Dining room change from reservation?

Sherbertscamper

You are not "locked in" with dinner reservations.  If possible...you might call the dine line on board and tell them of your plan to switch...but nobody is going to lose any sleep over this (at least on the Princess side!) nor is anyone going to come looking for you and haul you back to your original location!

1 hour ago, Sherbertscamper said:

We are planning to have dinner reservations in one of the main dining rooms before we leave. Is it possible to eat in a different dining room just to check it out?

Do we just show up like we would do without any previous reservation?

Thanks!

Remember, the Dine Your Way system relies heavily on Medallion and the Medallion app on your phone or mobile device.  Dining reservations are easily accomplished through the app, no need to "pre-program" dining for your entire cruise weeks before you are even on board.

I'm beginning to think their medallion reservation system means next to nothing. They check you in whether you have reservations or not, so what's the purpose?

It's also doubtful if most people cancel standing reservations, once made at the beginning of their cruise. 

11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You are not "locked in" with dinner reservations.  If possible...you might call the dine line on board and tell them of your plan to switch...but nobody is going to lose any sleep over this (at least on the Princess side!) nor is anyone going to come looking for you and haul you back to your original location!

However when you show up and they scan your medallion they will tell you that your reservation is for a different dining room and send you there. Seen it happen to folks in line.

if they want to try a different dining room they need to cancel the existing reservation for that night. Then either make one for the other dining room or go as a walk in.

3 minutes ago, ldtr said:

However when you show up and they scan your medallion they will tell you that your reservation is for a different dining room and send you there. Seen it happen to folks in line.

if they want to try a different dining room they need to cancel the existing reservation for that night. Then either make one for the other dining room or go as a walk in.

We’ve seen that happen to a lot

of folks too waiting in line.

They only hold your table 10-15 mins if you have a reservation.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I'm beginning to think their medallion reservation system means next to nothing. They check you in whether you have reservations or not, so what's the purpose?

It's also doubtful if most people cancel standing reservations, once made at the beginning of their cruise. 

While I'm not sure either if the reservation system is always followed, we did see several people getting told that their reservations were for a different dining room and that they should go there. This was on the Ruby last April.

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

While I'm not sure either if the reservation system is always followed, we did see several people getting told that their reservations were for a different dining room and that they should go there. This was on the Ruby last April.

We were on the Emerald in October and the Ruby in December and had standing dinner reservations each night.  Some nights we were asked to join other couples in a different dining room and time - and never had anyone tell us our reservations were elsewhere.  If we had time I cancelled the standing reservation, but it wasn't always possible.  I guess YMMV.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

This has been exactly my experience.

3 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

This has been exactly my experience.

We've never been directed to another dining room/time but have never been turned away due to a different reservation.  Maybe we've just been lucky...or, as I suspect...they just aren't going to say anything to "cause a scene".

This past week, we had a 7:00 p.m. dinner reservation for the night that they held the Voice of the Ocean show.  There was only one show, and it was held at 7:30 - 8:30.  My wife did not want to miss the show, so at 6:00 p.m., I went to the dining room to request a change from 7:00 to 8:45.  No problem, but I was warned to be there by 8:55 because that the dining room closed promptly at 9:00.  

We were seated promptly and were served quickly.