StarLink

Soonersail

You will still be on Starlink if it is available on the ship.   Basic will be throttled down to the speed similar to the regular basic pre-starlink.

Just think of it as you will still be on the same waterline but a much smaller pipe.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wonder if it could be cheaper to get your own Starlink equipment and set up on your balcony instead buy Celebrity Wi-Fi plan 🤔😁

( only applicable on S & M class ships 😉

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/deals/spacex-starlink-deal-save-54-off-hardware-in-canada/

You might have an issue accessing the satellite depending on your balcony and the ship's heading.  That's why there are so many StarLink antenna's and they are all outside and have unobstructed view of the sky. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wonder if it could be cheaper to get your own Starlink equipment and set up on your balcony instead buy Celebrity Wi-Fi plan 🤔😁

( only applicable on S & M class ships 😉

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/deals/spacex-starlink-deal-save-54-off-hardware-in-canada/

I suspect they might have questions about what you are trying to bring onboard. The equipment isn't small.

3 minutes ago, soniam said:

I suspect they might have questions about what you are trying to bring onboard. The equipment isn't small.

Would think that setting it up would be questioned and since the ship is always moving and changing course how you would keep it on a satellite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Would think that setting it up would be questioned and since the ship is always moving and changing course how you would keep it on a satellite.

We have a stationary one, but I do think they make them for RVs now. Not sure if they work when the RV is moving though.

Actually, I'm sure there is something in the fine print about bringing equipment like that aboard.  It's usually applied to amateur radio operators (hams).   You would have to apply for permission and I doubt they would let you bring it. 

Edited by rmalbers

1 hour ago, soniam said:

We have a stationary one, but I do think they make them for RVs now. Not sure if they work when the RV is moving though.

They are mounted to the roof of the vehicle and are pointed straight up.  The StarLink satellites are not in Geostationary orbit but rather are in low earth orbit.  It is the sheer number of them that results in a satellite being in line of sight of the antenna.  The communications between the satellites hands the switchover very efficiently so that you, the customer on the ground, do not notice that it happens. 

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/Starlink#:~:text=Starlink uses LEO satellites that,speeds and reduces latency levels.

• Like 1