I agree about the carpet being awful. It’s a design I wouldn’t want to look at if I were the least bit seasick! From pictures, the carpeting in Horizons bothers me in the same manner - though only in gray tones, the pattern is big and “loud.”

18 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for sharing your insights & to know about the TINY showers…wonder if they’re smaller than in most Princess cabins. Although we have used a tiny shower at home for many decades. ☺️

I've never sailed Princess so I couldn't speak to that.  Shower or not, our cruise on Regatta was a joy.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:38 AM, jjeffjb said:

We are currently onboard Riviera in a standard balcony stateroom.  The new bath design is a game changer.  It feels spacious and luxurious.  The stateroom re-inspiration is lovely.  With regards to the public rooms, it doesn't feel like there's been a major change.  In part, because they've kept all of the art work.  The furnishing mostly retain there design but with a more neutral color palette. It is the staterooms where the transformation is most apparent.  All in all, the ship feels and looks fantastic.

We were just on Rivieria.

Loved the fact it has been "renewed" as opposed to "re-inspired".

Loved the bigger bathrooms. Loved the re-designed cabins, my Wife said must be designed by a Woman as there is more than ample storage LOL.

A few points (not complaints). Layout is the same as before. (been on Rivieria prior to refit). Furniture is a bit low for my tastes and difficult to get out of for older folk, which are the primary clientele. Chairs in Terrace are heavy and do not slide well on the carpeted floor when trying to sit at the tables. Tables in Terrace Cafe were very close together and during busy breakfasts and lunches, was difficult to find a path to and from the buffet.  Redecorating of Jaques, in our opinion, took away that "French bistro" look.

A great ship, a great trip, great service throughout and lived up up all our expectations.

• Like 3

On 1/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, the more ports the better said:

We’ll be on Riveria Tuesday in a PH.  We’ll post pictures.  Really excited to see the new rooms.

Would you please tell us where the USB ports are in the PH suites?  More 110 plugs too?

Attached are pics of new PH.  We really love the changes.  The rooms are very light and bright.  The closet has new lighting and light colors too, very nice.  The bathrooms are fabulous with great lighting, in the past, I have asked for higher watt bulbs in the bathroom it was so dark.  USB plugs both A and C are on both sides of the bed and under the TV.  US and EU outlets in all those places plus at the desk.

The entire ship looks great.  We really have no complaints, do kind of miss a little bit of blue as we are at sea but the green is growing on me.

B9E7F018-CD63-4688-9C2C-ACA79E0748BA.jpeg

93816FBD-9B55-424C-9CF7-A54C43A5EB6E.jpeg

BA8F4921-B4FB-4106-8934-AE65069A000C.jpeg

18B6D33D-000C-4AE2-B8C1-D32BDAC35C64.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The table and chairs in the corner is larger than it looks in the pictures.  Big enough for a meal, maybe not thanksgiving dinner but two plates, bowls, salad plates and drinks, no problem.

Balcony furniture is very comfortable.  Table outside is large enough to have lunch too.

• Like 1

Wow, sleeping with it is making me crazy!  Hopefully, it gets better.  I was stacking up pillows to prop my torso as I had an unplanned procedure 11 days prior to sailing and the Dr insisted that I sleep upright.  My stateroom attendant offered to get the two wedges.  I bought one at home didn’t even consider that they would have them on the ship.  Just ask, and I’m sure they will get one for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NeedToChill said:

Thank you so much. And very glad to hear the table is a good size for the intended purpose!

The funny thing is, that round table looks a bit high for the chairs. Were they a comfortable height? Also, to me, the white chairs look a bit cheap, unlike the rest of the room. But I’m sure that’s just me. 

The veranda cabins’ bathrooms have all been enlarged by removing the tub, but these PH bathrooms look ginormous! The shower stall looks nearly as large as ours at home. I do wish they’d put in a nice ledge the way all Viking ships’ showers have, perfect for shaving your legs, and easier to put all my little travel size products on, plus my net scrubby thing (what are those officially called?)!

There are two racks on the back wall of the shower each about 16 inches by 5 inches.  Plenty of space for all bath products.  Also there is a foot bar for shaving.  Very convenient.  

I blew off the evening activities, Captains Party etc and had a massage.  Usually O massages are very good to excellent.  This one was mediocre if I’m being generous.  1.5 hours, $418.00 with included gratuity, $832.00 for the two of us.  I knew prices increased but that price is just insulting, double the St Regis where nothing is mediocre.

Usually I get a few massages while sailing knowing it is overpriced but, hey, I’m on vacation.  I do the same at hotels.  This is the last time on O though as I feel kind of like an idiot for paying that price.

One last thing, internet is still terrible.  I had a difficult time logging on to my payroll processing company to run payroll.  Took 20 min just to logon.  Other times it is ok, 4.5mbps down, which is horrible, but can at least be functional if we are patient.

Now, off to Polo……

• Like 1