New houskeeping and tipping

resetjet

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

This is not the same thing in the remotest level. When I walk in the door of a restaurant, I am not greeted with a bill for $45 when my family shows up. On top of that, when given a receipt for the meal, there is still a TIP line on it. 

Carnival and the cruise industry have this so FUBAR'd it is unbelievable. Either charge the daily tip rate in the service fees and 18% on Cheers  with no tip line on any receipt ****OR**** Do not charge any daily fees and let me pay the tips as I please. The tipping jar needs to end. If you don't want to hear about it, end it. It is as simple as that. Add it to the cruise fare and be done with it. Tell the customers that there is no tipping permitted at all onboard. Crew members are to refuse all tips.

Tipping has been an inherent part of cruising since day 1. It is the customer that has FUBAR'd it. If all carried their weight, this would be a non-topic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

My cabin attendants have had  assistants on all my cruises since startup including last week.

On my last cruise in September on the Sunshine, my steward specifically mentioned he did not have an assistant. I don't know if that was something Carnival was trialing, or if his assistant was out sick or whatever.

• Like 1

I'm a bit tired of folks accusing others of punishing crew by adjusting tips. Somehow they seem to think the customer is the employer of the crew. It is not the job of the passenger to compensate the crew. That is the job of their employer. If the crew is being underpaid that is solely the fault of the employer. If it makes you feel worthwhile for once in your life to take on the task of ensuring adequate pay for crew, without the benefit of knowing their pay structure or amounts, then that is your problem Don't expect normal people to just blindly throw money at a situation when they don't have access to the facts of the situation.

If, as has been stated, stateroom attendants are now providing half the service to twice the cabins then, if they were still receiving the same amount per room they would be getting twice the "gratuities" they previously received for the same amount of work. That would not appear to be justification for increasing the gratuities. If they are not receiving the same amount per cabin then that is on the employer and part of the unknown to us process of compensating the employees.

From the passenger point of view, all that is known is that service has gone down but the suggested gratuity has gone up. Anyone who resists that is not punishing anyone.

History says certain people will now say how cheap I am. The simple fact is we prepay gratuities and we don't care about the gratuities. We just pay them as part of the cost of the cruise. As far as we are concerned they are not gratuities, just part of the bill they have split off as a separate item so they can advertise lower cruise rates. If we come to dislike the total cost including suggested gratuities then we just won't buy.

But the guilt trip guys should be recognized as trying to feel superior by putting others down.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

So, by that theory, those who trash their staterooms, create twice as much work should tip more? My guess they tip less.  Reading "guilt" into statements is transference and deflection.   

No, reading "guilt trip" into statements calling people who do not behave as one wishes "cheap" is simply the ability to read the English language.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1