General vibe on O

Sibsie

We cruise Celebrity Retreat level.  We're thinking of switching for Transatlantic cruises.  Oceania surprisingly, works out cheaper when booking a PH1.  I like everything I've read about it and the video reviews I've seen but my only reservation is that it might be a little too old for us with not much to do. I'm a young 50 and still work and the husband is very outgoing.  We don't like the mega ship activities but do like something to do during long sea days.  We're not party animals by any means but like to see a little bit of activity in the evenings.

What's been your experience on Transatlantic's?  

• Like 1

We have done two TA’s from Europe to Miami and would suggest, GO FOR IT. First of all, you will find the Oceania cruiser delightful company. While many on board will be a bit older than you, you will definitely enjoy your new family and never look back. There is plenty going on during the sea days so you will not be bored out of your mind. 
Actually, this Board is full of Celebrity refugee’s so you should hear a lot of positive comments about your potential Oceania cruise. Small O ships are great and if you try Marina or Riviera or Vista, you will LOVE O with all its Free Specialty restaurants. No Up charging unless you opt for some wine or Champagne pairing dinners which are exquisite to say the least.

Go and ENJOY,

Mauibabes. 

• Like 6

totally agree with above....

our only regret is that we didnt switch from Celeb to O, years ago....

have elite plus with Celeb and nothing to show for it....

all the perks that Celeb gives you , are all included on O....and you never feel that there is a class system....whether in owners suites or in insides, all are made to feel that they are welcome and appreciated guests....

O has the best loyalty program of all the lines and we are doing our best to get to level 10, 15 and beyond....now only on 5....

there are plenty of people in every age range...and so encouraging to see older folks, active, full of life and joy, making the most of their lives....

• Like 3

What do you like to do on sea days??

I bet O will have something you enjoy

We had a rocky TA  & were enclosed for several days  so cannot comment on out door activities on a TA  but other cruise  there have  lots to do if they peak your interest

YMMV

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What do you like to do on sea days??

I bet O will have something you enjoy

We had a rocky TA  & were enclosed for several days  so cannot comment on out door activities on a TA  but other cruise  there have  lots to do if they peak your interest

YMMV

On the one we did in April on X we decided to take part in every single activity they had from bean bag toss to blackjack tournament.  I didn't think any of that was my thing and had visions of curling up with a book at hitting the spa but I loved it.  Came in 2nd in Blackjack and discovered a fiercely competitive streak I didn't know I had.  I like a few fitness classes like HIIT and barre and love the spa.

Edited by Sibsie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

totally agree with above....

our only regret is that we didnt switch from Celeb to O, years ago....

have elite plus with Celeb and nothing to show for it....

all the perks that Celeb gives you , are all included on O....and you never feel that there is a class system....whether in owners suites or in insides, all are made to feel that they are welcome and appreciated guests....

O has the best loyalty program of all the lines and we are doing our best to get to level 10, 15 and beyond....now only on 5....

there are plenty of people in every age range...and so encouraging to see older folks, active, full of life and joy, making the most of their lives....

You'll be there in no time. We just hit 10 in December, on the Marina, and love the paid gratuities. The Riviera coming up in March and finally the Oceania Vista in December.
Here are the loyalty perks. Beats the scoop of gelato or the free bingo card on "X".

100.jpg

• Like 3

yes I have this page front and centre....lol....

speaking of gelato on Celebrity....last time I could not get it in a cone...they said, you have to pay for the cone....I said I want to see the manager, the manager is not available right now, so I said get me the hotel manager, she said, ok will give it to you ...but just this once....lol....

they also had a policy where you could get a soft drink but only in the bars at certain hours and you could not take this soft drink out with you....

I hid it behind my jacket and left the lounge heading for the elevator, the next thing I hear is that the Social Hostess is chasing me into the elevator, saying, you cant take that drink with you...I said watch me....

wrote a letter to management, she was fired, policy was changed...but not before others said, oh you will be in big trouble....lol....

can you imagine...that is what went on with Celebrity ships, just a short 3 years ago.....

• Haha 1

depends on whether you like small or smaller.....Insignia, Nautica and Regatta are smaller....680 pax...

whereas Marina, Riviera and Vista are bigger with 1200 pax....

more variety of ages on the bigger ship....most will still be active seniors who enjoy life to the max....

we also found there was a younger vibe on Viking...but we didnt enjoy it nearly as much as O....and the food was nowhere close...but I am picky....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sibsie said:

One other thing.  What's a good ship to start with or are they all much of a muchness?

I would go for the itinerary  but  maybe Riviera/Vista  & Marina after her  makeover

Most are the same  but the larger ships have more dining venues & space compared to the smaller R Ships

JMO

48 minutes ago, Sibsie said:

On the one we did in April on X we decided to take part in every single activity they had from bean bag toss to blackjack tournament.  I didn't think any of that was my thing and had visions of curling up with a book at hitting the spa but I loved it.  Came in 2nd in Blackjack and discovered a fiercely competitive streak I didn't know I had.  I like a few fitness classes like HIIT and barre and love the spa.

Then you will probably be fine on O

if you play Bridge always  people to compete with

Enjoy

• Like 1

Just now, LHT28 said:

I would go for the itinerary  but  maybe Riviera/Vista  & Marine after her  makeover

Most are the same  but the larger ships have more dining venues & space compared to the smaller R Ships

JMO

We've been to most places and I travel every week for work so we really go cruising for the ship and the general joy of being on the ocean.

