Guarantee Balcony on oasis?

I booked a guaranteed balcony on oasis. Is it possible that I would get a ocean view balcony or would I only be eligible for a neighborhood balcony? The representative from Royal Caribbean said that I would only be eligible for a neighborhood balcony, I think she is incorrect. Has anyone had any experience with a guaranteed balcony on oasis. What type of balcony did you end up with? Thank you in advance for any help.

There are two different balcony guarantee classes on Oasis. If you booked a neighborhood balcony guarantee you will get a neighborhood balcony. If you booked an oceanview balcony guarantee you will get an oceanview balcony. 

6 minutes ago, tomahawk246 said:

I booked a guaranteed balcony on oasis. Is it possible that I would get a ocean view balcony or would I only be eligible for a neighborhood balcony? The representative from Royal Caribbean said that I would only be eligible for a neighborhood balcony, I think she is incorrect. Has anyone had any experience with a guaranteed balcony on oasis. What type of balcony did you end up with? Thank you in advance for any help.

There are actually 2 kinds of balcony gty you can book. One says neighborhood balcony gty I assume you booked. While anything is possible it's not probable to get a ocean view.

There are two types of balcony gty on Oasis class.  From what the rep said, you booked the less expensive and more commonly available one, XN, Neighborhood balcony gty.  I have booked those multiple times and always have gotten either a Boardwalk or Central Park balcony assignment.  The other type category XB, the oceanview balcony gty.  I have also booked XB on Oasis class.

Is there a chance a person booking a XN will get a free upgrade?  Yeah, there’s a very slim chance… don’t hold your breath.

Edited by Starry Eyes

33 minutes ago, tomahawk246 said:

My invoice just says GTY.

When both types are available you can chose XB or Xn.  Once ocean view balconies are no longer being offered they just offer GTY. This question and answer came up at a captains corner talk with Captain Johnny on Oasis a few years ago. 

3 hours ago, tomahawk246 said:

I have the same situation for my Allure cruise in May. I booked it last September and there were plenty of central park, boardwalk and ocean view cabins available but to pick a cabin would have been several hundred dollars more than the balcony guarantee so that's what I went with. There wasn't a choice of an inside balcony or ocean view balcony guarantee. My invoice also just says GTY. Now I'm playing the waiting game to see what I will be assigned. 

10 hours ago, tomahawk246 said:

That’s typical on an invoice.  Nevertheless the agent told you which gty you were booking by saying you’d get a neighborhood balcony.  If you’d like to know if XB is available and if so the extra cost, call and ask.

I booked a bunch of rooms for a July Oasis cruise back in October. When I looked online there was no choice between neighborhood or ocean balcony guarantee, just balcony guarantee. When I called I was given a choice between ocean balcony guarantee, or just balcony guarantee, and was specifically told it could be either depending on availability. There was no option for a neighborhood balcony guarantee. 

34 minutes ago, jacobtsf said:

I booked a bunch of rooms for a July Oasis cruise back in October. When I looked online there was no choice between neighborhood or ocean balcony guarantee, just balcony guarantee. When I called I was given a choice between ocean balcony guarantee, or just balcony guarantee, and was specifically told it could be either depending on availability. There was no option for a neighborhood balcony guarantee. 

Well, now you learned another lesson…always ask for the category letter code.  None of us can travel back in time to know for certain, yet after many years of booking Oasis class balcony gty’s I’m pretty sure had you gotten them, the codes would have been XB and XN. 

Had you booked that unspecified balcony gty option online on the consumer website (“we pick”), you would have been booking category XN.

Edited by Starry Eyes

When I was booking Allure last month, Royal’s website only showed a general balcony GTY however other travel websites showed XN and XB guarantees. When I called my agent, I was able to specifically book the XB. I had a cabin for 3 on hold because no GTY was offered. The day I went to confirm the reservation, an XB popped up as available for 3 at a significant savings. 

8 hours ago, crazyfrazee said:

A GTY balcony is pretty much a Central Park balcony.

Disagree…I have been assigned about half Boardwalk and half Central Park balconies from XN bookings over the years.  I have never been assigned an oceanview balcony from an XN booking….not even before RoyalUp.

• Like 1