Buying art and other locally made items…

panda1215

I have heard that in Portofino things are pretty pricey which leads me to ask - are there recommendations on places to look for local art and other crafts (like leather, ,jewelry, etc.) that are reasonable?  We will be in Rome for 3 days prior to leaving via cruise - visiting stops like Florence, Portofoino, Messina, Taranto, and then 2 days at the end in Venice.  I know art and other crafts are subject to what the buyer likes - but where should we stay away because it is a pricey area and are there recommendations of places to look that have great art and reasonable prices. Would love hearing about where to shop and finds that people have come across.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, panda1215 said:

I have heard that in Portofino things are pretty pricey which leads me to ask - are there recommendations on places to look for local art and other crafts (like leather, ,jewelry, etc.) that are reasonable?  We will be in Rome for 3 days prior to leaving via cruise - visiting stops like Florence, Portofoino, Messina, Taranto, and then 2 days at the end in Venice.  I know art and other crafts are subject to what the buyer likes - but where should we stay away because it is a pricey area and are there recommendations of places to look that have great art and reasonable prices. Would love hearing about where to shop and finds that people have come across.  Thanks in advance.

Italy is a country with a long tradition of artists and artisans as well as craftsmen. It's one of the things I find very pleasant about the country. Lots of family operations, or individual craftsmen that have handed down their craft through generations.

That said, art is also well appreciated and not inexpensive. What kind of thing(s) are you looking to purchase, and how much would you spend? You can find very spendy art and antique shops around via dei Coronari or via del Babuino in Rome, for example, but just because it's spendy doesn't mean it's overpriced....  Even in the shopper's mecca around the Pantheon, there are a couple of shops I've haunted through the years:  a shop that sells antique prints (framed or unframed; easy to fit into a suitcase), and one that sells old books. I can also think of a ceramics store and a wooden toy store in the area. None of them are particularly cheap, but they do have unique items.

Florence is known for leather -- there are leather schools and markets, but you have to beware of cheap leather from other places that is brought in and sold as local work. There are also a lot of old-school artisans working there -- making jewelry, paper, ceramics, etc. Here's one article:  https://girlinflorence.com/2014/07/31/florences-artisan-quarter-up-close-personal/

As for Portofino, I honestly couldn't say. It's such a small place and one that is primarily a resort and packed with tourists. Not sure there is any art that's not either really expensive or completely geared toward cheaper tourist tat. Not that I don't think the place is gorgeous; it just may not be the place to look for "art".  In fact, the best "art" from there may be a beautiful photograph that you take of the harbor and buildings surrounding it from the water or the heights of the castle...

• Like 1

CruiseMom42. - you are correct reasonable is vague - sorry about that.  I never mine paying for what i like as it relates to art and ceramics.  Thanks for the response and the guidance on places to look. Looking for shops like you posted about - places where local artist showcase their works and not really fine art galleries.

13 hours ago, panda1215 said:

and then 2 days at the end in Venice.

Also you'll see in more touristy areas like Murano (glass) and Burano (lace) in Venice-- the art of the hard sell is alive and well. A representative will follow you relentlessly. Just be aware going in and be ready to walk away. 

• Like 2