Booking direct with RCI - website or call them?

We are thinking of booking our next cruise directly with RCI, our first time sailing with them. Is it better to book via their website or should we call them?

We are in Canada, if that makes a difference.

Thank you!

I would recommend using a RCI-knowledgeable TA. Many benefits without giving up much control at all. I think there may be additional benefits for International travelers to use a USA based one, as well, but I've only seen some comments about it - no firsthand experience.

7 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I would recommend using a RCI-knowledgeable TA. Many benefits without giving up much control at all. I think there may be additional benefits for International travelers to use a USA based one, as well, but I've only seen some comments about it - no firsthand experience.

I did think about using a TA, but I wouldn't even know where to find one with RCI knowledge if I am honest. We live in a small town in Canada, and I have not really seen any TAs, never mind any that specialize in cruises.

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

For anything simple, you can do it online.

Thank you. I believe it would be a straight forward booking; 2 adults; possible included flights, but might not depending on price.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, storkington said:

I did think about using a TA, but I wouldn't even know where to find one with RCI knowledge if I am honest. We live in a small town in Canada, and I have not really seen any TAs, never mind any that specialize in cruises.

Most operate online and via email now, but you want to make sure you get one that is a real person who can advocate for you, not just a site with a sale. Are you on the "other" blog/forum/message boards? The Royal Caribbean blog one? You can get recommendations over there!

8 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

Most operate online and via email now, but you want to make sure you get one that is a real person who can advocate for you, not just a site with a sale. Are you on the "other" blog/forum/message boards? The Royal Caribbean blog one? You can get recommendations over there!

Thanks, haven't looked, but will now!

1 hour ago, storkington said:

We are thinking of booking our next cruise directly with RCI, our first time sailing with them. Is it better to book via their website or should we call them?

Thank you!

My preference is to call them as I get frustrated with the online process as the website does not show all of the cabins available on each deck.  Before the upgrade, you were able to enter a cabin # to see if it was available.  Speaking with alive person I'm able to ask any availability and any other concerns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, storkington said:

Thank you!

I check the website and do a mock booking first . This gives you the cost .

Then i call RC and book with an agent . 

You can ask them if any other cabins are available that are in a better location.

Have your credit card ready for the deposit. 

They will tell you when final payment is due.

Then they will send you an email with the details .

I did this last week  for a fall cruise. 

• Like 1

Booking online is inversely proportional to the age demographics of this forum. 

If you're comfortable, go for it. It allows you to book in CDN funds and Royal's exchange rate is 1.35% which is better than the banks or your credit card.

• Like 1

Online for us always if booking direct, its straight forward and hassle free. 

Great cruises and I wouldn't sail with anyone else but every time I have picked the phone up to actually talk to someone it has ended in hassle and frustration for quite simple questions and issues.

• Like 1

Have had quotes much higher over the phone than the online prices. However if it’s a standard room and no special offers then a travel agent got us the best price. 

The last booking RCL had an offer the TA couldn’t find so we booked online and saved a fair bit. 

• Like 1

My mock booking was exactly the same as the agent quoted me.

The agent ( Becky ) was phenomenal . Gave her a 10/10 on the follow up survey.

She told me to book my MTD reservations now as that was open .

And to check closer to sale date for the entertainment bookings.

I have always had very good RC agents whenever i book .

• Like 1

I book online and never an issue, but you will only get an email now saying they got deposit. If you want a confirmation email, with all the pertinent info, you will need to call.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1