Brooklyn Cruise Terminal will soon house NYC asylum seekers as numbers swell: Mayor Adams By Larry McShane

BklynBoy8

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I note the article states "The Brooklyn relief center will operate until the start of cruise season this spring." For QM2, the start of the season is April 30th at the end of her world cruise.

Granted John, we are one of the star top cities getting multiples of buses each week.

8000 people last week alone. And thoughts of out of service cruise ships to be utilized.

We have too see with two other cruise ports in the harbor what the city will do if pushed to shove with more busses arriving.

In NYC papers we have to see what action if this escalates.

Granted I would like to depart on my sailing in June from Brooklyn on the QM2. 

Interesting, and kind of hard to imagine how this would be accomplished.  Please keep us posted.

I also find it interesting that Brooklyn is a seasonal port.  I guess I always assumed it had sailings year-round, like Baltimore (which sometimes has snow and ice on pool deck during departure).

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Interesting, and kind of hard to imagine how this would be accomplished.  Please keep us posted.

I also find it interesting that Brooklyn is a seasonal port.  I guess I always assumed it had sailings year-round, like Baltimore (which sometimes has snow and ice on pool deck during departure).

Yes, Brooklyn is a little-used port. Essentially just QM 2 when she is not on her world itinerary and Caribbean Princess for her late summer/early fall NY season.

48 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I believe MSC will have a ship there in the not-too-distant future?

I'm seeing MSC Meraviglia scheduled to be in New York starting April 20 and reports are she will be operating out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:30 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Right - I just checked - she will be sailing year round - primarily 7 day low cost itineraries - a real breakthrough for that facility.

And MSC doesn't start until April so the port building is not being used. With it too cold for a tent city on Randall's Island and buses continuing to arrive from southern states the Brooklyn port building will be used for housing. 

On 1/25/2023 at 9:24 AM, Brighton Line said:

And MSC doesn't start until April so the port building is not being used. With it too cold for a tent city on Randall's Island and buses continuing to arrive from southern states the Brooklyn port building will be used for housing. 

But why not establish the shelter in a facility which will be available for more than 2 1/2 months -- unless you really believe the migrant issue will go away that quickly.

On 1/26/2023 at 8:57 PM, navybankerteacher said:

But why not establish the shelter in a facility which will be available for more than 2 1/2 months -- unless you really believe the migrant issue will go away that quickly.

Agree …. Plans such as handling the influx change quickly. This migrant facility needs to be better placed. Of course, if enforcement at the border is improved, that can solve this issue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1