debarking in Rome tour options?

fawnie

Hi!Rome  We will be on the Enchanted Princess and docking in Rome for 1 night .We are staying at the Best Western In Rome ( booked through Princess) We are not thrilled with the tour offerings available through Princess. Does anyone know how we could book another tour for debark day ?We dont know whether just to go to the hotel ( assuming that Princess will get us there in the morning at some point) and see if we can find out anything for that day. Or take one of the 2 tours that Princess is offering probably get us to the hotel  in late afternoon ?? and just see what we can see?? We leave for home the next day so that option is out. Any advice is very appreciated! Also I should say we are NOT seasoned travelers so just "winging it on our own in a foreign city just wouldnt work . Thanks again

If you book a hotel package through Princess they will handle the transportation to/from the hotel and airport.  I have not looked at the tours you speak of...but they are going to be expensive...Princess has to get their cut, you know.  There are so many ways to experience Rome.  Take a look at the offerings from Viator.  They are very good to work with...have used them for years.  Or, if you just want to sit back and "see" Rome consider a Hop on/Hop off bus.  You don't even have to get off the bus if you don't want to and you will see all of the major attractions.

Once, we contracted through Viator for an eBike tour that started very near the Coliseum.   I don't know if you've ever tried an eBike...but ANYBODY can ride these things.  It was a great tour.  An eBike will let you very lightly pedal while remaining seated and go up hills!  Just a suggestion.

• Like 2

Your ship will dock in Civitavecchia, about 1+ hours from Rome.  You could hire private transportation, such as Rome in Limo, to pick you up at the ship, take you on a tour of your choice and then take you to your hotel.  Booking a hotel on your own is much less expensive than using Princess to book it.

Just go their website and you can see what they offer.  We’ve used them in the past and they are a very reputable company and highly recommended.  They can also pick you up at your hotel the next day and take you to the airport.  This is what I would do.  

• Like 3

In  2019, we took Princess post Rome excursion (Debark tour - St Peter’s Basilica & Colosseum) with a drop off at either the train or airport. Picked up our luggage after exiting the ship, walked to the bus.  The guide talked along the way to Rome.  Bus parked near St Peter’ Basilica, guide walked with us then we had time on our own, walked back to the bus, bus drove past other sights.  Some people were dropped off at the train station.  I were dropped off at the airport mid afternoon.  We walked through the airport to the Hilton Rome Airport (attached to the airport with a walkway to the hotel).  Next day, walked back to the airport for our flight in the morning. 

• Like 1

How keen are you on Rome?  If it was me, and I only had a day in one of the greatest cities on earth, I'd be figuring out how to maximize every minute I had.  I definitely would NOT wait around for the ship to bring you to your hotel (wasting a lot of good morning time). In fact, I probably wouldn't book hotel through Princess at all. 

Work with a reputable company like Rome Cabs or Rome in Limo. They can pick you up at the port and take you around on a full day tour of Rome while minding your luggage, then drop you off at your hotel at the end of the day. Yes, it will be pricey, but they can fit into one day what you probably couldn't do in two days on your own without substantial research and planning. 

Most people would want to see the Colosseum and the Vatican (St. Peters + museum). Without the pressure of having to get back to the ship, you could probably enjoy inside tours of each of those, plus perhaps a quick stop at Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon. (Skip the Spanish Steps, they are no big deal.)

One option, if you have an early flight the next day, would be to book a room at one of the airport hotels and have them drop you there at the end of your day. Very easy to get to your flight the next day.

Which Best Western hotel is Princess using? There are several of them in Rome. If the location is good and your flight is not early, you can be dropped at your hotel and could then enjoy dinner in Rome proper and your transfer to the airport next day would presumably be managed by Princess. It's not an option I'd pick (you will be charged a premium) but if it makes you feel more comfortable...

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help! '-)  We are staying in the Hotel Royal Santina in Rome Termini. The website says they are " near the Colosseum, the imperial forum and the Basilica of M. Maria Maggiori. We wouldnt mind walking some..dont think I am coordinated enough for an ebike.( but thanks for the suggestion) Thanks for the tip about the spanish steps.. I was not sure about those, but would really like to see the Trevi fountain. So when Princess takes you to your hotel ( booked through them) you dont get there until later in the Day?

4 hours ago, phabric said:

In  2019, we took Princess post Rome excursion (Debark tour - St Peter’s Basilica & Colosseum) with a drop off at either the train or airport. Picked up our luggage after exiting the ship, walked to the bus.  The guide talked along the way to Rome.  Bus parked near St Peter’ Basilica, guide walked with us then we had time on our own, walked back to the bus, bus drove past other sights.  Some people were dropped off at the train station.  I were dropped off at the airport mid afternoon.  We walked through the airport to the Hilton Rome Airport (attached to the airport with a walkway to the hotel).  Next day, walked back to the airport for our flight in the morning. 

Thank you , did you enough that tour? It doesnt seem like you will be able to see that much?We do like that everything will be taken care of through them... but wanted to see more on our one day in Rome

7 minutes ago, fawnie said:

Thank you , did you enough that tour? It doesnt seem like you will be able to see that much?We do like that everything will be taken care of through them... but wanted to see more on our one day in Rome

We enjoyed our tour with Princess, some walking, some drive by with plenty of time at St Peter’s Basilica.  I picked this excursion as we were able to see some of Rome before being dropped off at the airport.  I especially picked the Hilton Rome Airport as it is attached to the airport so saved on time and money the next day to get to the airport for our flight.

