T-Mobile on Celebrity's Mexican Riviera cruise without ship's Wi-Fi?

Vagabond Knight

Heading out on the Solstice in a few weeks (Los Angeles, Catalina Island, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego, Los Angeles).  I will NOT be purchasing Celebrity's onboard Wi-Fi.  I have a U.S. T-Mobile plan that also covers me in Mexico. How do I ensure that I don't pick up the ship's Wi-Fi/cellular, while still being able to use my T-Mobile service when I'm in range?  "Being connected" during the week is a much lower priority for me than making sure I don't come home with a big roaming/connection bill that will cut into my future cruise budget!  😉

If I can see the port, I don't worry about it and have never come back with big bills.  We have T-Mobile and regularly connect to shoreside cell towers while the ship is docked/docking.  I think they turn off the ship's satellite tower at 12 miles out.  If you ever see "Cellular at Sea", switch back to airplane mode right away.

Edited to add:  You will get a text message each time you connect to cell service in Mexico.  So look for that text message before doing much on your phone.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 2

Depending on your phone you can set your phone to ignore Cellular at Sea.  Good signal in every port with TMobile.

In December we only connected to TMobile and got the Welcome to Mexico message only at the first Mexican port.  Then similar message in Costa Rica etc.  We used the internet and texting features in those countries.  Also in port used the WiFi to make outgoing calls to North America.  

33 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

Heading out on the Solstice in a few weeks (Los Angeles, Catalina Island, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego, Los Angeles).  I will NOT be purchasing Celebrity's onboard Wi-Fi.  I have a U.S. T-Mobile plan that also covers me in Mexico. How do I ensure that I don't pick up the ship's Wi-Fi/cellular, while still being able to use my T-Mobile service when I'm in range?  "Being connected" during the week is a much lower priority for me than making sure I don't come home with a big roaming/connection bill that will cut into my future cruise budget!  😉

Go to google, enter your phone model and "how to enable AIRPLANE mode", if that doesn't work try the same on youtube...Different phones may have different ways to enable it and many have multiple ways (buried in settings and a shortcut)

You can (and should) connect to the ship's wifi so you can use the App for FREE.  To be charged the ships wifi you would need to select BASIC or PREMIUM from an internet browser, it's fairly difficult to signup for the PAID wifi by accident

45 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

I've found that if I can see land, I've been covered.  When I turn off airplane mode AND wifi, T-Mo will warn you if the ship is trying to connect.  If you're out on deck, probably won't even occur.  Only ever occurs if I'm in my cabin too close to the door.  If it does, just tap airplane mode again.  I've used T-Mo when traveling on land and ships since 2008.  Only had one problem back in 2008 when my number got hijacked in Bermuda during a stop there while on a TA (T-Mo took care of it).  That was older technology and couldn't happen today.  

• Like 1

While on the ship put your phone in Airplane Mode - you can turn on internet to use the app.

When in port turn off airplane mode and enable Cellular Roaming.    You will get a confirmation e-mail from T-Mobile Mexico showing your costs for making a phone calls and an indication of free wifi roaming.

Once back on ship turn on Airplane mode.   The good thing is if you forget you will get a text from T-Mobile.