Not a good start to first cruise experience with MSC Cruises

wbingham

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Actually one can, "According to the study, these overall program costs for providing housing and services in an emergency shelter setting can vary widely, from $581 a month for an individual in Des Moines, IA, to as high as $3,530 for a family in Washington, DC."

Now if your from DC, you could get a suite.

Not sure if this is supposed to be sarcasm or not.  You are comparing the cost of emergency shelter in the middle of Iowa with the cost of a vacation?

1 hour ago, wbingham said:

Not sure if this is supposed to be sarcasm or not.  You are comparing the cost of emergency shelter in the middle of Iowa with the cost of a vacation?

It is just another perspective to consider when booking any vacation at a low price. The price you paid is equivalent to what our government pays to house and feed the indigent.

3 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

In other words, you get what you pay for.

Actually, I was on the Meraviglia in October and Divina a couple of weeks ago.  If anything, it seemed MSC was upping their food quality.  That's a big contrast to most cruise lines that are going the other way. 

Typically, at the "value" end of the pricing spectrum, MSC and Carnival have the lowest entry level pricing.  I think you get a better experience on MSC.  Granted, I took my first Carnival cruise over 10 years ago and swore never again, but recent postings would seem to paint MSC the more premium of the two at the same price point.  YMMV. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

In other words, you get what you pay for.

I've taken many sub 1k cruises with RCL, Celebrity, and Princess and gotten exceptional customer service both pre-cruise and on board the ship.  So your point is irrelevant.  The pre-cruise experience would have been the same had I booked one of MSC's expensive cruise itineraries as well.

54 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Actually, I was on the Meraviglia in October and Divina a couple of weeks ago.  If anything, it seemed MSC was upping their food quality.  That's a big contrast to most cruise lines that are going the other way. 

Typically, at the "value" end of the pricing spectrum, MSC and Carnival have the lowest entry level pricing.  I think you get a better experience on MSC.  Granted, I took my first Carnival cruise over 10 years ago and swore never again, but recent postings would seem to paint MSC the more premium of the two at the same price point.  YMMV. 

Carnival appeals to the masses.  Sailed them a few times, but nothing special.  I feel the food on MSC is better.  The pizza definitely is.  Carnival is ok, just not for me.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, wbingham said:

The pre-cruise experience would have been the same had I booked one of MSC's expensive cruise itineraries as well.

From what most everyone has posted this last many months you are probably correct. We have never experienced any pre-cruise problems, perhaps because we use a travel agent. It is the only difference, because those that booked the Yacht Club appear to have the same problem.

9 hours ago, B_A_H said:

I agree with the food quality.  I was on the Seashore last March and on the Meraviglia 2 weeks ago and MSC has really changed the menus. We loved them! 7-8 ounce lobster tail, prime rib, lamb chops, steak diane, coq au vin, and so on and so on. You no longer receive lobster tail on Celebrity.  Really love the way MSC has gone with their MDR menu.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, RD64 said:

OP - then just go back to RCL or whichever line - and stop complaining. 
Problem solved.

I kn9w I'm new to these boards but wow.  I guess it's no surprise that toxic people are everywhere now days.  

But i guess your life is sunshine and roses if you've never had a poor experience and wanted to make others that may be thinking of trying something new out aware.

You can crawl back under your rock now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wbingham said:

I kn9w I'm new to these boards but wow.  I guess it's no surprise that toxic people are everywhere now days.  

But i guess your life is sunshine and roses if you've never had a poor experience and wanted to make others that may be thinking of trying something new out aware.

You can crawl back under your rock now.

Thank you - I will. I have had more than my share of bad experiences. However - I do not moan on incessantly seeking sympathy from strangers. I pull up my big boy pants and get on with my life. Some people just do not appreciate my particular brand of charm and honesty. 

Edited by RD64
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2023 at 8:34 PM, RD64 said:

Thank you - I will. I have had more than my share of bad experiences. However - I do not moan on incessantly seeking sympathy from strangers. I pull up my big boy pants and get on with my life. Some people just do not appreciate my particular brand of charm and honesty. 

Moan on incessantly?  I posted a single message, detailing my experience so far.  Nothing beyond that.  All other comments have been conversations with others that replied, but no more complaints.  Matter of fact my responses have all been pretty accepting of the issues and that it is what it is.  

I'll be posting more details of my first experience with MSC cruises for others who wish to know.  So if you don't want honest feedback, feel free to move along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, wbingham said:

I'll be posting more details of my first experience with MSC cruises for others who wish to know.  So if you don't want honest feedback, feel free to move along.

I enjoy reading first-timer's reviews of MSC who have experience with other cruise lines.  There are three flavors:

• "It was different than [insert cruise line name] and I liked it and will probably sail again.

• "It was different than [insert cruise line name] and I liked it but probably won't sail again.

• "MSC was awful and [insert feature], insert feature], and [insert feature] are nothing like [insert cruise line] and the [insert service element] was terrible. 

MSC is different.  I recommend them to some friends but not others knowing that, based on the individual, they might not be a fit. 

I'd guess probably about 2/3 of discussion on this board are about MSC U.S. operations (as a booking, not departure point). Don't underestimate the importance of the U.S. market. (see below)

As a holding company, MSC is worth $28B. CCL, the next largest, is worth $2B. And MSC is private where CCL is publicly traded and answers to shareholders. MSC has the resources and governance environment to be absolutely anything they want at whatever speed they choose. Right now they are saturating the industry with capacity, likely to build market share and a base. The next logical step is to make more money per passenger so deployed assets return a greater profit. After that they'll potentially become "less different."     

