Celebration off to a rough start?

Ilovesailaway

25 minutes ago, mz-s said:

True, launching a boat in Nassau or doing the e-muster process we have now is nothing like an actual emergency.

Actually, what the crew do to launch a lifeboat during drill, regardless of where it is done, is precisely what would be done in an emergency situation.  The reason it is done in a sheltered port is that the retrieval of the boats is an inherently dangerous activity.  The lifeboat arrangements are designed to do one thing, be launched with a load of people, once.  To make this objective as foolproof as possible, things are done in the design that make other processes, like retrieving the boat, very difficult and dangerous.  Injuries during lifeboat drills is one of the leading causes of injury among mariners.

The crew go through the exact same steps they would do in an emergency, so the "muscle memory" of what to do is ingrained.  My point was, that if you made the boat drill like the e-muster, they wouldn't actually do what they are supposed to do.  It's like the crew doing a "table top" or "discussion" of how to fight a fire, without putting the gear on, without actually handling a hose with 150psi of water pressure, or how to actually fight a fire, and expecting them to be well trained.  The old adage is "train as you would fight, and then fight as you trained".  Realism in training is everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, what the crew do to launch a lifeboat during drill, regardless of where it is done, is precisely what would be done in an emergency situation.  The reason it is done in a sheltered port is that the retrieval of the boats is an inherently dangerous activity.  The lifeboat arrangements are designed to do one thing, be launched with a load of people, once.  To make this objective as foolproof as possible, things are done in the design that make other processes, like retrieving the boat, very difficult and dangerous.  Injuries during lifeboat drills is one of the leading causes of injury among mariners.

The crew go through the exact same steps they would do in an emergency, so the "muscle memory" of what to do is ingrained.  My point was, that if you made the boat drill like the e-muster, they wouldn't actually do what they are supposed to do.  It's like the crew doing a "table top" or "discussion" of how to fight a fire, without putting the gear on, without actually handling a hose with 150psi of water pressure, or how to actually fight a fire, and expecting them to be well trained.  The old adage is "train as you would fight, and then fight as you trained".  Realism in training is everything.

They're not training with 3000+ panicked guests around them though. So in that sense, it is nothing like an actual emergency.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mz-s said:

True, launching a boat in Nassau or doing the e-muster process we have now is nothing like an actual emergency...I pray this e-muster is never put to the test, but eventually it will be and frankly I think it will be found wanting to say the least...

True, and it is shameful how few really care about their own safety, or at best give it no thought.

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They're not training with 3000+ panicked guests around them though. So in that sense, it is nothing like an actual emergency.

But they also don't have the assistance of the muster station teams to control the crowds.  And, most of the boat prep is being done while the passengers are being mustered, on many ships well away from the boats.  Even if there is no inclination to load passengers into the boats, in a complete "fire and general emergency" situation (which is what the "passenger muster signal" is, not abandon ship), the boat launching crews and the boat crews (who are not the muster station teams) will report to the boats and prep them and lower them to embarkation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

True, launching a boat in Nassau or doing the e-muster process we have now is nothing like an actual emergency...I pray this e-muster is never put to the test, but eventually it will be and frankly I think it will be found wanting to say the least...

It should be at least as good as before when people legally drunk were attending.

The good old days were when Princess was teaching people if all else fails, this is the procedure for jumping overboard.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, chengkp75 said:

And, note, that contrary to most passengers' notion, the "passenger muster" signal is not the "abandon ship" signal, it is known to crew as the "fire and general emergency" signal.

No indeed. An "abandon" order would come later...and hopefully not at all. 

I remained on ship once when seemingly everyone else had gone ashore at St. Thomas -- it felt like there were 50 passengers left onboard by 10 am (I had a later excursion).  

So, they did a crew safety drill, but this one was a pretty complete one, including the Captain coming on the all-call and announcing "as Master of the vessel, I am hereby ordering Abandon Ship."    

It was prefaced or followed by "this is a crew-only drill," of course, but just to hear THAT over the PA was pretty chilling.    😮  

• Like 3