Utterly stumped about what to do in Ketchikan. Help?

Sigyn

1 hour ago, CaribbeanIsland said:

I was told the same thing. There is only about 20-25 minutes on that excursion where the scenery is stunning and different than what you see from the ship.

Bring a book to read for the 1.5-hour travel time to get to/from the fjords.  You are too far from the "wilderness" to see anything from the boat as you pass through it.

I finally took the plunge and booked the island wings misty fjords flight tour. I decided for my 50th it was more special to do that rather than bering fisherman’s tour. Its tough as there are a lot of good excursions in ketchikan. The silver king lodge tour also sounds good.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I finally took the plunge and booked the island wings misty fjords flight tour. I decided for my 50th it was more special to do that rather than bering fisherman’s tour. Its tough as there are a lot of good excursions in ketchikan. The silver king lodge tour also sounds good.

Great choice.

I have done Misty Fiords via boat and it is over-priced and just ok. You spend a lot of time getting to the monument and then are only there for a short time. Not a tour I would recommend or do again. Plane is much better.

The first time we were in Alaska, we just got off the ship and walked around in Ketchikan, visiting the various shops. The second time, we got off the ship and went in the visitor's center (I think that's what it was called.), and booked the Duck Boat tour. It was pretty cool. If I recall correctly, it was about $10 per person cheaper at the visitor's center than booked through the ship, but that was in 2015, so mileage may vary. We'll be in Ketchikan again this June and have a Hummer tour planned.

The Deadliest Catch tour looks interesting enough, but Dad is loathe to get off the ship and get on a boat. We did manage to talk him into going whale watching in Juneau, so not pressing our luck on another boat tour.

• Like 2

This summer there will be a great exhibit at the Tongass Historical Museum called Cruising the Fossil Coastline with art by Ray Troll.  I highly recommend making time to see it!  The exhibit has already toured a number of museums.

image.thumb.jpeg.3de93eb2ce87b42a4c5b00d2820c5d81.jpeg

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 1:45 PM, Ashland said:

Ketchikan...This is an easy one to recommend.

The Bearing Sea Fisherman's Tour...One of the best excursions there. Check pricing by your cruiseline vs booking directly on their website. We just did this excursion (again) this past September !!!

WOW...so sorry you have such a negative view of this amazing tour !!!

We agree - we loved this tour - and have done it twice.  The stadium seating made it accessible and there are no bad seats.  The people that run the tour make it as great as it is.  They are real crab fishermen (they change up, but I saw a couple of people I had seen on the show), and bring that authenticity to the experience.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kickboxrca said:

We agree - we loved this tour - and have done it twice.  The stadium seating made it accessible and there are no bad seats.  The people that run the tour make it as great as it is.  They are real crab fishermen (they change up, but I saw a couple of people I had seen on the show), and bring that authenticity to the experience.

Totally agree - Deadliest Catch excursion is great...

Lumberjack show is very entertaining.

I cancelled the Misty Fjords boat tour after everyone's advice here. I didn't book anything for Ketchikan. I think we'll just walk around and visit a pub or two and see the sights in the town. 

24 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I cancelled the Misty Fjords boat tour after everyone's advice here. I didn't book anything for Ketchikan. I think we'll just walk around and visit a pub or two and see the sights in the town. 

The totem museum and the other one (forget the name) are a nice stop in for 30 min or so, you can buy a combo ticket for less than $10....

It was convenient on the walking tour map we got at the visitor's center.  There were also coupons for free/cheap things at the Tongass stores in it 🙂

• Like 1

Believe it or not, we booked a snorkel tour!  Yes, snorkeling in 55 degree water in Ketchikan Alaska!!!! We are from the Bahamas... what am I thinking?  We go in September on the Solstice....  We own a tour company in the Bahamas that takes people out snorkeling in our tropical waters, snorkeling on cruises never excites me because we do it all the time.  But, after lots of research and things that did not seem to get great reviews or just seemed run of the mill, we found Snorkel Alaska.  They go from shore and there are critters there we don't have in the Bahamas.  You do get a 7mil wetsuit with gloves, booties, a hood... and the reviews and videos I am seeing look great and the people who have done it say you can't wait to get in the water bcs you're sweating in the wetsuit.  So... yep, going to take the plunge.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Kristelsea said:

Believe it or not, we booked a snorkel tour!  Yes, snorkeling in 55 degree water in Ketchikan Alaska!!!! We are from the Bahamas... what am I thinking?  We go in September on the Solstice....  We own a tour company in the Bahamas that takes people out snorkeling in our tropical waters, snorkeling on cruises never excites me because we do it all the time.  But, after lots of research and things that did not seem to get great reviews or just seemed run of the mill, we found Snorkel Alaska.  They go from shore and there are critters there we don't have in the Bahamas.  You do get a 7mil wetsuit with gloves, booties, a hood... and the reviews and videos I am seeing look great and the people who have done it say you can't wait to get in the water bcs you're sweating in the wetsuit.  So... yep, going to take the plunge.

I wanna do that SOOOOOO BADLY, enjoy!

What do people think of the crab feast? I decided to cancel misty fjords as i was nervous about little plane and i didn't want that hanging over my head. I do still have bering fisherman's tour booked. The alternate would be to go to the crab feast and the tongass museum. Not sure. So much to do in Katchikan.

58 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

What do people think of the crab feast? I decided to cancel misty fjords as i was nervous about little plane and i didn't want that hanging over my head. I do still have bering fisherman's tour booked. The alternate would be to go to the crab feast and the tongass museum. Not sure. So much to do in Katchikan.

FWIW the crab best is not limited to  two (2) crab portions. If that is enough for you, go for it.  As for me, I normally eat six/seven crab portions when on the crab feast excursion so I will not pay for this excursion.  Of course, not eating more than two portions of crab will leave you room for a slice of cheesecake that most diners just skip.

Below is a photograph of my crab feast plate with three crab portions.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-feast/IMG_0515.jpg 

16 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Sorry were you saying you are limited to 2 portions? I just called catch crabs and they said all the cruise lines are all you can eat this season (within a time limit). There must have been backlash.

That is good news if it proves true.  There was indeed a backlash from CC members last year when the George Inlet Lodge cutback.  Hopefully, somebody on one of the early Alaska cruises will confirm.

Edited by Crew News

6 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Does the free downtown shuttle go to the totem park? I’m not finding the website very good.

It goes to the Totem Heritage Center, which is a museum for old Totems.  It does not go to Totem Bight, which is about 10 miles north of town or Saxman Totem Park, which is a few miles south of town.

On a May trip a few years back, my family rented a jeep and we went driving into Canada (it's not far from the border) and saw many black bears on very near the road, many of them strolling and feeding with their cubs. Took great pictures & videos. It was a fantastic DYI excursion. 

Oops.Just went back to doublecheck and that DYI wasn't in Ketchikan. Now have to dig deeper in my emails because I was planning to do the same thing in an upcoming Alaska cruise. 🙄

Edited by Islander500