One Way Cruise or Roundtrip

KarenS001

Hi, I’ve been planning an alaska summer vacation but I don’t know which to choose. There is the 7 night northbound or southbound or I could do the 10 night round trip from vancouver. They are around the same price. If you have any experience with this please help me? I have never gone to Alaska. They all go to glacier bay.

If you read around the board here, you will see the topic discussed frequently. The advantages of the one way is generally, more glacier and port time. The round trip is generally less. However, the 10 day is a pretty unique cruise...you should compare port and glacier times to the 7 day one way routes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you read around the board here, you will see the topic discussed frequently. The advantages of the one way is generally, more glacier and port time. The round trip is generally less. However, the 10 day is a pretty unique cruise...you should compare port and glacier times to the 7 day one way routes.

It goes to the usual stops plus sitka and icy strait. Are those worth it?

Princess has great 10 day (and 11 day) schedules this year. There is nothing negative about those. I would probably do that unless you want to spend more time touring Alaska once you get to Whittier/Anchorage.

They are both good. You can't go wrong. I would probably do the 10 day to get Sitka and Icy Strait.

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Princess has great 10 day (and 11 day) schedules this year. There is nothing negative about those. I would probably do that unless you want to spend more time touring Alaska once you get to Whittier/Anchorage.

They are both good. You can't go wrong. I would probably do the 10 day to get Sitka and Icy Strait.

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

Yes we are doing that one. I’m super excited.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KarenS001 said:

I have been to Alaska several times and I am doing one also! Today is final payment day for me! These don't happen every year (10-11 day ones) from Vancouver.

Edited by Coral

HAL has plenty of tour / cruises to offer. Don’t do the RT , spend 7 days on the ship and 7 days on land all in the same direction. The RT you don’t get to see Alaska in real life. We did the Northbound in 2010 and looking forward to the Southbound from Fairbanks in May. Enjoy!

On 2/10/2023 at 9:39 PM, KarenS001 said:

Hi,

I'm planning a 2024 Alaskan cruise and beginning to read about options now. I am enquiring about your reference to the 10- and 11-day cruises.  Are these all "roundtrip" cruises? I can't seem to find one that is this length and one way. Thank you, Laurie

48 minutes ago, ljandiernp said:

I am enquiring about your reference to the 10- and 11-day cruises. * * * I can't seem to find one that is this length and one way.

Take a look at the cruises offered by Viking Ocean Cruises. They are one-way and 10 nights in duration.

As others have mentioned this year Princess has some great 10 or 11 day round-trip cruises from Vancouver.  They don't always stop at all these ports and they have great time in Port. They are a bargain but this is the first time I have seen them offered. I am doing one in May, this is my 30+ time to Alaska

• Like 1

If I could do a 1 way I would definitely do that in my opinion! We were in Alaska and did a cruise 16 years ago. We had wanted to do a one-way but couldn't make it work with the family's schedule so we spent a few days on land first. (Loved it!) I don't think the cruise shows you the real Alaska. My husband and I are doing another Alaska cruise in August because I'm sick of going to the Caribbean and figured it's prettier! 

On 2/19/2023 at 11:04 AM, ljandiernp said:

Thank you but they are above my expense limit. Laurie

I wonder how many people sit down and figure out total costs between cruises?  Princess runs around $2000 for a balcony and Viking around $5500.  However, Viking includes:

• One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call
  • Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary)
  • Beer, wine & soft drinks with onboard lunch & dinner
  • 24-hour specialty coffees, teas & bottled water
  • Port taxes & fees
  • Ground transfers with Viking Air purchase
  • Visits to UNESCO Sites
  • Enrichment lectures & Destination Performances
  • Access to The Nordic Spa & state-of-the-art fitness center
  • Self-service launderettes
  • Alternative restaurant dining at no extra charge
  • 24-hour room service

If you add up what you would spend extra for on Princess (shore excursions, alcohol, expressos, transfers, and specialty restaurants) it seems like it would be fairly close to the Viking price.

I sail frequently on Princess but have booked a cruise this summer on Regent at a 2 for 1 price, so I guess I'll see how it works out.

Edited by wolfie11

3 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I wonder how many people sit down and figure out total costs between cruises?  Princess runs around $2000 for a balcony and Viking around $5500.  However, Viking includes:

• One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call
  • Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary)
  • Beer, wine & soft drinks with onboard lunch & dinner
  • 24-hour specialty coffees, teas & bottled water
  • Port taxes & fees
  • Ground transfers with Viking Air purchase
  • Visits to UNESCO Sites
  • Enrichment lectures & Destination Performances
  • Access to The Nordic Spa & state-of-the-art fitness center
  • Self-service launderettes
  • Alternative restaurant dining at no extra charge
  • 24-hour room service

If you add up what you would spend extra for on Princess (shore excursions, alcohol, expressos, transfers, and specialty restaurants) it seems like it would be fairly close to the Viking price.

I sail frequently on Princess but have booked a cruise this summer on Regent at a 2 for 1 price, so I guess I'll see how it works out.

I think the prices are still quite a bit in difference.

I have a minisuite as a single for $1500 for 11 nights with $600 OBC. On Viking you used the $5500 number. On Princess - gratuities, drinks (alcohol, bottled water, mixed drinks, etc..) and WIFI are $660 in their Plus bundle so $2160 on Princess. I get free laundry being Elite (plus there are self service laundry on the ship). Princess does have great speakers onboard in Alaska (not necessarily elsewhere but they are great in Alaska). I am guessing we are visiting the same UNESCO sites. I am staying at Pan Pacific so I don't need a transfer to the ship - just take the elevator down. Besides - I would never fly in the day of the cruise to use that transfer that day. Princess does have room service.

I have heard mixed reviews on Viking's free excursions. I doubt they include the expensive excursions though.

I am not saying Viking is a bad line - I am just saying the price difference is still quite a bit more.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have a minisuite as a single for $1500 for 11 nights with $600 OBC. On Viking you used the $5500 number. On Princess - gratuities, drinks (alcohol, bottled water, mixed drinks, etc..) and WIFI are $660 in their Plus bundle so $2160 on Princess. I get free laundry being Elite (plus there are self service laundry on the ship). Princess does have great speakers onboard in Alaska (not necessarily elsewhere but they are great in Alaska). I am guessing we are visiting the same UNESCO sites. I am staying at Pan Pacific so I don't need a transfer to the ship - just take the elevator down. Besides - I would never fly in the day of the cruise to use that transfer that day. Princess does have room service.

I have heard mixed reviews on Viking's free excursions. I doubt they include the expensive excursions though.

I am not saying Viking is a bad line - I am just saying the price difference is still quite a bit more.

Nice price!  Is that on the Crown?  I'll also be sailing on her this summer.  I don't usually do round trips, but it's a great itinerary even if most of the sailings don't go to GLBA.

9 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Nice price!  Is that on the Crown?  I'll also be sailing on her this summer.  I don't usually do round trips, but it's a great itinerary even if most of the sailings don't go to GLBA.

Yes. Likewise - I like one ways but this was good and the price was right!

16 hours ago, Coral said:

Can't compare prices between Princess (Elite) and Viking (1st cruise) in Alaska, but I can compare the 2015 Princess World Cruise to the 2020 Viking World Cruise.

The base fare on Princess was about 1/2 of Viking's base fare, but at the end of the cruise, the cost per day was identical, with the Viking experience vastly superior. This is applicable to our cruising style and is highly dependent on how many of the extra services you use on Princess. Had we not been Elite on Princess, the additional wi-fi and laundry costs would have resulted in Viking being cheaper.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

The long days are good!