New houskeeping and tipping

resetjet

Just off a cruise.  They are now cleaning once a day.  So our guy has 35 cabins. They clean in am sometimes and pm others depending how it works out. I think the reasoning is that you can clean twice the rooms only once.  Its not the same amount of work, as one cleaning is a heavy cleaning and that is more like 1.5 cleanings worth of work.  So they are being worked to death.  They only have an assistant for two hours a day.  What they did not think through is the gratuity.  Our 8 day cruise was $35 each or $70 for two was set aside for our attendant.  I believe they are not getting more money. Because if the got $70 per room that would be $70 x 35 = $2450 and that assumes 2 per room.  With the extra people pushing $3000 a week.  Now there is no way in hell they get that.  We therefore took the $70 off the bill and gave him the &70 on cash plus our normal extra.  He was very happy.  I urge everyone to do the same.  We had ATD with different waiters so it was impossible to do the same for them.

• Like 5

That's exactly how I do it as well. Some on here say the crew must surrender cash tips so they are pooled anyway, I guess that might be true. But that's not something I can control. I do mention my displeasure with the eroding standard of service from the company (not the crew) in my comment cards.

• Like 4

I think the room stewards have to be some of the hardest working individuals on the ship. It’s disappointing what the room cleaning has become. I miss turndown service or a choice in the timing of my cleaning (night vs day).

Of all the talks about cutbacks etc, this is where we noticed it the most. Having not cruised since 2015, we really noticed a huge difference in the service. And I honestly don’t think it’s just a steward being ‘not good’ it’s them being overworked. 35 rooms is too many. That’s just absurd. 
We had a suite for the first time on this cruise and we really noticed the difference in the service. We really thought our service would be excellent but it just wasn’t. It was ok at best. We never were even given an option of day vs night service. 

• Like 7

Just now, kelkel2 said:

I think the room stewards have to be some of the hardest working individuals on the ship. It’s disappointing what the room cleaning has become. I miss turndown service or a choice in the timing of my cleaning (night vs day).

Of all the talks about cutbacks etc, this is where we noticed it the most. Having not cruised since 2015, we really noticed a huge difference in the service. And I honestly don’t think it’s just a steward being ‘not good’ it’s them being overworked. 35 rooms is too many. That’s just absurd. 
We had a suite for the first time on this cruise and we really noticed the difference in the service. We really thought our service would be excellent but it just wasn’t. It was ok at best. We never were even given an option of day vs night service. 

Yes since the restart, most of my stewards have told me when they clean the rooms (morning or night), they do not give me an option to pick and twice daily on Carnival is flat-out not an option anymore. I'm sure if I voiced an opinion they'd offer one or the other, but it doesn't really matter to my wife and I anyway. All the special touches of Carnival in the past are gone.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Yes since the restart, most of my stewards have told me when they clean the rooms (morning or night), they do not give me an option to pick and twice daily on Carnival is flat-out not an option anymore. I'm sure if I voiced an opinion they'd offer one or the other, but it doesn't really matter to my wife and I anyway. All the special touches of Carnival in the past are gone.

Yes we were told too. It’s morning cleaning. Which we probably would have chosen regardless. But it was just too bad. I remember days past of turndown, chocolates etc and those days are long gone. But I really miss them being around and getting to know them better too. We never even saw ours after the first day. Not that we need to see him, it was just noticeable that we didn’t see him and it’s clearly because they’re overworked and probably overwhelmed too. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

Just off a cruise.  They are now cleaning once a day.  So our guy has 35 cabins. They clean in am sometimes and pm others depending how it works out. I think the reasoning is that you can clean twice the rooms only once.  Its not the same amount of work, as one cleaning is a heavy cleaning and that is more like 1.5 cleanings worth of work.  So they are being worked to death.  They only have an assistant for two hours a day.  What they did not think through is the gratuity.  Our 8 day cruise was $35 each or $70 for two was set aside for our attendant.  I believe they are not getting more money. Because if the got $70 per room that would be $70 x 35 = $2450 and that assumes 2 per room.  With the extra people pushing $3000 a week.  Now there is no way in hell they get that.  We therefore took the $70 off the bill and gave him the &70 on cash plus our normal extra.  He was very happy.  I urge everyone to do the same.  We had ATD with different waiters so it was impossible to do the same for them.

