Just off Reflection (1/22-29): observations on dinner buffet, new dining charges

Carried_Away

I just returned from the Reflection's 1/22/23 sailing and thought I'd offer some experience and observations from the ship about the dining changes that have been discussed on this forum.

My friend and I were in concierge class. (Many thanks to the person who posted here a while back about Celebrity offering no single supplement on this and other sailings. We had connecting rooms instead of sharing a room, and I loved having the extra space.) When we met our stateroom attendant the first day, he told us there was a new charge of $9.95 for room service orders except for breakfast. On the Celebrity app, the MDR menu listed the charge for extra lobsters.

We had dinner a couple of nights in the Oceanview Cafe. Some stations were closed, and there may have been fewer offerings than I've seen on other cruises, but I'm not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't read about reduced dinner offerings on this forum. The pizza and pasta stations were open, as were the salad bar and the stir-fry station. The grill station offered fish, chicken, and pork chops. There was also a station offering a daily special. The dessert section was smaller than it was at lunch, but it still had a variety of options, and the ice cream bar was open. I am a very picky eater, but I had no complaints about the variety of offerings for dinner in Oceanview. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

We didn't eat in the MDR at all this cruise except for the concierge lunch on the first day. Service at that lunch was extremely slow. The person seated at the table next to us actually left before getting her meal because it was taking so long. We had a lot of OBC and used some of it for five nights of specialty dinners. We ate the other two dinners and all other lunches and breakfasts in Oceanview.

Edited by Carried_Away
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Carried_Away said:

I just returned from the Reflection's 1/22/23 sailing and thought I'd offer some experience and observations from the ship about the dining changes that have been discussed on this forum.

My friend and I were in concierge class. (Many thanks to the person who posted here a while back about Celebrity offering no single supplement on this and other sailings. We had connecting rooms instead of sharing a room, and I loved having the extra space.) When we met our stateroom attendant the first day, he told us there was a new charge of $9.95 for room service orders except for breakfast. On the Celebrity app, the MDR menu listed the charge for extra lobsters.

We had dinner a couple of nights in the Oceanview Cafe. Some stations were closed, and there may have been fewer offerings than I've seen on other cruises, but I'm not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't read about reduced dinner offerings on this forum. The pizza and pasta stations were open, as were the salad bar and the stir-fry station. The grill station offered fish, chicken, and pork chops. There was also a station offering a daily special. The dessert section was smaller than it was at lunch, but it still had a variety of options, and the ice cream bar was open. I am a very picky eater, but I had no complaints about the variety of offerings for dinner in Oceanview. 

Thank you for your honest review!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 8:25 PM, Carried_Away said:

Just off Equinox.  The OVC at dinner was as you described - but no grill station.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Can I ask if you happened by the OV Cafe before dinner service? A fellow cruiser watched a video about reasons to cruise Celebrity and scones were mentioned. I’ve heard yes and I’ve heard no regarding availability of scones and tea offerings since January 1, so it may be ship dependent. My fingers are crossed for scones being available.

8 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Can I ask if you happened by the OV Cafe before dinner service? A fellow cruiser watched a video about reasons to cruise Celebrity and scones were mentioned. I’ve heard yes and I’ve heard no regarding availability of scones and tea offerings since January 1, so it may be ship dependent. My fingers are crossed for scones being available.

Was on Reflection 1/22-1/29 yes there were scones at tea time( around 3pm). Also jam and clotted cream. As well as other sweets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also was on Reflection 1/22-1/29. The Oceanview had plenty of choices for dinner.

There was no grill on the first night but after that the rest of week they grilled salmon, chicken, steak and pork chops.

You won't go hungry if don't keep your expectations to high!

I didn't eat dinner there just cruised through to get a late night snack for after the bar.

• Thanks 1

Just wondering if you ordered breakfast room service.

I have heard that there is no charge for continental breakfast but from what you have stated, it looks like you can order anything off the breakfast service menu with no charge? FWIW that should be the way it is for concierge rooms as they do advertise as a perk for choosing this class of stateroom that they have an expanded breakfast menu (my wife and I have had it several times in concierge) and it would be nice if there was no charge for it.

We are going on the Reflection in July and hope the OV cafe continues to have the made to order grill station set up. It is a great option especially on a port heavy Greece itinerary like we are going to be doing! They did not seem to have it going on our recent 5 night cruise on the Solstice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, graysonman said:

Just wondering if you ordered breakfast room service.

I have heard that there is no charge for continental breakfast but from what you have stated, it looks like you can order anything off the breakfast service menu with no charge? FWIW that should be the way it is for concierge rooms as they do advertise as a perk for choosing this class of stateroom that they have an expanded breakfast menu (my wife and I have had it several times in concierge) and it would be nice if there was no charge for it.

We are going on the Reflection in July and hope the OV cafe continues to have the made to order grill station set up. It is a great option especially on a port heavy Greece itinerary like we are going to be doing! They did not seem to have it going on our recent 5 night cruise on the Solstice.

No I didn't order room service. The in room menu had no charge listed but if you look at the t.v. there was $9.95 charge. I was in a suite so I don't know if I would have been charged or not.