Queen Anne

Hoveto

20 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hello!  Just judging by the deck plans IMHO Queen Anne is going to be crowded.   After 60+ sailings on Cunard Line vessels, there is no way I am booking a ship that does not have a true promenade deck such that exists on QM2, QV and QE.  

europe trip QM2 2013 022.jpg

Whist on a recent Cunard cruise after booking another with the WC rep/sales person we questioned them closely about  QA's promenade deck mentioning the Konigsdam as a being similar possibly to QA. The rep said quite strongly that that was not the case and that the prom deck would be similar to QV and QE. We were shown photos of Koningsdam and  a IT illustration of QA which seemed to be different. We also inquired about deck 4 obstructed balconies on QA and were told that they were like QM2 deck 8 with full view of lifeboats. We booked deck 6 balconies when given that info. We shall see.   

• Like 2

Thank you Sogne- so there is still hope- I guess we have to wait and see. What a pity,  all our complaining and wining about the prommenade deck of QA ( or the lack thereof)  - for nothing.. LOL.

WHAT NO WATER CANONS- okay- so let´s hope they have a nice Zip Line on board QA - let´s say- from the Grills over to the Hoipoloi and back. Have watersildes ever been mentioned-  i did not hear anything about those wonderful waterslides?

Even a Johnny Rockets? But an icescating ring- that´s a must....!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Thank you Sogne- so there is still hope- I guess we have to wait and see. What a pity,  all our complaining and wining about the prommenade deck of QA ( or the lack thereof)  - for nothing.. LOL.

WHAT NO WATER CANONS- okay- so let´s hope they have a nice Zip Line on board QA - let´s say- from the Grills over to the Hoipoloi and back. Have watersildes ever been mentioned-  i did not hear anything about those wonderful waterslides?

II think my water cannons jest was lost in translation.🙂

We have booked two cruises on QA. Yes she certainly will be a departure from past designs and we are only giving her a trial because Victoria will have deserted Southampton, for the Med. Summer '24  and QE is Down Under 'ish but, we have no fear the fundamental Cunard ethos will be underpinning the latest Cunard addition to the fleet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

II think my water cannons jest was lost in translation.🙂

We have booked two cruises on QA. Yes she certainly will be a departure from past designs and we are only giving her a trial because Victoria will have deserted Southampton, for the Med. Summer '24  and QE is Down Under 'ish but, we have no fear the fundamental Cunard ethos will be underpinning the latest Cunard addition to the fleet.

Does that mean you think it will or it won’t? Seems somewhat ambiguous. 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

the WC rep told us they are  on this forum  and was well aware of the concerns of prom deck I was not wholly convinced but it is deck 4 which is obstructed by lifeboats. I ask myself why would the rep have so strongly stated that the prom deck would be similar to QE and QV knowing the expressed concerns. Even so I not totally convinced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Does that mean you think it will or it won’t? Seems somewhat ambiguous. 😀

When I tried to add a comma, it was too late so left it.

So just for you and clarity 😄

''we have no fear, ...''

and we haven't. That doesn't mean to say we're jumping for joy at the thought of trying out QA but we have no choice as I don't like QM2 and we passed on flying next year.

We may even end up loving it. Maybe. 🙂

30 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

When I tried to add a comma, it was too late so left it.

So just for you and clarity 😄

''we have no fear, ...''

and we haven't. That doesn't mean to say we're jumping for joy at the thought of trying out QA but we have no choice as I don't like QM2 and we passed on flying next year.

We may even end up loving it. Maybe. 🙂

Well, I feel much the same, and some of the interiors, like the main dining room, seem gorgeous in the pictures. Nonetheless, we didn’t intend to book her, except QE was in Aus, and QV involved flying, so here we are on her second voyage, if she goes into service on time.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Well, I feel much the same, and some of the interiors, like the main dining room, seem gorgeous in the pictures. Nonetheless, we didn’t intend to book her, except QE was in Aus, and QV involved flying, so here we are on her second voyage, if she goes into service on time.

Fingers crossed then. 👍

Hello!

If you look at the deck plans of the QA you can plainly see the so called promenade deck is  narrow and does not come close to what the other Cunard ships have.  In addition, you can plainly see the view from this deck is going to be mostly blocked by lifeboats. Please compare deck plans of QE and QV. Either that WC rep is uninformed or deliberately misleading you.   Of course, I may be wrong about this but doubt it.  Anyone concerned about this promenade deck issue should just wait and see once the ship is finally at sea.  If you must have a true promenade deck with deck chairs just wait and see.  Pictures are of the QV promenade deck.

south america 045.jpg

south america 042.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, deck chair said:

Hello!

If you look at the deck plans of the QA you can plainly see the so called promenade deck is  narrow and does not come close to what the other Cunard ships have.  In addition, you can plainly see the view from this deck is going to be mostly blocked by lifeboats. Please compare deck plans of QE and QV. Either that WC rep is uninformed or deliberately misleading you.   Of course, I may be wrong about this but doubt it.  Anyone concerned about this promenade deck issue should just wait and see once the ship is finally at sea.  If you must have a true promenade deck with deck chairs just wait and see.  Pictures are of the QV promenade deck.

south america 045.jpg

south america 042.jpg

We have done 31 cruises on QV & QE and  are well acquainted with their prom decks

I am only stating what I was told and are not wholly convinced.

5 minutes ago, sogne said:

We have done 31 cruises on QV & QE and  are well acquainted with their prom decks

I am only stating what I was told and are not wholly convinced.

I hear you and understand your meaning.  I will not be convinced I am wrong until we actually hear reports from the passengers on the QA. 

5 minutes ago, sogne said:

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

Is that a launderette I see in the middle of the Princess Grill suites on decks 4 & 7?

