MONTEREY CALIFORNIA CANCELLED

maggie.1008

I am on the Regatta May11th California Coastal cruise. I have read that Monterey has been cancelled for all cruise ships. We live in California but have not been to Monterey for many years. Does anyone have any information ? Oceania has not let us know of any changes in itinerary.

1 hour ago, maggie.1008 said:

I am on the Regatta May11th California Coastal cruise. I have read that Monterey has been cancelled for all cruise ships. We live in California but have not been to Monterey for many years. Does anyone have any information ? Oceania has not let us know of any changes in itinerary.

Good chance you will be going to Catalina Island (Avalon) instead.

That is too bad to hear that Monterey won't be on any cruise stops,  it's a wonderful place to visit! We live close to Monterey and go often, and we've done a few cruises that stop there. I might say I enjoy the cruise stop better than the day trip from home!! 

I haven't been to Catalina Island (Avalon) since college, when I lived in LA, but it's also a great place to go, different than Monterey, but still lovely. 

Would Santa Barbara maybe be added instead? 

Either way, I'm sure it will be a great cruise. I really enjoy the California Coastal cruises. 

16 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Has nothing to do with Oceania ..Monterey cancelled ALL ships for the whole year of 22 due to Covid

Looks like they extended to 23 for any reason they can come up with..

Jancruz1

When do you think they will they advise us of a change- or will they?

On 2/9/2023 at 5:21 PM, Jancruz said:

Has nothing to do with Oceania ..Monterey cancelled ALL ships for the whole year of 22 due to Covid

Looks like they extended to 23 for any reason they can come up with..

Jancruz1

The City Council voted to remove all support for cruise ship operations going forward.  No city personnel  providing security and receiving passengers tendering in at the pier, pretty much means no cruise ships.  This will probably be permanent or at least until the make up of the city council changes enough that they might change the policy.

Edited by ldtr

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

seems like a lot of ports  are coming up with  reasons to exclude  cruise ships from stopping in some

some limit  the size of ships allowed  etc..

probably more  restrictions to come

JMO

In this case the two primary reasons given by the city council was

1. Concern of some future accident or dumping incident that might impact the bay.  Interesting since the last incident with a cruise ship in the bay was a Crystal ship dumping water in 2002.  Also considering that an accident with the cities sewage treatment facility dumped 4.5 million gallons of raw sewage into the same bay in 2018.

2. They wanted to get rid of the visual of a large cruise ship anchoring near the harbor.

This was unlike cases with cities such as Bar Harbor and Key West where the reason what due to over crowding from multiple cruise ships, especially during peak tourist season (in Bar Harbor).  With there being pretty clear negative impacts upon the town.  In this case there was no discussion of crowding (one 1 ship at a time max and only during off season so no real crowding issue) or any other negative impact. Only the potential for some accident in the future and to not have cruise ships blocking the view.

45 minutes ago, ldtr said:

In this case the two primary reasons given by the city council was

1. Concern of some future accident or dumping incident that might impact the bay.  Interesting since the last incident with a cruise ship in the bay was a Crystal ship dumping water in 2002.  Also considering that an accident with the cities sewage treatment facility dumped 4.5 million gallons of raw sewage into the same bay in 2018.

2. They wanted to get rid of the visual of a large cruise ship anchoring near the harbor.

This was unlike cases with cities such as Bar Harbor and Key West where the reason what due to over crowding from multiple cruise ships, especially during peak tourist season (in Bar Harbor).  With there being pretty clear negative impacts upon the town.  In this case there was no discussion of crowding (one 1 ship at a time max and only during off season so no real crowding issue) or any other negative impact. Only the potential for some accident in the future and to not have cruise ships blocking the view.

Well I guess their reasons worked for council 😉

Although the posted itinerary for the two Pacific Coastals in May still indicate Monterey as a port, I just checked the two September itineraries and Monterey is not listed as a tender port.  One sailing indicates a "sea day" coming down from San Francisco while the other has added Catalina Island. It must be difficult to re-arrange schedules this close to sailings for Oceania. We shall see what they come up with.

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an email from O and Monterrey has been officially cancelled for the May 11th Pacific Coastal. We're getting two extra hours in San Francisco and will have a sea day instead of Monterrey. Interesting that Celebrity will still be able to make the stop though per the previous poster....

Cheers,

Rob

2 hours ago, Kitsalino2 said:

I booked on Feb 18 with Monterey on the May 11th agenda.  I think Oceania could of told us of the Monterey council  vote before we paid.  Should get credit for port fees at least.

Oceania does not break out port fees as a separate cost, as they are included in the cruise fare, whether they increase or decrease.  So they do not refund them.  Other lines  that refund them list them separately 

On 2/10/2023 at 7:33 AM, maggie.1008 said:

Our May 11th cruise is already stopping in Santa Barbara so I am sure it will be Catalina or sea day. 

I live a few minutes from Santa Barbara if you need some places to see..

Jancruz1

On 2/14/2023 at 7:04 AM, Rv6flyer said:

My TA called yesterday about our Celebrity trip n March and was told Celebrity will do the pier security, so looks like a go for us.

I would be shocked if they will let Celebrity stop there..Call the Monterey port and they will tell you if you will be there..they are very nice there..I have spoken to them several times..

Jancruz1

6 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I would be shocked if they will let Celebrity stop there..Call the Monterey port and they will tell you if you will be there..they are very nice there..I have spoken to them several times..

Jancruz1

Especially considering the size of ‘X’ ships, right?🤷‍♂️

• Like 1