Carnival Newbie--Couple of Questions

Italy52

We have never sailed on Carnival but we have sailed extensively on other lines. Yesterday, I found a nice itinerary to Alaska that we want to try so I went ahead and booked the cruise on Carnival.  I have a couple of questions for you kind folks:  Since we are new to Carnival, I assume that we won't have the best boarding times -- correct?  How soon are boarding times available and where would I find them --- online or do I need to go through an app?  How soon are itinerary excursions available?  Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Your boarding time is assigned to you and  cannot be chosen. You can choose your port arrival time when you check in for your cruise 14 days out (16 if in a suite).

If you are in a suite you will be among the first to board, assuming you arrive at the terminal early.

• Thanks 1

Currently you select boarding times while checking in on the Carnival website.  Online check-in opens 14 days before your departure date at midnight EST.  Platinum, Diamond, and Suite guests can check in 16 days in advance.

Shore excursions will be available for online booking several months prior to departure.

• Thanks 1

First, if you haven't already set up an account on Carnival's site do so. It is where you will find the on-line check-in two weeks before your cruise. It is also where you will find the shore excursions for your cruise.

As far as check-in, you might want to consider buying "faster to the fun." It costs $130 per cabin and gives you priority check-in at the terminal and priority boarding. You can find it under shore excursions for day one.

Just now, icft said:

First, if you haven't already set up an account on Carnival's site do so. It is where you will find the on-line check-in two weeks before your cruise. It is also where you will find the shore excursions for your cruise.

As far as check-in, you might want to consider buying "faster to the fun." It costs $130 per cabin and gives you priority check-in at the terminal and priority boarding. You can find it under shore excursions for day one.

Thank you for your post.  Yes, I have already signed myself and my husband up for our Carnival accounts.  And, thank you so much for the information on "faster to the fun" -- I just heard someone mention it on a blog but I didn't get to hear the entire recording to know what it was all about.  I will definitely be checking into it.  Since we will be sailing from Seattle, would we find the shore excursion under Seattle???

4 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you for your post.  Yes, I have already signed myself and my husband up for our Carnival accounts.  And, thank you so much for the information on "faster to the fun" -- I just heard someone mention it on a blog but I didn't get to hear the entire recording to know what it was all about.  I will definitely be checking into it.  Since we will be sailing from Seattle, would we find the shore excursion under Seattle???

Yes, that is where it will be. Also, if you are going to Tracy arm, that excursion will be out of Seattle also and was the highlight of our trip. It gets you up close to the glacier. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

Yes, that is where it will be. Also, if you are going to Tracy arm, that excursion will be out of Seattle also and was the highlight of our trip. It gets you up close to the glacier. 

Also highly recommend the small boat Tracy Arm excursion (dress warm) but staying on the ship is also awesome.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

Currently you select boarding times while checking in on the Carnival website.  Online check-in opens 14 days before your departure date at midnight EST.  Platinum, Diamond, and Suite guests can check in 16 days in advance.

Shore excursions will be available for online booking several months prior to departure.

You select arrival times, not boarding times.  

17 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

Thanks.  Would love to go on the Tracy Arm excursion but don't think it will be running during the time we are cruising as we are going early season (5/4/24).  Tracy Arm as well as Hubbard Wilderness Explorer are two of our favorite excursions.  We realize that excursions may be limited by going too early in the season but the itinerary is so unique to us that we decided on booking anyway.  Alaska is our  happy place!

People like to confuse Check in time and Boarding time if you are confused at some of the answers. At midnight exactly 14 days before your cruise you will be allowed to complete online check in which will also include choosing a check in to the terminal time which is first come first available. The reason this may be different from boarding time is that the ship is not ready that early. You may check is as early as 10am, but boarding usually starts around 11. 

Keep in mind that you can also purchase Faster to the Fun which will give you Priority boarding even as a first time cruiser. This will also allow you to check in at your leisure and not worry about check in time, but you must still pick a check in time at online check in. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone has answered this part of my question yet --- can you check in on line (via computer) or do you have to do it through the app?  If the app, is it user friendly?  I have only used the Princess app (hit and miss) and Royal Caribbean (user friendly). 

1 minute ago, Italy52 said:

I don't think anyone has answered this part of my question yet --- can you check in on line (via computer) or do you have to do it through the app?  If the app, is it user friendly?  I have only used the Princess app (hit and miss) and Royal Caribbean (user friendly). 

You have to check in online thru the carnival WEBSITE.  You check in 16 days before your cruise and choose the check in time.  You will board when your zone is called. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

The carnival app is only useful once you get on the ship. Before that, go on the website

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the replies about the app vs website check in.  For check in, can I check both my husband and myself in together --- on the website I have already put down the information showing he is my travel companion.  Or, does he have to check in under his account?

14 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

You have to check in online thru the carnival WEBSITE.  You check in 16 days before your cruise and choose the check in time.  You will board when your zone is called. 

16 for Diamond and Platinum. 14 Days for everyone else. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies about the app vs website check in.  For check in, can I check both my husband and myself in together --- on the website I have already put down the information showing he is my travel companion.  Or, does he have to check in under his account?

You check both of you in. 

• Thanks 1