Utterly stumped about what to do in Ketchikan. Help?

Sigyn

13 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

On a May trip a few years back, my family rented a jeep and we went driving into Canada (it's not far from the border) and saw many black bears on very near the road, many of them strolling and feeding with their cubs. Took great pictures & videos. It was a fantastic DYI excursion. 

Oops.Just went back to doublecheck and that DYI wasn't in Ketchikan. Now have to dig deeper in my emails because I was planning to do the same thing in an upcoming Alaska cruise. 🙄

That could have been Skagway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Islander500 said:

On a May trip a few years back, my family rented a jeep and we went driving into Canada (it's not far from the border) and saw many black bears on very near the road, many of them strolling and feeding with their cubs. Took great pictures & videos. It was a fantastic DYI excursion. 

Oops.Just went back to doublecheck and that DYI wasn't in Ketchikan. Now have to dig deeper in my emails because I was planning to do the same thing in an upcoming Alaska cruise. 🙄

Sounds like Skagway.  I've done the Jeep trip there before.

Hi guys, I seem to have the same thoughts like everyone else here, have been to Alaska several times, an the more I go, just don't seem to get enough of the place, so have been thinkin bout not takin any tours in Ketchikan, but just wander around the town, lookin & explorin, of course have lunch someplace & takin a whole lot of pictures. Another thing, have bought t shirts & sweatshirts in Juneau, Skagway, & Sitka, but never bought in Ketchikan. Am I the only one who can't decide here? Will be on the Crown in Sept.

13 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi guys, I seem to have the same thoughts like everyone else here, have been to Alaska several times, an the more I go, just don't seem to get enough of the place, so have been thinkin bout not takin any tours in Ketchikan, but just wander around the town, lookin & explorin, of course have lunch someplace & takin a whole lot of pictures. Another thing, have bought t shirts & sweatshirts in Juneau, Skagway, & Sitka, but never bought in Ketchikan. Am I the only one who can't decide here? Will be on the Crown in Sept.

Soho Coho for real Alaska tee shirts.  Annabelle's or Burger Queen for lunch. Walk the Married Man's Trail.  Check out the Alaska fossil exhibit at the history museum. Have a beer at the Arctic Bar.  Walk along the dock and look for big jellyfish.  Go to the creek and look for spawning salmon.  Ride around on the free shuttle.  Go to the local grocery store.  Visit the Discovery Center and watch the movie.  Walk around the harbor and check out the boats.  

• Like 1

Back in the day, Creek Street was a bustling "retail" district inhabited by ladies of negotiable affection.  The street was located convenient to the harbor, a short walk for lonely fishermen.  However, married men, who lived in the houses surrounding Creek Street, needed a more discreet route to reach their destination (and to make their escape in case of a raid).  

The trail starts behind Creek Street and is an easy 20 minute walk.  There's a boardwalk and staircases that you can use to get to Cape Fox Lodge, as well as the cutoff for the Married Man's trail which eventually takes you to the salmon ladder.  Lots of salmonberry bushes and shady trees along the way.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b4118218e7a78e0ee6e5cd5cda5ebe8.jpeg

Edited by wolfie11
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Wolfie! For people who have done both excursions does anyone have a recommendation to do the george inlet crab feast vs. Bering crab fisherman’s tour. The advantage of the crab feast is i’d be able to do the tongass museum exhibit. Because i got a good deal on fisherman’s tour, cost is not an issue.

Just to add i should have time to go to creek street and married man’s trail with both excursions.

Edited by latebuyer

Dungeness crab is my favorite, so I'm partial to the crab feast.  But basically you just go to a dining room and they give a little talk and you eat crab as fast as you can crack and pick it and you leave.

The fisherman's tour is a life experience.  Seeing the wildlife and the very cool sea life they bring up, the eagles flying around the boat, and especially hearing the stories and experiences of the people who were actually out there.  If it were between the two, I'd go with the fisherman's tour.  

One caveat is that I haven't done either of these post Covid, so I don't know if things have changed.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thank you. For some reason i am having trouble getting excited about fisherman’s tour. Yet being a slow eater i’m not sure about crab feast either. I’ll think about it.

Another option is an excursion to Silver King Lodge.  It is a closed boat trip that feeds eagles, pauses for sea lions, short stroll through moss-covered forest, photographing Sitka deer near the lodge, and a seafood boil feast (crab, clams, shrimp, corn, pearl onions, cod, non-alcoholic beverages, garlic bread, and homemade chocolate chip cookies) with no time limit.

