Photo review: Santa Cruz II Galapagos Western/Northern Route 1/26/2023

steamboats

The first part of my review is online and there are many more to follow. But it will take some time to sort all those more than 3 K photos. The first part is covering the ship itself with a deck by deck review. Sorry, but the text is in German, anyway Google translate (or anything similar) should work pretty well. And there are tons of photos as well.

Enjoy!

steamboats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Host Jazzbeau - My understanding is that Hurtigruten has a 25% ownership of Metropolitan and has a lease on the Santa Cruz II ship.  When I was looking at the cruise the main thing I noted was that Hurtigruten costs more than Metropolitan but is all inclusive with the only add on being for drinks (alcohol or soft drinks) ordered from the bar.  Drinks are included with meals.

Metropolitan was less expensive but charged for some items such as wet suit rentals and WiFi.  Not sure about any other items.  Don't know how this would work on the ship since Hurtigruten is the one actually doing the cruise, even though Metropolitan employees coordinate with Hurtigruten.

Metropolitan shore employees also work with Hurtigruten on any land portion of the cruise such as meeting travelers at the airport; the included tour in or around Quito; getting the travelers to the airport; showing them where to go at the airport; and meeting them at the airport on the return flights through Quito.  There is smooth coordination between the two.  Only way you might know they are Metropolitan employees is if you see a Metropolitan polo type shirts under the Hurtigruten windbreaker.

I am sure there are some nuances to this relationship I am not aware of.  But from what I saw on my cruise on the Santa Cruz II there is a very good relationship between the two and most people might not even notice they are not one in the same because they operate that way.

Stan

• Thanks 1

@Host Jazzbeau yes, Hurtigruten Expeditions owns 24.9 % of Metropolitan Touring. The Santa Cruz II is completely branded for Hurtigruten Expeditions although it´s of course operated by Metropolitan Touring. It´s a total of 3 itineraries (Western, Northern, Southern Galapagos) which can be combined to a total of 14 nights. The pre/post programs can also added very flexibel. Onboard there are no extra costs except for the shop and drinks which are not part of lunch or dinner. The excursions onboard and our pre cruise program in Quito were really led excellent. We did not expect a German guide but were welcomed at the airport in Quito in German. This went on til we went through security in Guayaquil. The guide there even stayed in line at the check-in counter with us. At the airport in Baltra and Guayaquil we had lounge access. All signs were Hurtigruten (and maybe a small Metropolitan Touring). It´s just that they have a different web app for the ship.

BTW, more entries are online and I´m working on the last three ones. The first of those three will go online tomorrow.

steamboats

• 1 year later...

This is an amazing review - Thank you for sharing! I have clients that want to book this same cruise and your review will be so helpful for them. 

• Like 1