Gym limits

roadster08

9 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

Are there time limits for using treadmills on Princess or any other restrictions when using the equipment? 

I've seen signs saying 45 minutes. In my experiences, it's not enforced. Possibly time of day would also factor in if some one was actually monitoring the gym equipment use.  

Just now, davekathy said:

Never seen that. 

It is only on certain ships depending on the location of gym. It may be that most of those ships have been decommissioned.  I have been on around 50 cruises since 1990 and it used to be quite common on smaller ships where some treadmills were right above cabins.  Of course unless there is an employee there some people just ignored the signs

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

It is only on certain ships depending on the location of gym. It may be that most of those ships have been decommissioned.  I have been on around 50 cruises since 1990 and it used to be quite common on smaller ships where some treadmills were right above cabins.  Of course unless there is an employee there some people just ignored the signs

I would venture to say, it's no longer an issue. 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

On some ships where the gym is over passenger cabins some machines may not be available early in the morning. Like before 8 or so

Grand class and Royal class (7 ships total) have fitness centers on the Sun deck located above a set of cabins on the Lido deck. On one of these, Emerald, which we sailed on recently the fitness center hours were 7:00am to 8:30pm.  They can vary a bit by ship and itinerary but I think this is a fair estimate. Hours are in the Patter and there are typically threads here with recent Patters posted for most ships.

FYI I never saw the gym very busy on our sailing (with an admittedly older crowd). People used it especially on the many sea days but there were always plenty of open machines.

The newer classes of ships seem to have the fitness center located above/below public areas and allow 24 hour usage.

Edited by EconDoc

On the Sapphire in November the posted hours for the gym was 7am-10pm.  We like to work out early in the morning so we started showing up at 7 and there were always people already working out so we started going a little earlier.  After about 4 or 5 days they suddenly started enforcing the 7am opening, not allowing anyone in before that.  A crew member told me that was because people in the cabins on the Lido deck were complaining.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, memoak said:

It is only on certain ships depending on the location of gym. It may be that most of those ships have been decommissioned.  

All the Grand / Super-Grand class ships.

Ruby, Emerald, etc.

If princess cared to, they could fix the noise problem with some appropriate underlayment.

But, in 20 years they haven't cared to.   Probably not going to start now.

Some of the ships have paper signs stating a time limit.

But, as I am a member of cruise critic, I know that doesn't apply to me.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

On the Sapphire in November the posted hours for the gym was 7am-10pm.  We like to work out early in the morning so we started showing up at 7 and there were always people already working out so we started going a little earlier.  After about 4 or 5 days they suddenly started enforcing the 7am opening, not allowing anyone in before that.  A crew member told me that was because people in the cabins on the Lido deck were complaining.

Another reason we don't book guaranteed cabins. We want to know exactly where our cabin is. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, roadster08 said:

Are there time limits for using treadmills on Princess or any other restrictions when using the equipment? 

To be clear to your actual question from an avid runner...I frequently run over 1 hour on the treadmills. I've not seen a sign on Princess ships limiting like I have at hotels / gyms. 

Others' posts are correct about hours being different based on type of ship.  The Grand Class ships (Ruby, Emerald, Crown, Caribbean in my personal experience) don't allow people to run on the mills too early because of what people describe above as limiting noise for rooms directly below.  Royal Class ships all have their gyms over top of Horizon Court / World Fresh Marketplace and are open 24/7 (although an attendant starts ~7AM).  All Royal Class ships also have a track up top that is advertised as 7 laps / mile....although GPS measurement in port puts it closer to 6 than 7.

I used track for easy effort runs due to tighter turns (I've done 3 marathons on board before), but I've found it useful to be clear of track no later than 730 or 8 due to volume of walkers clogging the running lane a bit.  It empties out later in the day when it has been hotter on our preferred itineraries.  I use treadmills for intervals / speedier sessions of up to 10ish miles in the past.

1 hour ago, dweidensaul said:

To be clear to your actual question from an avid runner...I frequently run over 1 hour on the treadmills. I've not seen a sign on Princess ships limiting like I have at hotels / gyms. 

Others' posts are correct about hours being different based on type of ship.  The Grand Class ships (Ruby, Emerald, Crown, Caribbean in my personal experience) don't allow people to run on the mills too early because of what people describe above as limiting noise for rooms directly below.  Royal Class ships all have their gyms over top of Horizon Court / World Fresh Marketplace and are open 24/7 (although an attendant starts ~7AM).  All Royal Class ships also have a track up top that is advertised as 7 laps / mile....although GPS measurement in port puts it closer to 6 than 7.

I used track for easy effort runs due to tighter turns (I've done 3 marathons on board before), but I've found it useful to be clear of track no later than 730 or 8 due to volume of walkers clogging the running lane a bit.  It empties out later in the day when it has been hotter on our preferred itineraries.  I use treadmills for intervals / speedier sessions of up to 10ish miles in the past.

Yup, it's about 6 1/4 laps per mile. The Majestic Princess didn't have a track when we were on it in 2021.

I'm a walker and I make an effort to get out of the way of the runners passing me. Many of the others on the track really aren't walkers. They're up there taking pictures, wandering about, not paying attention. I refer to them as moving chicanes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dweidensaul said:

I've found it useful to be clear of track no later than 730

Agree. My experience also. I'm on the track for 1.5 hours each morning, weather permitting.  NLT 6:AM and off NLT 7:30 AM. My walking style is between a power walker and a speed walker. 

On 1/31/2023 at 3:39 PM, EconDoc said:

Grand class and Royal class (7 ships total) have fitness centers on the Sun deck located above a set of cabins on the Lido deck. On one of these, Emerald, which we sailed on recently the fitness center hours were 7:00am to 8:30pm. 

Of the royal class ships, I have only been on regal and royal.   The guy is aft, above the lido.

I was using the treadmill on emerald once ... there was a girl using one nearby.

I think she weighed less than half of what I do.

Her steps just pounded.

This was in the afternoon, so I don't think it bothered anyone.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:40 AM, memoak said:

It is on the Grand Class ships because of cabins below the gym is often not even opened until 7:00 AM and it was common pre-covid to see the treadmill having signs on them saying they could not be used until 8:00 AM.  All other equipment could.

Recently on the Crown Princess passengers wanted Princess to open the gym before 7:00AM but the Spa Manager was unwilling to do that.  One of the many reasons we prefer the Royal Class ships because you can use the gyms 24 hours a day on the ships we have been on.