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

Another option is an excursion to Silver King Lodge.  It is a closed boat trip that feeds eagles, pauses for sea lions, short stroll through moss-covered forest, photographing Sitka deer near the lodge, and a seafood boil feast (crab, clams, shrimp, corn, pearl onions, cod, non-alcoholic beverages, garlic bread, and homemade chocolate chip cookies) with no time limit.

Hey Crew News, where is the Silver king lodge located? Am interested in finding a boat trip that feeds eagles & etc?

3 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Crew News, where is the Silver king lodge located? Am interested in finding a boat trip that feeds eagles & etc?

The excursion is sometimes called "Alaska Seafood Feast" and departs from the pier in Ketchikan. When the George Inlet halted their "all-you-can-eat" last year, I switched to  the Silver King Lodge excursion I had enjoyed a few years ago.  The excursion fed 11 eagles for about 20 minutes, went a bit further to photograph some sea lions on the rocks, saw some Sitka deer near the lodge that seemed to be posing for pictures, and then a 15 minute boardwalk stroll through a moss covered forest before lunch.  Six people at each round newspaper-covered picnic table attacked the huge mound of steaming food poured onto the table.

It is located north of Ketchikan about 25 minutes.  The enclosed boat (sliding windows) hods about 100.  When I went last year, there was 15 of us.  It is not open during King Salmon season as it is filled with fishermen.

Since the boat passes by the US Navy Submarine Sonar Test Facility, there is very remote chance of seeing a submarine.

I just realized that I have not posted the new photos (with new boat) from last year but here is a link from a few years ago:  Alaska Silver King Lodge & Seafood Excursion (Ketchikan)

On 4/8/2023 at 3:24 PM, latebuyer said:

Thank you. For some reason i am having trouble getting excited about fisherman’s tour. Yet being a slow eater i’m not sure about crab feast either. I’ll think about it.

I feel the same. I've watched a bunch of videos people have taken on the fisherman's tour and it just seems...commercial. I can see why some people like it, but it doesn't appeal to me. Sitting on bleachers on a boat and hearing the guys talk about their fishing experiences and making jokes. It's not quite the thing for me. If it was $50, maybe. But it's pretty expensive as for what I would get out of it. I could be totally wrong since so many people love it. I'm just not connecting with the appeal of it, obviously.

And as for the crab feast. I'm not a big eater, and I'm not a fast eater, so I don't see a lot of appeal in that one either. 

Edited by njsmom

On 2/18/2023 at 1:10 AM, spocruiser said:

Highly recommend The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour as well.  Wife and I did it four years ago, probably our favorite excursion on our Alaska cruise in any of the ports.  Thinking of doing it again on our Alaska cruise this coming July.

Another enthusiastic recommendation for the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour.  While the tour boat was previously on Deadliest Catch, the tour is not nearly as fishing/crab pot focused as you may be imagining.

Instead, the tour is very focused on storytelling and understanding of Alaska (the tour team clearly love Alaska), learning about the animals and fish that call the area home and also respect of the native people who were there first.  We did some amazing tours during our visit last August and this one was easily our favorite.  The tour takes you through a protected area where we saw a lot of eagles from the boat and they also have tanks full of all kinds of local sea life. It’s not all or even mostly crab centered.

I definitely think watching some videos would be helpful in making an informed decision. Good luck and hope you love your cruise!

You can email the Bering Sea tour, but I believe (though its been 13 years) that they told us they rent the water rights from a Native Alaskan tribe, which negotiated water rights in their treaty with the federal government many years ago.  So they are allowed to put crab traps in the Native Alaskan waters even out of crabbing season.  The show may have changed a lot in 13 years, but back then they didn't pull up a huge number of crabs, just a few to show you the different varieties and sizes of the crabs so even if the waters are currently being rested, they won't be pulling up too many crabs and hurting the overall numbers of crabs significantly.

I was also pregnant with my oldest on this tour, and absolutely did not feel seasick.  It doesn't sail over the ocean water, so you won't have a problem.    I was also totally fine on the helicopter to dogsled experience.  Ironically, the White Pass Railroad was the only excursion I got sick on - they use a diesel engine and I sat in the first car.  The fumes were overwhelming, and that was the only time I got sick in Alaska (well I also didn't feel great on the 6 hour schoolbus ride in Denali, but that was to be expected.)  Stay off the first and last car on the White Pass Railway (they switch the engine at the midpoint of the journey and the train goes backwards to get back) and you will be fine.  