That'll start a host of new discussion threads about whether "less different" is good or bad. Be careful what you wish for. 🙂 

Cruise Sourece.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 9:32 PM, B_A_H said:

IT is MSC's kryptonite.  Compared to most other cruise lines, what you can see and do in advance online is pretty sparse.  You can buy things like drink and specialty dining packages, internet packages, and spa services.  You can't schedule any of them until you're on the ship.  You can't upgrade an included or previously purchased package (EG: Browse to Browse & Stream, Easy to Easy Plus).  Canceling or modifying anything that was purchased in advance requires jumping through hoops and refunds can be horribly delayed.  

Helpful hint:  don't buy anything through the cruise planner unless you're 100% sure you want it and plan to use it exactly as purchased.  

Any change made to your booking causes it to reprice to today's rate and an auto-generated e-mail is sent out.  That just happened to me because the port charges dropped.  My cruise fare went up $1,000.  It's so common MSC has a dedicated e-mail set up for fixing it - mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com.

Another common complaint is that what's showing confirmed via e-mailed confirmation or online may be different once you're on the ship.  For example, if a sailing is crowded they go from early/late in the MDR to early/mid/late. And the specified times for each of the three tiers can be different across dining rooms.  So there could be two early's, two mid's, and two late's for a total of six different dining times.  When they do, early is really early and late is really late.  Experiences vary as to how receptive the Maître D is in making changes onboard. Same thing with changing assigned tables even though you didn't know your table in advance.  Comparisons to the Soup *** from Seinfeld have been made.  It even affects YC.  You receive a full page of customization you can select.  The ship receives none of them. 

Helpful hint:  Aurea is a get out of jail free card from dining time hell because it comes with "anytime" dining which means the Maître D has to accommodate you.  

Let's just say interacting with MSC both pre-cruise and onboard is "quirky."  As they keep expanding perhaps that'll be an incentive to join the 21st century.    

What kind of changes cause it to be repriced?

12 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Just calling.  Once an agent opens your booking it reprices.

So always us a TA

I did things online and though I did always get a "booking confirmation" email it never repriced..i thought that was strange but the price never changed, maybe it's just calling.

4 minutes ago, nagster said:

I did things online and though I did always get a "booking confirmation" email it never repriced..i thought that was strange but the price never changed, maybe it's just calling.

Just today I called and got a booking confirmation without repricing. Just imagine. 😉 

Not doubting the heartfelled and repeatetly reported experience of some, probably the vast majority of the ten thousands guests each week did just fine.

You folks are a really tough crowd.  "Reprice" means as it applies to the cruise fare itself.  MSC adjusts the port taxes at 90 days.  If they go up or down it causes the entire cruise to be repriced at that day's pricing. The European taxes went down and a bunch of people here, me included, posted about getting repriced.  You have to reach out to MSC to have the original pricing restored. 

Any change you make to a booking online, even personal information, always results in a new booking confirmation being e-mailed.  There's nothing any of us can do online that would affect the actual price of the cruise itself.  That's why the new booking confirmations you've all mentioned weren't repriced. 

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

Just today I called and got a booking confirmation without repricing. Just imagine. 😉 

Not doubting the heartfelled and repeatetly reported experience of some, probably the vast majority of the ten thousands guests each week did just fine.

What are you quoting me for?

59 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

You folks are a really tough crowd.  "Reprice" means as it applies to the cruise fare itself.  MSC adjusts the port taxes at 90 days.  If they go up or down it causes the entire cruise to be repriced at that day's pricing. The European taxes went down and a bunch of people here, me included, posted about getting repriced.  You have to reach out to MSC to have the original pricing restored. 

Any change you make to a booking online, even personal information, always results in a new booking confirmation being e-mailed.  There's nothing any of us can do online that would affect the actual price of the cruise itself.  That's why the new booking confirmations you've all mentioned weren't repriced. 

Gotcha, I hadn't had that with other cruise lines, it took me by surprise going to my email and seeing all those emails. It took me a bit to realize that's just how MSC is. 

On 2/19/2023 at 9:33 AM, B_A_H said:

MSC adjusts the port taxes at 90 days.  If they go up or down it causes the entire cruise to be repriced at that day's pricing. The European taxes went down and a bunch of people here, me included, posted about getting repriced.  You have to reach out to MSC to have the original pricing restored. 

how's that acceptable????? You make a final payment before 90 days. The price goes up at 90+ days because "MSC adjusts the port taxes" according to you. Your cruise gets cancelled because you are never notified about the increase. MSC pockets your money. That's not normal or acceptable. Nor does it make any sense.

23 hours ago, nagster said:

What are you quoting me for?

I think that he is agreeing with you.

I've only had one instance of a price increase after booking but it was eventually corrected. The price that I agree to when making a deposit is the price that I pay....unless the price goes down and I have my price adjusted to the lower price.

22 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how's that acceptable????? You make a final payment before 90 days. The price goes up at 90+ days because "MSC adjusts the port taxes" according to you. Your cruise gets cancelled because you are never notified about the increase. MSC pockets your money. That's not normal or acceptable. Nor does it make any sense.

You are correct and they don't care. Get a lawyer and find out they still don't care and how rigged the T&C are.

"Operational" changes.  A vague term that means they can do anything they want.

• Like 1