MDR versus HC - My Preference

SargassoPirate

On board my current cruise for fifteen days so far and for fifteen days I have avoided the MDR. I have been enjoying the Elite lounge spread for a light meal in the evening - all I really need  - and for breakfast and lunches it's been the Horizon Court.  Here's why:

For breakfast and lunch I can get a variety and the food is either piping hot or chilled - depending on what it is.  I can see what I'm getting so there be are no surprises based on vague menu descriptions.  The staff are more attentive and constantly circulating to take care of my every need.  The supervisors are vigilant and I see the chefs at every meal. I choose a seating convenient to me and I'm in and out in 30 minutes.

A few days ago, one of the chefs had a small griddle set up and was serving beef medallions.  I asked for one and it was a tender, juicy, and flavorful as anything I've ever had in one of the specialty venues.  No stringy or tough cuts of beef after waiting for an overworked server to bring it out.

All I can say is that it works for me.

• Like 5

I am glad it works for you. Cruise"s offer a wide variety of choices. We like the MDR as long as we can dine with other cruisers. The food is good but the company of others is great. We have been on over 3o cruises never had bad stablemates. To each his own.

• Like 1

We like a table for two in the MDR.  We enjoy being served and sitting at a nicely dressed table with clean linens.  A nice glass of wine, or three, and we’re happy. The food itself is secondary.  Just feels elevated compared to the buffet (of course the buffet may be offering somewhat better food).  We never go to buffets at home, just not our thing.  That’s the great thing about cruising, something for everyone!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

On board my current cruise for fifteen days so far and for fifteen days I have avoided the MDR. I have been enjoying the Elite lounge spread for a light meal in the evening - all I really need  - and for breakfast and lunches it's been the Horizon Court.  Here's why:

For breakfast and lunch I can get a variety and the food is either piping hot or chilled - depending on what it is.  I can see what I'm getting so there be are no surprises based on vague menu descriptions.  The staff are more attentive and constantly circulating to take care of my every need.  The supervisors are vigilant and I see the chefs at every meal. I choose a seating convenient to me and I'm in and out in 30 minutes.

A few days ago, one of the chefs had a small griddle set up and was serving beef medallions.  I asked for one and it was a tender, juicy, and flavorful as anything I've ever had in one of the specialty venues.  No stringy or tough cuts of beef after waiting for an overworked server to bring it out.

All I can say is that it works for me.

I agree with you...I have no qualms about going to the buffet.  DW leans more toward the MDR...(Hmmm...where do you think we usually end up?)  

• Like 2

On a Royal class ship, we prefer the buffet.  So many choices.   I am celiac and must avoid gluten. Surprisingly, I do a lot better (choice wise) in the buffet, after a quick consultation with on of the chief.

Nice!!!!  But only if you are Elite! 

Of course, we are not, but we enjoyed all of our dining in the MDR and the Buffet (lunch/snacks) during our cruise.   Unfortunately, you are right about the bad cut of beef served by overwhelmed waiters in an overbooked Crown Grill.  Steaks are a big 'miss'  on Princess much of the time.

On our last cruise we actually avoided the buffet and never ate there, in fact never even walked through there, we are not big breakfast or lunch eaters so the international cafe worked perfect for us, as well as the odd French fry order from the app 😉. And then MDR or specialty each evening. 

The beauty of cruising, everyone can do what works for them. 

• Like 1

You do you. Personally, we aren't Elite, and considering our last cruise, doubt that we ever will be. I don't eat breakfast, other than choking down a croissant or 2 with my cappuccino on port day mornings. So IC is sufficient. I dislike the buffet crowds at lunch, and wandering around searching for a table while my food gets cold. I'd rather eat in the MDR where I already have a table and don't have to search for something  I may want to eat. And we prefer dinner in either the MDR or specialty restaurant where we can have a relaxed multi course meal with wines in an atmosphere we enjoy. The only exception is if we return late from an excursion and are too tired to do more than grab a quick bite and retire for the night.

23 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

and these are the same reasons I do the same on whatever ship I am on.

I hate the descriptions of the MDR menu at times and I hate the small portions too.

I always have found the managers in buffet areas more attentive because in the MDR they appear to intimidate the crew at times and also more concerned with ratings.

We will usually start a cruise in the MDR, then later on move the other venues including HC.  Depends upon the ship, the service times in the MDR, the MDR ambience, etc.  The Princess MDR menu is fine for a few weeks a year, but can get rather boring based upon the number and frequency of cruises.