This November, we are staying again before and after our cruise at the Hilton Rome Airport.  I have booked Rome Cabs both ways.  We are sharing the cost with others from our Roll Call.

Rome Cabs have Rome tours.

The Hilton Rome Airport, advertised pre Covid they had a shuttle into Rome.  We will see how tired we are post cruise if we take it.

Check your Roll Call maybe someone is doing a tour.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fawnie said:

Thanks for all your help! '-)  We are staying in the Hotel Royal Santina in Rome Termini. The website says they are " near the Colosseum, the imperial forum and the Basilica of M. Maria Maggiori. We wouldnt mind walking some..dont think I am coordinated enough for an ebike.( but thanks for the suggestion) Thanks for the tip about the spanish steps.. I was not sure about those, but would really like to see the Trevi fountain. So when Princess takes you to your hotel ( booked through them) you dont get there until later in the Day?

What does the description of the tour/overnight/transfer say?  That would help clarify...  I just wouldn't count on them getting you off "early" -- they are going to be focused on getting off those passengers with early day-of flights off first.

Your hotel location is on what I consider the "far" (east) side of Termini, not really the most central and not the most inviting area for dinner/strolling in the evening. All Rome hotels seem to do this, but saying they are "near" the Colosseum is a little stretch -- it's actually about a 30 minute walk. It would be about the same (perhaps a few minutes less) to get to Trevi Fountain. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What does the description of the tour/overnight/transfer say?  That would help clarify...  I just wouldn't count on them getting you off "early" -- they are going to be focused on getting off those passengers with early day-of flights off first.

Your hotel location is on what I consider the "far" (east) side of Termini, not really the most central and not the most inviting area for dinner/strolling in the evening. All Rome hotels seem to do this, but saying they are "near" the Colosseum is a little stretch -- it's actually about a 30 minute walk. It would be about the same (perhaps a few minutes less) to get to Trevi Fountain. 

I’ve also found that most Rome hotels advertise that they are “near” everything you want to see, but in reality it’s a very long walk.  Of course, the hotels that really are close to the attractions are more expensive.  You’re so right, this is not the most desirable location to spend only one night.  Personally, I would never book a hotel through the cruiseline.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well I certainly wished I had asked these questions sooner! We just thought it would be easier for us to book everything through Princess. I guess we will have to do more research to figure out what we want to see exactly and how best to do it. Right now it seems like letting Princess handle things was not the right choice. But what done is done I guess.... final payment has been made.Guess if we do another tour that picks us up at the port we will be paying double for that .Rome in Limo looks amazing but pricey. I will check on the rome taxi service  Once again , Thank you so much for all your help ! 

14 minutes ago, fawnie said:

Well I certainly wished I had asked these questions sooner! We just thought it would be easier for us to book everything through Princess. I guess we will have to do more research to figure out what we want to see exactly and how best to do it. Right now it seems like letting Princess handle things was not the right choice. But what done is done I guess.... final payment has been made.Guess if we do another tour that picks us up at the port we will be paying double for that .Rome in Limo looks amazing but pricey. I will check on the rome taxi service  Once again , Thank you so much for all your help ! 

If I’m not mistaken, you could still cancel and be refunded the hotel and transfers portion without penalty, but I could be wrong.  If you can cancel, then you still have time to book a hotel and transportation from the ship to your hotel and then to the airport the next morning.  What you have booked is quite limited in what you will be able to explore in Rome and it would be a shame to miss it.  

Whatever you choose to do, make the most of your time in Rome.  Such a vibrant and romantic city.  And very busy……please be careful crossing roads because in Italy a red light is merely a suggestion lol!

Enjoy your cruise…..great itinerary!

• Like 1

I understand that many people are nervous about sightseeing a large city in a foreign country, but you could make this an affordable day DIY.  Borrow a Rome guidebook from your library, make a list of sights you want to see, then group sights together that are in close proximity, and use taxis to get from one group to the next.  

We started at the Vatican, then walked to Castel S Angelo and Piazza Navona, then took cabs a couple of times to visit several other sites. A few $15-$20 cab rides can get you around nicely. Buses would be cheaper but we couldn't be bothered trying to figure it out. 

And keep in mind that most people you will come in contact with will speak English and are used to answering questions from tourists.

• Like 1

You all have encouraged me so much 😉  Thank you ! a guide book  is a great idea! We are very intimidated about sightseeing on  our own ... but your remarks made it seem a little more possible. And as Lady Arwen has said we are only there for 1 full day. We hate to miss anything ,but know that this trip is very very limited. We are very excited for the trip , counting down the days 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 4:29 PM, phabric said:

We are looking at that tour for a September cruise. Our flight is at 4:45pm but the description of the tour says for flights 5pm and after, I don't know if it's worth the risk! I would just get a transfer straight to the airport as we have visited Rome previously and also have a few nights there before a cruise in June but it would make for a long day in the airport. I might look at some of the private options but as there's only 2 of us it might be too expensive.

46 minutes ago, Cruise-mom said:

We are looking at that tour for a September cruise. Our flight is at 4:45pm but the description of the tour says for flights 5pm and after, I don't know if it's worth the risk! I would just get a transfer straight to the airport as we have visited Rome previously and also have a few nights there before a cruise in June but it would make for a long day in the airport. I might look at some of the private options but as there's only 2 of us it might be too expensive.

You can try Rome Cabs and see about a transfer with a small tour before airport

• Like 1