Amtrak to Cruiseport Cape Liberty

junior8

Definitely Uber or Lyft to/from pier.  Our experiences with the NJ cabs has not been good (unlike the NYC cabs which for us have been fine.)  AmTrak is our preferred way to travel as well, although we arrive the day before just to be on the safe side,

So I returned Sunday and just wanted to give a viewpoint of using Amtrak from CT to Cape Liberty.  It served the purpose I needed it for but honestly I would prefer driving myself. It was just myself.

The train cost round trip was less than $100 which for me was good. The trains, both directions, were packed full so finding a seat was difficult, nobody likes to share these days. 🙂.  Then lugging around a packed suitcase was no fun at all. It was cumbersome just to use restrooms. Then while in Penn Station, Newark I was asked multiple times to buy food for people who were obviously hungry and needed it. I did for one lady but after that I had to say I couldn't. I'm not sure what it was she ordered (McDonalds breakfast) but it was $19.22....LOL.  I didn't care but it was that multiple other people kept asking. It just made me feel very uncomfortable.

I stayed at the Doubletree which is attached to Penn Station. (Used my CC points for it) Room was nice and clean. No issues except the floor you walk in is not the checkin floor and I had to use the escalator with said suitcase.  Not a big deal, but I learned I am not very good maneuvering with a packed suitcase. 

I took Uber to and from the port. It cost $31.44. I checked with the taxi service when disembarking and they wanted $75.00.  I said thank you and ordered the Uber. It was only my second time using Uber and it was a good experience both directions.

So all and all using Amtrak is definitely doable but for me the hassle with luggage and the extra time vs just driving to the port and paying to park just isn't worth it.  Hopefully by my next cruise I will have gotten another car.

Thanks everyone for the advice

44 minutes ago, junior8 said:

So I returned Sunday and just wanted to give a viewpoint of using Amtrak from CT to Cape Liberty. It served the purpose I needed it for but honestly I would prefer driving myself. It was just myself. * * * The trains, both directions, were packed full so finding a seat was difficult, nobody likes to share these days. 🙂. * * * It was cumbersome just to use restrooms. Then while in Penn Station, Newark I was asked multiple times to buy food for people who were obviously hungry and needed it.* * * I stayed at the Doubletree which is attached to Penn Station. * * * No issues except the floor you walk in is not the checkin floor and I had to use the escalator with said suitcase. Not a big deal, but I learned I am not very good maneuvering with a packed suitcase. * * * I took Uber to and from the port. It cost $31.44. I checked with the taxi service when disembarking and they wanted $75.00. * * * So all and all using Amtrak is definitely doable but for me the hassle with luggage and the extra time vs just driving to the port and paying to park just isn't worth it.

A fair review. A few comments caught my eye. There can be some railroad passengers occupying multiple seats with their belongings, and having to ask someone to remove them can be intimidating to some people. I did not understand why it would have been cumbersome to use the washroom; they have generally been a non-issue on my railroad travels. It is disturbing on many levels the homelessness at some railroad stations. Why does it persist there but generally not at airports? The enclosed connection between Pennsylvania Station and the Doubletree hotel is a walkway elevated above the street level, so on both sides one is deposited one level above the main floor . . . absent duplication of main floor services on the level above, probably not much that can done about it. I am not sure why a taxi service (not constrained by a fare ordinance) would not offer a competitive fare . . . either there are some people willing to pay double or the taxi driver is just not interested in getting any out-of-city fares. In the end, the balancing of transporting baggage, travel time, convenience, and cost, is a personal decision, not everyone coming to the same conclusion.

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

In the end, the balancing of transporting baggage, travel time, convenience, and cost, is a personal decision, not everyone coming to the same conclusion.

It was sad to see so many who appeared to be homeless. I wonder if the amount there and not at airports is due to less security or probably more due to the locations. Train stations are usually more easily accessible than airports

Don’t get me wrong if I needed to do it again I wouldn’t hesitate 😁.  Nothing so negative occurred which would make me say heck no. 

oh has for the washroom. I had to take the luggage into the stall with me, I didn’t feel it safe to leave it outside the stall. So a large suitcase inside the small stall. Again not a major negative. I’d have to say an inconvenience. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Tomnsgirl said:

Question, we are considering taking a train from Philadelphia to Bayonne, which is closer to port Newpenn or EWR?