If everyone did this, the assistants would get no gratuities. they make far less than the attendant .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bigdog1958 said:

If everyone did this, the assistants would get no gratuities. they make far less than the attendant .

Well it would be up to the steward to tip out the assistant.  Whatever it is,  its better then whatever the are being paid.  Its not gratuity anymore.  There is no way in hell carnival is paying these stewards $3000 a week. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

When you remove the auto grats and cash tips are given to crew, they must turned it in.  They will then get their allocation from the auto grats.  Those 35 cabins may have solos, kids, others who remove tips, slobs, demanding guests, etc, etc,  That $3.50 per person is less than I tip at land resorts.  

• Like 4

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

When you remove the auto grats and cash tips are given to crew, they must turned it in.  They will then get their allocation from the auto grats.  Those 35 cabins may have solos, kids, others who remove tips, slobs, demanding guests, etc, etc,  That $3.50 per person is less than I tip at land resorts.  

Do they also have to turn the cash tips in if we leave our auto tips on and choose to tip extra? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, resetjet said:

Our 8 day cruise was $35 each or $70 for two was set aside for our attendant.

Where did this number come from?  Besides, the only breakdown I've seen for Carnival DSC has been that a certain percentage goes to the "housekeeping team".  This team likely is not limited to your cabin steward, or even the assistant.  There are "hotel utilities" that do general clean up and errands around the ship, and the laundry crew as well.  The DSC pool on virtually every line has expanded beyond the guest facing crew.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Where did this number come from?  Besides, the only breakdown I've seen for Carnival DSC has been that a certain percentage goes to the "housekeeping team".  This team likely is not limited to your cabin steward, or even the assistant.  There are "hotel utilities" that do general clean up and errands around the ship, and the laundry crew as well.  The DSC pool on virtually every line has expanded beyond the guest facing crew.

And because of this, in my most humble opinion, it's wrong to take gratuities off your S&S account.  If you want to tip your cabin steward extra go for it (I often do), but don't deny the others on the team who you never see.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

How much do you tip your Housekeeper at a hotel? Most do more than 35 rooms a day. 🤷🏾‍♀️ Yall really on here thinking the staff of these cruise lines are being paid and treated like its a sweatshop. It's not that serious to be trying to calculate down to the penny how much they are paid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

How much do you tip your Housekeeper at a hotel? Most do more than 35 rooms a day. 🤷🏾‍♀️ Yall really on here thinking the staff of these cruise lines are being paid and treated like its a sweatshop. It's not that serious to be trying to calculate down to the penny how much they are paid.

USA hotel housekeeping staff do not work 7 days a week for 4 months at a time.  Comparing apples and oranges.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, resetjet said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rcrabb1513 said:

USA hotel housekeeping staff do not work 7 days a week for 4 months at a time.  Comparing apples and oranges.

Neither does the housekeeping on the cruiseline. Their time off is different but they do get time off. Also I know several people who DO work 7 days a week in hotels. Same staffing issues on sea as on land. 

• Like 3

I don't like the idea of taking off gratuities for any reason.

You want to give the steward additional, as I do, please do so, but to take it upon yourself to decide who gets what by what percentage is just wrong. You have no idea of the behind the scenes assistants who help you one you actually see.

Have a problem, go to GS and ask to speak to the Hotel Manager. Don't like how they do it, go to the Hotel Manager.

Whole idea of holding tips hostage or whatever rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

$5 a night...and I never understood the obsession about crew wages.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Think of this logic...

