Bergen any thrift or 2nd hand clothing stores?

We are doing a cruise upto the North Cape from Southampton in  June.

We have limited luggage space, and so are wondering if there is an Op shop or cheaper retail place that we can buy a very warm Arctic jacket (and maybe other things).?? Intending to leave it behind/donate when finished.

Failing that we will investigate Southampton stores.

There are thrift stores in Bergen, but they are not necessarily centrally located.  Personally, I would prioritize the sights in Bergen over looking for used clothes. 
That's how cold it is in the North Cape in June - average temperature of 11°C (52˚F) and low temperature of 3°C (37˚F). Hoewer,  It will be cold at outer decks when you want to enjoy the midnight sun at 1 am at Loppehavet.
Layers are the answer - a fleece shirt and a wind/waterproof jacket - possibly two pairs of trousers (waterproof coveralls) - a hat and mittens.
It can also be rainy in the ports of call - there are often rain on Norway's west coast.

Picture of my wife when sailing Loppehavet at 1am

AEF9DF00-BE15-480B-B325-E5725040B6A9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only reason I’d suggest checking out secondhand shops is if you’re in the market for an affordable Norwegian sweater. You can find a decent selection of donated hand-knit sweaters and sometimes pieces from the famous bends like Dale at a much more affordable price.

For actual travel clothes, I would bring very few things on a trip to North Cape that I wouldn’t also use on a trip to a warmer location: An unlined rain jacket, layered over the kind of fleece or sweatshirt I would wear on a long flight. For a base layer, a long-sleeves shirt and a pair of leggings. Workout leggings would probably be fine, but if you’re extremely prone to cold, consider a wool or flannel base. Just be sure that your layers aren’t too tight against one another, because the heat collects between them.

The wind/rain protection is the most critical, so I’d also suggest rain pants if you’re going to be outside (especially on deck) a lot. Blocking the wind on your legs makes a huge difference.

For neck protection, you can use just about any scarf. When I travel light, I dual-purpose the pashmina wrap that I wear to dinner and just re-use it as a scarf during the day. A pair of light gloves shouldn’t take up too much space in your luggage and will keep your hands from getting cold if you’re taking a lot of photos. And if you don’t own a hat, you can probably find more/cheaper options in the tourist shops on the Bryggen than you would at a secondhand shop in the summer.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

the nice thing about puffer / down vests and jackets is that they can be compressed down into a compression sack ,or sometimes their own storage pocket, making them packable.  Just shake out and hang at your destination.  I am a huge Eddie Bauer fan and am lucky to have outlet store nearby.  It is my hometown fav.

I want a sweater and that is my aim for Bergen, my last day.  I did not think about a used clothing store.  I have found Husfliden Bergen AS and Susan Fosse (in Bryggen) as stores I wish to check out.  Husfliden specializes in Suppliers of quality Norway goods of many type products.  I am aware of Dale, but dont feel the worth of a coach trip to the factory.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

the nice thing about puffer / down vests and jackets is that they can be compressed down into a compression sack ,or sometimes their own storage pocket, making them packable.  Just shake out and hang at your destination.  I am a huge Eddie Bauer fan and am lucky to have outlet store nearby.  It is my hometown fav.

I want a sweater and that is my aim for Bergen, my last day.  I did not think about a used clothing store.  I have found Husfliden Bergen AS and Susan Fosse (in Bryggen) as stores I wish to check out.  Husfliden specializes in Suppliers of quality Norway goods of many type products.  I am aware of Dale, but dont feel the worth of a coach trip to the factory.

You should be able to find Dale sweaters at good shops in Bergen.