Technically EWR but only by a few minutes. With EWR you will need to take the AirTrain monorail to station P4 before you can get an Uber to Cape Liberty. Newark Penn you can just get a car from the station. 

18 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Technically EWR but only by a few minutes. With EWR you will need to take the AirTrain monorail to station P4 before you can get an Uber to Cape Liberty. Newark Penn you can just get a car from the station. 

Thank you

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Hotel shuttle service at EWR is from station P4. I know car service is allowed at each terminal. I would think Uber/Lyft and taxi service is from each terminal as well.

11 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Hotel shuttle service at EWR is from station P4. I know car service is allowed at each terminal. I would think Uber/Lyft and taxi service is from each terminal as well.

Yes, Uber and Lyft can pick up at the airline terminals, but the "EWR" in this discussion is the EWR rail station, and the closest place to the railroad station where Uber or Lyft can pick up is at P4. P4 is the first stop on the AirTrain. No sense taking it further to one of the airline terminals.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tomnsgirl said:

Question, we are considering taking a train from Philadelphia to Bayonne, which is closer to port Newpenn or EWR?

Even though it's a slightly longer ride to Newark Penn Station the train fare is actually about $8 lower than the fare to EWR because the EWR fare includes a surcharge for the AirTrain, so that's another advantage in addition to the convenience factor.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:58 PM, njhorseman said:

Even though it's a slightly longer ride to Newark Penn Station the train fare is actually about $8 lower than the fare to EWR because the EWR fare includes a surcharge for the AirTrain, so that's another advantage in addition to the convenience factor.

Do you think a 9:45 train time is doable day of departure?

7 minutes ago, Tomnsgirl said:

9:45am departing Philadelphia on embarkation day? Yes...the trip to Newark Penn Station is just a bit over an hour on a Northeast Regional train or a bit under an hour on Acela.

18 hours ago, Tomnsgirl said:

Doable?  Yes.  But remember, ANY sort of crap can happen. On trespasser, one downed branch on the catenary and you're screwed.  

I live in Central NJ and drive or take the train up the day before.  

Can you make it? Yes.  Might you get stuck.  Also yes.  And you never know when the damn portal bridge will get stuck or when a train will break down and shut the entire NEC down for a few hours, at least between PHL and New York/Newark.

Not trying to argue, just letting you know to be aware that crazy can-and does-happen.

😄

39 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Doable?  Yes.  But remember, ANY sort of crap can happen. On trespasser, one downed branch on the catenary and you're screwed.

I agree to a point on this one-- I live in Philadelphia and have zero issue going up the day of for a cruise from New York. In the rare instance there is an issue with the train you could always just Uber the rest of the way. Obviously cost would be much higher but better than missing the ship. 

10 hours ago, megr1125 said:

I live in Central NJ and drive or take the train up the day before.  

Can you make it? Yes.  Might you get stuck.  Also yes.  And you never know when the damn portal bridge will get stuck or when a train will break down and shut the entire NEC down for a few hours, at least between PHL and New York/Newark.

Not trying to argue, just letting you know to be aware that crazy can-and does-happen.

😄

11 hours ago, Tomnsgirl said:

Ugh, I might go up a day earlier.  Now decision on hotel

I don’t think that’s necessary, if you want to research a plan b to make you feel better, check out Uber to public transportation options, like a bus. I live 10 miles from Manhattan and there are different ways I can get there, several buses, several train stations, park and rides, ferries…

On 6/19/2023 at 8:42 AM, mjkacmom said:

I don’t think that’s necessary, if you want to research a plan b to make you feel better, check out Uber to public transportation options, like a bus. I live 10 miles from Manhattan and there are different ways I can get there, several buses, several train stations, park and rides, ferries…

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Tomnsgirl said:

Don't want to miss the Boat

You won’t. You have a ton of alternatives in the rare instance something catastrophic happened on the Northeast Corridor. No need to go the night before unless you want to go the night before.   

57 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

You won’t. You have a ton of alternatives in the rare instance something catastrophic happened on the Northeast Corridor. No need to go the night before unless you want to go the night before.   

That's true.