Skagway Rockfall

cruisingrob21

Has anyone heard anything new about the skagway pier reconstruction/mitigation plan?  I had heard work was progressing on protecting the railroad dock but then things stalled out.  Plan B is to only allow 1 or 2 smaller ships to dock in the southern half of the pier and provide shuttles through the hazard zone.  Plan C is to expand one of the other docks.  Plan B could be implemented this next season, but it sounds like this wasn't preferred.  Plan C is unlikely to be completed for next season.

So on a busy day, I'm wondering if the larger ships (Princess Royal Class variants) will be sent to Sitka, ISP, or Haines.

19 minutes ago, auntmeg said:

I'm wondering if they would just tender the passengers to the dock.

I think I saw that as another alternative - so perhaps?  But last year they just sent ships elsewhere instead of tendering.

Edited by cruisingrob21

13 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I think I saw that as another alternative - so perhaps?  But last year they just sent ships elsewhere instead of tendering.

Actually, some ships which docked at aft position of the RR dock (which can dock two ships) did indeed tender from the aft position to the small boat harbor.   We did B2B Alaska cruises last summer.  The first time we were there a few days before the slide and we docked as normal.  The second time was a few days after the slide, but the ship docked and the ship tenders moved folks around the slide to the small boat harbor.  And rocks were still sliding down the cliff face which was quite interesting.

On 1/31/2023 at 4:50 PM, cruisingrob21 said:

Last year, we tendered from ship to Skagway for one of our cruises and we went to an alternate port (Haines) for another one of our cruises. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 8:50 AM, Panhandle Couple said:

See my post asking the same thing.

No answers, it seems.

I googled the subject and found numerous newspaper articles in Alaska.  It seems the repairs will not be completed in time for all cruise ships to dock this upcoming season but the articles don't mention which ships will.   Perhaps they don't know yet but the best bet is probably to ask the cruise line and hope they answer honestly although they might not know yet either. I would be surprised if they will be able to much more work before the season begins due to their weather. 

The cruise lines are going to have problems with their bigger ships if they can't go to Skagway.  There are no alternative ports.  Icy Strait can only take two ships at a time. Sitka can take 2000 ship feet at the new dock (two ships 1000 feet or less or one ship over 1000), and Haines can accommodate one ship 850 feet or less.  

I have cruised a lot, and my experience is that the cruise lines won't tell you anything it's not in their best interest for you to know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlh0500 said:

I googled the subject and found numerous newspaper articles in Alaska.  It seems the repairs will not be completed in time for all cruise ships to dock this upcoming season but the articles don't mention which ships will.   Perhaps they don't know yet but the best bet is probably to ask the cruise line and hope they answer honestly although they might not know yet either. I would be surprised if they will be able to much more work before the season begins due to their weather. 

You are an optimist!!

DON

The emergency repairs are scheduled to be completed in time for the cruise season. If the repairs pass the safety testing, ships docked at Railroad Dock Aft will use buses to take passengers past the slide area and ships at the Railroad Dock Forward Berth will use tenders. A slower process than in the past, but better than missing the port.

https://www.cruisehive.com/alaska-port-rockslide-work-to-be-done-by-cruise-season/94215

• Like 6

4 hours ago, JT1962 said:

A slower process than in the past, but better than missing the port.

Skagway is a great port, but we made our first stop in Icy Straight Point last year and really enjoyed it, almost as much as we have enjoyed Skagway in the past.

That being said, sailing out of the Chilkoot inlet is exceptionally scenic most of the time.

• Like 1

The berth assignments have recently been added to the schedule. As you can see there are up to four ships a day. Before the berth assignments were shown there have been several cancellations of planned calls.  Fortunately for us, the one cancellation for the Queen Elizabeth was not for the cruise we booked.

https://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/SKG-Skagway-2023.pdf

If you are on a sailing that is going to the BRD or ORE beths, rest assured you'll make the port call in Skagway by walking off the ship onto the pier.

The RRA or RRF positions will require tenders or shuttle busses or potentially may go to an alternative port.

18 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

What are the logistics of bussing/tendering 4000-5000 passengers?

nearly as bad as explaining to almost the same number of passengers on a ship docked in the forward position, that everyone will have to go to the other side of the ship and board a tender to take a 3 minute ride to a pier.

I could see the ships doing the tenders/buses for a short time and then sending ships elsewhere.  I have a feeling that onboard logistics and financial folks will see the challenges presented by these issues (moreso the tender operations ships, given mobility limtied people and wheelchair lifts) as well as the extra costs that the cruise lines will have to outlay for tender operations, and they encourage headquarters to revise itineraries if possible.

9 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

nearly as bad as explaining to almost the same number of passengers on a ship docked in the forward position, that everyone will have to go to the other side of the ship and board a tender to take a 3 minute ride to a pier.

I could see the ships doing the tenders/buses for a short time and then sending ships elsewhere.  I have a feeling that onboard logistics and financial folks will see the challenges presented by these issues (moreso the tender operations ships, given mobility limtied people and wheelchair lifts) as well as the extra costs that the cruise lines will have to outlay for tender operations, and they encourage headquarters to revise itineraries if possible.

There's literally no other place for the big ships to go.