• Like 1

OH I never even mentioned the kids on Celeb...yup the kids....they are there whether you are in a presidential suite of in the steerage inside....

but wait...you may have the pleasure of a baby in a cabin next to yours...crying all night....yup....

now how is it that we stayed so long with C...I really cant explain it...it was a real lapse in judgement....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

OH I never even mentioned the kids on Celeb...yup the kids....they are there whether you are in a presidential suite of in the steerage inside....

but wait...you may have the pleasure of a baby in a cabin next to yours...crying all night....yup....

now how is it that we stayed so long with C...I really cant explain it...it was a real lapse in judgement....

Jon you forgot to include Sirena in your list of small ships

BTW I will be in my favorite cabin on 9/7 Regatta 8049..

Jancruz1

• Like 2

I would recommend someone coming from Celebrity to first try one of the 3 larger ships. Then if you like the Oceania product explore the smaller ones. Having said that my first 2 Oceania cruises were on the smaller ships, but I cruised Oceania before Celebrity. 

• Like 6

I shouldnt have forgotten the Sirena...we just booked a 21 day, back to back for Feb 8, 2025. Will enjoy the Carib away from our winter. And it will be our 14 cruise by then. 

Must also add that one of our best cruises pre covid was on the little Insignia. Best food, best ambiance. Staff were like our best friends by end of cruise. I see some of them on the other ships and we still remember each other. 

Cant say that about Celebrity, unless it is a bad memory. 

51 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Jon you forgot to include Sirena in your list of small ships

BTW I will be in my favorite cabin on 9/7 Regatta 8049..

Jancruz1

jan, I have made a note of that....

we will be in a balcony for this one , in 6055 and then for the second leg LA to LA in an inside G, guarantee....

4 hours ago, Sibsie said:

We cruise Celebrity Retreat level.  We're thinking of switching for Transatlantic cruises.  Oceania surprisingly, works out cheaper when booking a PH1.  I like everything I've read about it and the video reviews I've seen but my only reservation is that it might be a little too old for us with not much to do. I'm a young 50 and still work and the husband is very outgoing.  We don't like the mega ship activities but do like something to do during long sea days.  We're not party animals by any means but like to see a little bit of activity in the evenings.

What's been your experience on Transatlantic's?  

I've done T/As and T/Ps on both lines many times. I agree that you'll enjoy Oceania. And also that it might be best for your first O cruise to be on one of the "larger" ships..not that they are that large! Celebrity suite prices have gone through the roof. I love to play Trivia, Mah Jongg and go to the various lectures during the day. Or just read my book up in Horizons with the fabulous views. I can be as busy or laid back as I choose. Please let us know what you decide! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sibsie said:

but my only reservation is that it might be a little too old for us with not much to do. I'm a young 50

We are 53/57 and took our first O cruise 5 years ago.

The demographic can depend a bit on the cruise length, time of year, and destinations.

Our first O cruise was 17 days in South America in January 2017. That group was much older than our more recent 12 day cruises in the Baltic (2019)and the Med (2022) which were in July.

There were plenty of 30/40/50 somethings on our Med cruise last year. A few seemed to be travelling with their parents.

I suspect transatlantic's might trend a bit older.

However, we enjoyed the company equally on all three cruises.

But we are also self contained and don't require much in the way of activities (just the table tennis table and the gym).

Edited by Beagle5
  • Like 1

We found that for the  TA crossings , there were  more Europeans and an older clientele. 

In the carib, mostly North Americans and younger. The stats on our recent Riviera cruise in the beginning of Jan were, largest group were American, second was Canadian. 

5 hours ago, Sibsie said:

Everyone in this forum seems *a lot* more chilled than the X one 🙂

Agree! The regulars on the X forum can be very caustic! I don’t miss them at all. Of course, this forum also has a few snarky posters, but somehow they are easier to “ignore”. 
Shorter (longer) itineraries will tend to have younger (older) pax demographic. Also, generally fewer kids than on X. I’m guessing Alaska will have more kids than on other O itins, although I could be mistaken….
I really loved my NOV 2021 TA on Riviera, but I enjoy playing bridge. There will be lots of opportunities to play bridge on every sea day, and I’m sure other options such as Mah Jong as well. Often there are very good guest lecturers, w lectures often scheduled on sea days.

If you spend some time reviewing this forum, you’ll learn a lot about the intricacies on booking on O. Drinks packages, O Life packages, YWYW discounts, cruise only fare versus cruise w airfare included. It helps to use a TA that is very familiar w O!
The BEST part of O is meeting and mingling w your fellow pax! They’re the best!

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

@Sibsie

if you can travel at the drop of a hat, we were told this a.m. that there are only 770 on Marina, Santiago to Buenos Aires and into Antarctica. While the seas can be rough in Drakes Passage, from a purely enjoying Nature standpoint, this cruise is absolutely the best we have ever taken. ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR. 
You should grab the first available itinerary that floats your boat and get to cruising Oceania and don’t look back. So much of 2023 is sold out, and Waitlisted but try it, you’ll like it. New itineraries for 2025 will be out in a couple of months. 
Mauibabes

• Like 4