Edited by kitkat343

On 1/28/2023 at 7:20 AM, njsmom said:

We have booked excursions in all of the ports for our July cruise, except Ketchikan. It's been the toughest one. We are doing a float plane over five glaciers and a salmon cookout at Taku Lodge in Juneau. We are doing a helicopter to a glacier and sled dogs in Skagway. We are doing a whale watching and bear sighting cruise in Icy Strait Point. We are doing the small boat cruise to see Hubbard Glacier up close, ahead of our ship. 

But in Ketchikan, I'm stumped. My husband doesn't want to do anything too athletic there, like a canoe trip across a lake and a 5-mile hike. He said, "we're not those people" (although apparently I still think we are, in my heart, since I keep trying to book stuff like that.) He's willing to do a 2-3 mile hike through the rainforest, but if it's raining, that would be kinda meh and I know it rains 300 days a year in Ketchikan. He said he'd be happy doing a pub crawl and eating in Ketchikan, but I read that people aren't happy any longer with the crab "feast" at George Inlet. Then I read that Misty Fjords is a must see. But we're already doing one float plane and one helicopter ride. That's expensive. And really, don't want to jump on a flying machine at every port. 

The lumberjack show holds zero appeal. As does the boat with the crab catch from the deadliest catch. Looking at the stadium seating on the boat and how it's kind of a show seems unappealing to me, particularly since Alaska has shut down crab fishing again this year. Would feel like we're doing something we're not supposed to and I wonder what they even do with the ban in place: https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/alaska-shuts-down-crab-seasons-after-dismal-survey-results I mean, the show will go on, with other crab caught, but it does dilute the whole experience https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/deadliest-catch-returns-in-2023-despite-closing-of-fisheries

I would like to see something more real, that feels like Alaska. But have zero idea what that would be in Ketchikan. It's our first port on our trip so that matters, too.

Anyway...thoughts? Experiences you really enjoyed that you'd like to share with me? 

I would recommend a fishing charter.  You do not have to have ANY fishing experience.  Or, you could have lots of experience.  That's the beauty of a charter.  They will assist as little or as much as you want/need.  

Book a short one.  Perhaps 3 hours. 

And if you want to shorten the excursion while you are out on the water - they will do whatever you want. (they won't refund any of your $$ though). 

I have booked private fishing charters many times in Alaska.  It is a beautiful Alaska experience.  And if you catch fish and want to ship it home, the charter company will take your fish to get processed and shipped.  It's expensive (shipping fish home) but the fish makes great Alaska souvenirs! - way better than a t-shirt or a mug. 😌

Just some thoughts to consider. 

On 1/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, Ashland said:

Ketchikan...This is an easy one to recommend.

The Bearing Sea Fisherman's Tour...One of the best excursions there. Check pricing by your cruiseline vs booking directly on their website. We just did this excursion (again) this past September !!!

WOW...so sorry you have such a negative view of this amazing tour !!!

Personally, I found it too "preachy"

I did a "Photo Safari" in Ketchikan. Guide took us around to several sites in town (including the "married man trail" and the business it served). Then we went to some scenic sites around the area, went to see the totem poles and several native sites, and even went down to the harbor for some pictures of fishing boats.

The Guide was good at helping everyone, giving a lot of tips on photography like framing and exposure and the like. Nice way to get out and see some of the nature in the area without having a strenuous hike.

3 hours ago, PhotoDennis said:

I did a "Photo Safari" in Ketchikan. Guide took us around to several sites in town (including the "married man trail" and the business it served). Then we went to some scenic sites around the area, went to see the totem poles and several native sites, and even went down to the harbor for some pictures of fishing boats.

The Guide was good at helping everyone, giving a lot of tips on photography like framing and exposure and the like. Nice way to get out and see some of the nature in the area without having a strenuous hike.

Was that through your cruiseline or independent? 

14 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Was that through your cruiseline or independent? 

Through the cruise line, but I can give you the guy's direct contact info. He was really good.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g31030-d17808792-Photo_Safari_in_Ketchikan_Alaska_Spend_3_hrs_off_the_tourist_beaten_path-Ketchikan_.html

Jeff was our guide. I've been on this tour and really recommend it.

Edited by PhotoDennis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at a Photo Safari for Ketchikan.  I was kind of hoping I could go off on a boat whale watching or fishing.  But, thanks to Long COVID, I'm having another but with dizziness/vertigo so that is off the table.  Just hoping that the ship doesn't cause too many problems, too.  Anyway, I'm not a group excursion kind of person so looking for something different.  This caught my eye.  I've done photo hikes before in Arizona and Colorado so this sounded good for me.