Travel Agents and Cruising

gerryuk

Would you still cruise if you had to book directly with the cruise lines and not a Travel Agent  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still cruise if you had to book directly with the cruise lines and not a Travel Agent

• I will still cruise, nothing is going to stop me.
    • I will still cruise, but not as much.
    • I would not cruise without the involvement of a Travel Agent.

2 hours ago, sacsarahsk said:

Newbie here....
Can anyone point me to a thread where the pros and cons of TA vs. booking direct are discussed? We booked our own with Oceania, including flight. We chose the ship after watching tons of YouTubes - not very scientific! Wondering if there are benefits to using a TA in the future.

TIA.

Just as I'd never buy travel insurance from a cruiseline, neither would I book a cruise with the cruiseline.  I want an agent who is only concerned about me and my travels.  One thing for sure ... never use an online booking service, only a real TA who is a cruise expert.  For example, a good TA would be sure your air arrangements are just what you want ... s/he'd be sure you contacted the cruiseline's Air Desk directly (often a conference call including your TA because the cruiseline likes it that way).  S/he would insist that the air be booked while you're on the phone, with confirmation numbers and seats.   Air booked blindly with a cruiseline can be a real issue, with numerous connections and whacko schedules, so you want control of the air itinerary.

I've had years of experience booking travel, but I like that little extra my TA gives ... perks onboard, reminders of deadlines, booking exactly the cabin we want.  When a recent cruise out of Quebec was held up more than 24 hours to avoid a hurricane (or tornado or thunderstorm, I forget), she had all the facts immediately and made sure I was aware of the situation.  We could then decide to stay another night at our hotel, or board as scheduled.  She was a friend first, so I can run by any nutso idea I get and she advises me.  

7 hours ago, sacsarahsk said:

Newbie here....
Can anyone point me to a thread where the pros and cons of TA vs. booking direct are discussed? We booked our own with Oceania, including flight. We chose the ship after watching tons of YouTubes - not very scientific! Wondering if there are benefits to using a TA in the future.

TIA.

Perhaps something in the following oldie but goodie Cruise Critic articles will be helpful:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking a Cruise With a Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking With a Cruise Line

Secret Agent Deals: How to Find Prices Cruise Lines Don't Offer

How to Save Money on Your Next Cruise

• Thanks 1

Thanks, KBs Mum - I guess, since we knew the line and itinerary we wanted, no harm in going directly to the cruise line. In future, I would think a TA could steer us to best deals - that's basically what I'm inferring from the comments here. 

9 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Thanks, Host Kat. The site is a bit overwhelming - thank you for pointing these out.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sacsarahsk said:

Thanks, KBs Mum - I guess, since we knew the line and itinerary we wanted, no harm in going directly to the cruise line. In future, I would think a TA could steer us to best deals - that's basically what I'm inferring from the comments here. 

I had booked directly for an upcoming cruise. Then I decided I wanted to switch to a different cruise and cruise line, but the cost was about $1500 more and I'd lose a fair amount of OBC. Then I saw a reference on another site to a site that lets TA's bid on your business with quotes. I figured I'd try it. I received a single response for a really good rate. Did some research on the agency and saw very positive reviews. I called and ended up booking with them for my desired cruise. I ended up getting a better rate than direct booking, and more OBC than my original cruise, which ended up making the new cruise only around $450 more, rather than $1500 more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 3:32 PM, jsn55 said:

Just as I'd never buy travel insurance from a cruiseline, neither would I book a cruise with the cruiseline.  I want an agent who is only concerned about me and my travels.  One thing for sure ... never use an online booking service, only a real TA who is a cruise expert.  For example, a good TA would be sure your air arrangements are just what you want ... s/he'd be sure you contacted the cruiseline's Air Desk directly (often a conference call including your TA because the cruiseline likes it that way).  S/he would insist that the air be booked while you're on the phone, with confirmation numbers and seats.   Air booked blindly with a cruiseline can be a real issue, with numerous connections and whacko schedules, so you want control of the air itinerary.

I've had years of experience booking travel, but I like that little extra my TA gives ... perks onboard, reminders of deadlines, booking exactly the cabin we want.  When a recent cruise out of Quebec was held up more than 24 hours to avoid a hurricane (or tornado or thunderstorm, I forget), she had all the facts immediately and made sure I was aware of the situation.  We could then decide to stay another night at our hotel, or board as scheduled.  She was a friend first, so I can run by any nutso idea I get and she advises me.  

What a great illustration! Thank you for such a thoughtful response. I'm afraid we booked our air with the agent who answered the phone, who then charged us an extra fee for extending our stay when we disembark, even though we have only paid the deposit - the air travel isn't even booked yet. Unfortunately, my husband thinks he can do everything himself and doesn't need advice. (He also never asks for directions, soooooo......)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't care -- agent or the cruise line.  I look for the best all-around deal.  Have had good luck and bad luck with agents.  Working directly with the cruise line (we use Princess) has never been a problem.

We simply shop around for the best deal, which always comes from reputable high volume discount cruise agencies.  Take them out of the mix and we would continue shopping around, although it would have to be with the cruise lines.  Supply/Demand dictates that there will always be "deals" for those that have an open mind and look for the best value.

Hank

• Like 1

I had never booked a cruise with a cruise line but one day Indecided to call a cruise line to get some information .The person who answered the phone had the same name as me .I took that as an omen and booked the cruise with him.He said that nobody ever called with the same name as him .After  a discussion to determine if we could possibly be related he was very happy to book the cruise for my wife and I .