Alaska Cruise Companion Book

CrzN4Info

To prepare for my July Alaska cruise I purchased a used copy of "The Alaska Cruise Companion" by Rachel Cartwright.  I had heard that thy possibly sell them once you get on board but that you couldn't purchase them ahead of time.  Can someone verify if this is true?  Will I be able to purchase a more updated book/map once on board?  Thank you.

There are some older threads here on CC that say you can purchase (even pre-order) the book through Cruise Personalizer...but that was pre-pandemic.  No idea if they are still offering it in this manner...but you should be able to see it for yourself if still true.

I just looked to see if pre-ordering of the book was an option and it doesn't look like it --- I saw nothing about the book in the gifts section for my July 2023 cruise.

We purchased our book two years ago once we got on the ship.  Inside the book it shows 2018 as the date for printing.  I don't know if your book is older than mine or not. 

I purchased a copy of this book recently on the Majestic Princess, also in readiness for our first Alaskan cruise in September. There were two of them amongst the sale items in the gift shop, both with a print date of 2018. I think it cost $6.50 on sale, and was well worth it! A fabulous guide to Alaska which we’ll definitely be carrying with us.

2 hours ago, CrzN4Info said:

To prepare for my July Alaska cruise I purchased a used copy of "The Alaska Cruise Companion" by Rachel Cartwright.  I had heard that thy possibly sell them once you get on board but that you couldn't purchase them ahead of time.  Can someone verify if this is true?  Will I be able to purchase a more updated book/map once on board?  Thank you.

I believe this is the same book you can purchase on Amazon

Rachel Cartwright wrote "The Alaska Cruise Companion: A Naturalist's Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage".  Joe Upton wrote The Alaska Cruise Companion: a Mile By Mile Guide OR The Alaska Cruise Companion, complete book and map set.  Both come with a map when new.  Be careful buying used as most do not include the map. Learned that by experience, sadly.

The book I have on Alaska is titled:

The Alaska Cruise Companion – a Mile by Mile guide

Complete Book and Map Set

Author – Joe Upton

2008 Edition – 287 pages

I bought the 2008 edition from the Princess gift shop several years ago.

A 2012 edition is available on Amazon if Cruise Critic members are interested at a vey nominal price.

The author has spent over 20+ years exploring Alaska and the Northwest coast, catching fish, making maps, taking photos, and collecting his award-winning stories.  The book “The Alaska Cruise Companion” was originally published in 1997 for Princess Cruises (only) and then later came The Alaska Cruise Handbook, available in bookstores and aboard most Alaska cruise ships.  I believe these are very similar books.  Just the title changed.  The “Companion” book covers routes, Alaska cruise ports, walks around the ports, shore excursions, and much more. But the enduring quality of Joe’s book is (in addition to being a fully informational Alaska cruise guide) that it’s filled with Upton’s wonderful Alaska stories.

Side note:  I understand Upton has a new paperback edition for approximately $32.00.  I believe the map insert is still included.  The book was published in June of 2012.  Joe Upton worked with film maker Dan Kowalski to produce over 20 videos highlighting places along your cruise route, sharing his deep knowledge of the land.  I have not viewed the videos.  If interested in the latest book checkout Amazon.

The “Alaska Cruise Companion” is an excellent book in my humble opinion.  I must admit I did blow past some sections that were not on our last trip!  But it’s a very good read since it reminded me of things I needed to follow-up on for our 2023 Alaskan trip.  Love, love the maps!  Very detailed.

When we stated to plan our 3rd Alaskan cruise/tour for 2023 I remembered that I had the book and dug it out for research and/or references.  It's fascinating!  Full of tidbits of information, beautiful pictures of wildlife and scenery coupled with lots of history of the cities and locations the cruise visits.  I sure wish I had the book for our 1st Alaskan cruise many years ago.

John 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Italy52 said:

I just looked to see if pre-ordering of the book was an option and it doesn't look like it --- I saw nothing about the book in the gifts section for my July 2023 cruise.

We purchased our book two years ago once we got on the ship.  Inside the book it shows 2018 as the date for printing.  I don't know if your book is older than mine or not. 

The one I got on Amazon is from 2012.  Buying them used you never know the year you will get.  I hope they have an updated copy on board.

16 hours ago, COTINGEY said:

Rachel Cartwright wrote "The Alaska Cruise Companion: A Naturalist's Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage".  Joe Upton wrote The Alaska Cruise Companion: a Mile By Mile Guide OR The Alaska Cruise Companion, complete book and map set.  Both come with a map when new.  Be careful buying used as most do not include the map. Learned that by experience, sadly.

I learned the same thing too.  I got a 2012 version, no map.  I have still learned a lot but hoping they have a more updated copy when we get on board.

1 hour ago, John99 said:

The book I have on Alaska is titled:

The Alaska Cruise Companion – a Mile by Mile guide

Complete Book and Map Set

Author – Joe Upton

2008 Edition – 287 pages

I bought the 2008 edition from the Princess gift shop several years ago.

A 2012 edition is available on Amazon if Cruise Critic members are interested at a vey nominal price.