Yes! I have noticed that and also one on deck 8: all opposite PG suites. So just three smaller(?) launderettes for a larger ship, which should be interesting on longer voyages.

I have come to the conclusion that marine architects have never cruised, let alone what Grills  paying passengers expect, which is not an inconsiderable premium these days.

I am still looking forward to our booked voyage on QA: a new ship is always nice and hope to see more use of technology.
I was recently on Princess and very impressed with their medallion app system - even doors unlock as you approach! So much better than these outdated keycards that don’t react kindly to being near mobile phones🤣.

16 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Yes! I have noticed that and also one on deck 8: all opposite PG suites. So just three smaller(?) launderettes for a larger ship, which should be interesting on longer voyages.

I have come to the conclusion that marine architects have never cruised, let alone what Grills  paying passengers expect, which is not an inconsiderable premium these days.

I am still looking forward to our booked voyage on QA: a new ship is always nice and hope to see more use of technology.
I was recently on Princess and very impressed with their medallion app system - even doors unlock as you approach! So much better than these outdated keycards that don’t react kindly to being near mobile phones🤣.

Actually, there are four as there's one just beyond the lobby on deck one. which, I imagine, considering not many other deck passengers will be traipsing down there, means that's going to be the one with the least footfall.

Saddo that I am, I picked our cabin on seven because it is near the laundry 🙂 although I have a feeling we might be utilising the ship facility more, if needs be.

30 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

The doors unlock as you approach? What a complete dystopian nightmare. What if you just happen to be walking past on the way to somewhere else? More excitingly, what if your cabin mate is standing naked within line as it opens itself? And do you actually have to wear the thing? Keycards sound a much less anxiety-inducing device. And why put it near a mobile phone if you know it doesn’t like it? Actually I’d quite like to go back to actual keys.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The doors unlock as you approach? What a complete dystopian nightmare. What if you just happen to be walking past on the way to somewhere else? More excitingly, what if your cabin mate is standing naked within line as it opens itself? And do you actually have to wear the thing? Keycards sound a much less anxiety-inducing device. And why put it near a mobile phone if you know it doesn’t like it? Actually I’d quite like to go back to actual keys.

The door latch releases when you are about eight feet away but one actually has to depress the handle to enter, so no fumbling with key card. I wou,d think particularly useful for i paired mobility and those not so young.

I am sure many ladies want to keep a phone and keycard in a small bag, with other small objects whilst onboard, so expect the turnover of keycards to be quite considerable on a voyage. The very small medallion can be worn, kept in a pocket or bag. No signing of bills as the staff just ”zap” it: personally I find it was a great gizmo and leaves Cunard in the dark age. All statements can easily be accessed on one’s chosen device. It really is the way forward compared to what we Cunarders are used to as it has so many other uses! One can even find where your travelling companion is on ship at any time, if set to do so.

The QA is for the next 20+ years so I really hope it reflects the long term use of the vessel: life and times do not stand still.

50 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

The door latch releases when you are about eight feet away but one actually has to depress the handle to enter, so no fumbling with key card. I wou,d think particularly useful for i paired mobility and those not so young.

I am sure many ladies want to keep a phone and keycard in a small bag, with other small objects whilst onboard, so expect the turnover of keycards to be quite considerable on a voyage. The very small medallion can be worn, kept in a pocket or bag. No signing of bills as the staff just ”zap” it: personally I find it was a great gizmo and leaves Cunard in the dark age. All statements can easily be accessed on one’s chosen device. It really is the way forward compared to what we Cunarders are used to as it has so many other uses! One can even find where your travelling companion is on ship at any time, if set to do so.

The QA is for the next 20+ years so I really hope it reflects the long term use of the vessel: life and times do not stand still.

I won't tell where my keycard is kept during the day but suffice to say, I often don't carry a bag around with me and I don't keep it in a pocket or near my ipad, phone being stuffed in a drawer in the room.

I can't stand lanyards and won't be wearing a medallion so I guess the same receptacle  will be utilised for any [small] room thingy.

I'm happy with the key card but then, I'm a dinosaur, technology wise. 😄

• Like 2

I have used the Medallion on a Princess cruise recently, and was quite happy with it. The supplied rectangular holder for the Medallion itself attached and detached from a lanyard, and was the same size and only marginally thicker than a key card. I treated it the same - straight into a pocket. There are enough ‘holding’ accessories available to allow people to wear/store it as they wish, though - I stuck with the way I was used to!

In terms of the technology that accompanied it, I liked most service offerings - the door unlocking (not opening!) was convenient, and acting as a way for servers to locate you with a drink on deck was rather useful. But I never felt unable to use a human if I absolutely needed to.

As a Fincantieri vessel, I would imagine Queen Anne has been specified with the wiring to support Medallion (or rather, to support a Cunard-style offering of some degree). P&O’s Iona and Arvia, and possibly Britannia, have been built or refitted as such, according to a post on that forum the other day. Carnival seem to think it’s the direction of travel.

At the very least, I expect to see better wireless internet support! That’s a no-brainer, and much easier to insert at launch. I’m excited to see what service evolutions Cunard are offering in the technology area when QA launches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadyL1 said:

So the thing unlocks as you approach. What does it do if you choose not to go in? And 8 feet seems much too far, if you are trying to get away from someone. I’m sure this is a rare phenomenon, but it must happen even on Cunard ships. I should imagine that I qualify as a ‘not so young lady’, and can’t imagine what there is about my age that would make it useful. I always (nearly) carry a bag with card and phone in, and have never had a problem, so I think you are doing a bit of mistaken stereotyping here. As I decrepit dinosaur, I am hoping to remain in the dark ages. I for one was very glad when Cunard reintroduced signing bills. It meant I had a copy to keep track from.