You go to Disney World, go all through the park, but you decide that the only person who deserves to be paid is that one girl who buckled your seat belt on Space Mountain for you.

She deserves it because she was hands on with you.

Never mind all the people who run the ride, secures your safety, it's cleanliness and assists that young lady who helped you.

But only she is to be paid.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

Neither does the housekeeping on the cruiseline. Their time off is different but they do get time off. Also I know several people who DO work 7 days a week in hotels. Same staffing issues on sea as on land. 

Uh, the housekeeping staff on a cruise ship do work 7 days a week for up to 10 months.  They also work a 12-14 hour/day shift.  Do the hotel workers you know work these many hours?  And, the DSC makes up, by contract, the majority of the salary of these crew members.  If you don't tip the land hotel workers, they still make their wage/salary.  Crew members don't.

The reason there are the same staffing issues on land as on a ship, is because it is a menial task that most US citizens won't do, for pay they can't live on.  The difference is that the crew pay, in their home country, is adequate, but that the living and working conditions are more restrictive.  How many of your land hotel workers are forced to share a tiny room with a complete stranger, and are subject to random alcohol and drug testing?

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

That portion is set aside for the 'housekeeping team', not just the steward.  He may be the one you see but there is an entire team working to support him so he can do that job.

If he has any integrity about him he will turn in the portion of that tip which would routinely go to support the rest of his team.  In the end either nothing is accomplished or at worst the others who worked all week handling their part in your overall experience didn't get paid.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, ray98 said:

That portion is set aside for the 'housekeeping team', not just the steward.  He may be the one you see but there is an entire team working to support him so he can do that job.

Similar when guests take a shine to a particular member of the dining team which usually isn't the assistant who is throwing elbows in the galley to get their dinners or facing a hot under the chef's hat cook as they return a  steak that was ordered "well done" for being "too tough".  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Uh, the housekeeping staff on a cruise ship do work 7 days a week for up to 10 months.  They also work a 12-14 hour/day shift.  Do the hotel workers you know work these many hours?  And, the DSC makes up, by contract, the majority of the salary of these crew members.  If you don't tip the land hotel workers, they still make their wage/salary.  Crew members don't.

The reason there are the same staffing issues on land as on a ship, is because it is a menial task that most US citizens won't do, for pay they can't live on.  The difference is that the crew pay, in their home country, is adequate, but that the living and working conditions are more restrictive.  How many of your land hotel workers are forced to share a tiny room with a complete stranger, and are subject to random alcohol and drug testing?

I never said they didn't work 7 days a week. I said their time off is different and they DO get time off. They don't work 24/7. You can't compare living on a cruisehip staff to those who go home to their house in that way and I never did but the amount of work that has to be done is the same. I used to do housekeeping when I was 17 so yes I very much know how much work they do and being that I live in New Orleans, pretty much everyone in my either family has worked in the hotel industry at some point. If it's on land or not, the job is hard . This entire conversation is ridiculous and unnecessary. The OP is wrong, very wrong in their calculations and is spending incorrect information about the staff. That is my entire point.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One thing I have noticed about the cabins is that they are not as clean as they used to be. 

On the Mardi Gras a few months ago, our shower had a pinkish colored ring around the bottom where the sides and drip pan meet.  
Also, there were remnants of facial hair on the white shelving under the sink.  Also had toddler handprints from sunscreen on the brown wooden walls and fronts of the drawers.   The MG has not been in service but a few years and it’s starting to look shabby.  

The time prior, the bathroom floor drain had urine on it from the prior guest.  “Oh, he’s going to clean that up tomorrow” I thought.  Nope.  I had to write a note as I just couldn’t let it slide.  This was a suite.  

I believe the cabins are dirtier now due to the once per day cleaning, quick turnaround time, and lack of workers.   They don’t seem to have anyone checking their work.  Deep cleaning is needed or sometimes twice per day.  

• Like 7