The author has spent over 20+ years exploring Alaska and the Northwest coast, catching fish, making maps, taking photos, and collecting his award-winning stories.  The book “The Alaska Cruise Companion” was originally published in 1997 for Princess Cruises (only) and then later came The Alaska Cruise Handbook, available in bookstores and aboard most Alaska cruise ships.  I believe these are very similar books.  Just the title changed.  The “Companion” book covers routes, Alaska cruise ports, walks around the ports, shore excursions, and much more. But the enduring quality of Joe’s book is (in addition to being a fully informational Alaska cruise guide) that it’s filled with Upton’s wonderful Alaska stories.

Side note:  I understand Upton has a new paperback edition for approximately $32.00.  I believe the map insert is still included.  The book was published in June of 2012.  Joe Upton worked with film maker Dan Kowalski to produce over 20 videos highlighting places along your cruise route, sharing his deep knowledge of the land.  I have not viewed the videos.  If interested in the latest book checkout Amazon.

The “Alaska Cruise Companion” is an excellent book in my humble opinion.  I must admit I did blow past some sections that were not on our last trip!  But it’s a very good read since it reminded me of things I needed to follow-up on for our 2023 Alaskan trip.  Love, love the maps!  Very detailed.

When we stated to plan our 3rd Alaskan cruise/tour for 2023 I remembered that I had the book and dug it out for research and/or references.  It's fascinating!  Full of tidbits of information, beautiful pictures of wildlife and scenery coupled with lots of history of the cities and locations the cruise visits.  I sure wish I had the book for our 1st Alaskan cruise many years ago.

John 

This is great, thank you.  On Amazon I can order Joe Upton's version on Kindle for $9.99. 🙂
Amazon.com: The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-By-Mile Guide eBook : Upton, Joe: Kindle Store

I purchased my copy of Joe Upton's Alaska Cruise Handbook on an Alaska cruise in 2011, so what I have is probably a bit out of date, but I suspect that most of it is still valid.  It is a beautiful book and well written, even if it can get a bit dated on some topics.

7 minutes ago, COTINGEY said:

Why?  Just curious.

It is more updated with more color pictures, etc.... More visually appealing.

I don't think the Joe Upton book has been updated in years. Princess contracted with both authors to write the book that they would sell on the ship. Both authors have been on Princess promoting their books - I believe Rachel used to be a Naturalist with Princess. Princess ended their contract with Joe Upton years ago and I don't think he ever independently updated his book. Rachel's is more modern looking and more up to date as she has had the contract for quite awhile now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

It is more updated with more color pictures, etc.... More visually appealing.

I don't think the Joe Upton book has been updated in years. Princess contracted with both authors to write the book that they would sell on the ship. Both authors have been on Princess promoting their books - I believe Rachel used to be a Naturalist with Princess. Princess ended their contract with Joe Upton years ago and I don't think he ever independently updated his book. Rachel's is more modern looking and more up to date as she has had the contract for quite awhile now.

Thank you....For Rachel's book the publication is 2012. Is there one that is more recent which I can't find?  My Upton book is OLD, so I'd like something fresher.

55 minutes ago, COTINGEY said:

Thank you....For Rachel's book the publication is 2012. Is there one that is more recent which I can't find?  My Upton book is OLD, so I'd like something fresher.

I don't know. I guess we will find out on our Princess sailings soon 🙂 

On 2/19/2023 at 3:47 PM, COTINGEY said:

Thank you and others in this forum.  I just purchased both book from a book re-seller and looked at both.  Both will help me understand the upcoming Cruisetour.   

I have a pristine copy of the 2012 edition of the Rachel Cartwright book, complete with map.  Purchased on our Coral Princess cruise to Alaska in 2013.  I doubt I will be returning to Alaska as I was also there in 2010.  I am willing to send it to anyone who wishes it.  You may reimburse postage if you so desire,  it it is not required.  Message me at holtcjane at gmail dot com.  EM

04063353-0D92-471E-86A8-C67882718BF8.jpeg

643C6594-91E3-49AA-ACC6-849B92A30373.jpeg

700F3C4D-3D30-4E7F-9C50-B730C9F3CE28.jpeg

4B28DF78-6E7D-45A7-90D9-EED960F05771.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just returned from doing the inside passage.  I have a good copy of the 2012 Joe Upton book - THE ALASKA CRUISE HANDBOOK, complete with map.  I am willing to send it to anyone who wants it.  I will not be able to send it out until the week or 05/15.  I will send it media mail, as that is the cheapest. I live in Colorado  Send an email to robyn 9699 at gmail dot com.

As a side note - the book by Rachel Cartwright was in the gift shop.  We were on the Sapphire Princess.  It did not appear to be updated.

Robyn

IMG20230511121836.jpg

IMG20230511121824.jpg

• Like 1

We leave in a couple days, so it wouldn't get here ontime!

I had ordered a book/map set awhile ago - only the book came though.

Any chance they sell just the map in the gift shop??

I do have a AAA Alaska map I plan to magnet to the wall, but I'd rather something w more route detail.

TIA!

1 hour ago, COTINGEY said:

I just returned from doing the inside passage.  I have a good copy of the 2012 Joe Upton book - THE ALASKA CRUISE HANDBOOK, complete with map.  I am willing to send it to anyone who wants it.  I will not be able to send it out until the week or 05/15.  I will send it media mail, as that is the cheapest. I live in Colorado  Send an email to robyn 9699 at gmail dot com.

IT HAS FOUND IT'S NEW HOME

• Thanks 1