Which is Better on the Eurodam V or VA class?

vintageyz

Hello!  I booked a Panama Cruise on the Holland Eurodam.  The package came with an offer of an upgrade from a Verandah "VE" to a Verandah "VA." I just received a cabin assignment and it is a "V" on the 5th deck.  Which class is better? Have I been shufflled to a lower class cabin?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vintageyz said:

Hello!  I booked a Panama Cruise on the Holland Eurodam.  The package came with an offer of an upgrade from a Verandah "VE" to a Verandah "VA." I just received a cabin assignment and it is a "V" on the 5th deck.  Which class is better? Have I been shufflled to a lower class cabin?

I

1 hour ago, vintageyz said:

If you look at the deck plan for the Eurodam, you will see that the V category cabins are located in mid-ship and are considered the best located of balcony cabins.   Whether it is worth the upgrade price for your cruise (is it the 10-day Sunfarer cruise?) is your decision.  What is the difference in price?  For ten days, we usually don't feel that it is worth additional cost.  We are taking this cruise on the March 25th sailing, as a balcony guarantee.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply.  The cabin is literally "V" class.  Not VE or VA.  It is mid ship, but right above the tenders.  The cruise is the Sunfarer.  We had already paid for an upgrade, with the provider guaranteeing a minimum of a VE balcony and the option to purchase an upgrade to VA.  We appear to have gotten neither of those cabin types. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vintageyz said:

We appear to have gotten neither of those cabin types.

V is a further upgrade from VA.

That is HAL's opinion and really the only opinion that matters, so you received your upgrade and more.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

V is a further upgrade from VA.

That is HAL's opinion and really the only opinion that matters, so you received your upgrade and more.

The V being a more desirable cabin than a VA (or even VB) is definitely simply HAL's opinion.  Although the Deck 5 V-category cabins are nicely located mid-ship and only a couple decks above most activities, their balconies are about 12"-18" shallower than those on most other non-suite balcony cabins.  I assume that's to give more clearance from the lifeboats.  Many of the Deck 5 V cabins are also adjoining cabins with a door between.  If someone is looking for adjoining cabins, great.  If not, more noise can travel through the door than if it was a solid wall.

The Deck 8 VA category cabins mid-ship have a larger balcony but it has a large overhang above from the wider lido deck.  So it all comes down to what your preferences are.

If you are looking for a large balcony, the Deck 4 forward and aft VB and VC category cabins have much deeper balconies although about 2 feet of depth are open to above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

What are the verandas like in the VA's, Deck 6?  We are in 6078.

Looking at a Eurodam deck plan, I'm not seeing any VAs on Deck 6.  There are 8 on Deck 4 (four of them being accessible cabins) then the only other ones I see are all mid-ship on Deck 8.  Around 90 of them, all below the Lido Pool and Lido Buffet areas.

• Like 1

I would argue VA category Deck six middle balconies on Pinnacle class (Kon, NS, and Rot) are the best balcony staterooms on the ship.  Minimal movement, staterooms above and below, and high enough above lifeboats to minimize sightline issues to water.  

Deck 5 V has more lifeboat blocking views than 6.

The few V category cabins on deck 6 may have a slightly bigger balcony (often a wedge) but may be on facing ends of the bump and increase wind.  

Edited by CNSJ
  • Like 1

Thank you, that's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. 

We picked a stateroom that did not have that empty space across from the room.  Never know if your stateroom will be opposite a door going into a storage room, crew mechanics, or crew stairwell.  That happened to us on the Eurodam where we have a lovely Signature Suite with a crew cleaning area directly across from us. We could hear everything! 

We also picked our stateroom in an area across from the back of an Inside staterooms.  Those stateroom doors open up into the hallway on the opposite side of the ship.  So we will not have the banging door across from us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you, that's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. 

We picked a stateroom that did not have that empty space across from the room.  Never know if your stateroom will be opposite a door going into a storage room, crew mechanics, or crew stairwell.  That happened to us on the Eurodam where we have a lovely Signature Suite with a crew cleaning area directly across from us. We could hear everything! 

We also picked our stateroom in an area across from the back of an Inside staterooms.  Those stateroom doors open up into the hallway on the opposite side of the ship.  So we will not have the banging door across from us. 

Choose your cabin, choose how much you enjoy the trip!  I am not enough of a gambler to book gurantees!