Buggy ride in Central Park?

cruiseat50

While we are in NY we would like to get a buggy ride through CP and was wondering about how much will it cost?  Do they take you through the whole park and let you get out for pictures?  I will either be using a collapsible rollator or scooter will that be a problem?

8 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

While we are in NY we would like to get a buggy ride through CP and was wondering about how much will it cost?

Generally about $64 for 20 minutes and $25 per every 10 minuets after. Plus tip for the driver. 

Do they take you through the whole park and let you get out for pictures?

No, Central Park is massive and you only see a very, very small section of it on the South side. If you did one that covered the whole park (which I'm pretty sure isn't even offered) it would take literally all day and cost a fortune. 

I will either be using a collapsible rollator or scooter will that be a problem?

Yes-- there is no place to store it either at the point of joining the carriage or onboard. The carriages are in no was accessible. I believe the only thing they will take onboard is a foldable wheelchair. 

Also keep in mind that horse drawn carriages are very controversial at the moment and there is huge movement to have them banned in NYC due to mistreatment of the animals. 

• Like 1

Google Hansom cabs nyc. You will find information and you can contact the companies directly. They might allow you to take your rollator onboard. 

Another option is a pedicab tour. 

With either make sure you ask the cost of the tour beforehand so there is no misunderstanding. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Also keep in mind that horse drawn carriages are very controversial at the moment and there is huge movement to have them banned in NYC due to mistreatment of the animals. 

In what way are they being mistreated?  I didn't know that they are being mistreated and that's horrible.  I would never want to do this if that's the case I will look at the pedicab as if they are mistreating themselves it's their choice.

5 minutes ago, cruiseat50 said:

In what way are they being mistreated?  I didn't know that they are being mistreated and that's horrible.  I would never want to do this if that's the case I will look at the pedicab as if they are mistreating themselves it's their choice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/21/nyregion/carriage-horses-new-york.html

Theres two sides to every story but theres a big movement to have carriage horses banned like they have been in other major cities like Chicago. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

The above statement is overbroad to the extent that it suggests that all operators of horse-drawn carriages mistreat their animals. Generally, operators want to treat their animals well because they represent a large investment and mistreatment would reduce their value and efficacy. Nonetheless, there are some--but not all--irresponsible operators who do mistreat their animals. Finally, there are some political activists who claim that any use of animals to draw carriages is, per se, mistreatment, though I would not characterize their numbers as being "huge."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GTJ said:

Finally, there are some political activists who claim that any use of animals to draw carriages is, per se, mistreatment, though I would not characterize their numbers as being "huge."

And once, they succeed in banning horse drawn carriages, they will move against the concept of ownership of animals as pets.  The lunatic fringe has no natural boundary.

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

Simple economics; The stables for the horses on the east side of Manhattan are prime real estate and developers want to shut down the carriages and get rid of the stables to build high-end developments.  

I don’t think there have been any stables on the east side of Manhattan for a number of years- perhaps the last was the old Squadron A armory on Madison at 94th - which was taken down year ago.  There are a couple on the far west side, way down town.

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

Simple economics; The stables for the horses on the east side of Manhattan are prime real estate and developers want to shut down the carriages and get rid of the stables to build high-end developments.  

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

I don’t think there have been any stables on the east side of Manhattan for a number of years- perhaps the last was the old Squadron A armory on Madison at 94th - which was taken down year ago.  There are a couple on the far west side, way down town.

While developers may want the properties, AFAIK all the carriage horse stables are on the west side of Manhattan. The stables featured in the NY Times article are on West 52nd St., literally a stone's throw from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

As someone who has owned dozens of racehorses based on personal experience I bridle (word chosen intentionally) at generalizations in either extreme about how horses are treated . Yes, some horses are treated as if they are loved family members and some are mistreated, but we shouldn't fall into the trap of believing that sensationalistic reports in the press are representative of how all horses are treated. IMO, the focus should be on identifying and weeding out the bad actors in the business, not blanket condemnation .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

AFAIK all the carriage horse stables are on the west side of Manhattan.

That was my understanding as well. Within New York City I have only ridden in Queens County (Forest Park), and tangentially familiar with Manhattan.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

As someone who has owned dozens of racehorses based on personal experience I bridle (word chosen intentionally) at generalizations in either extreme about how horses are treated . Yes, some horses are treated as if they are loved family members and some are mistreated, but we shouldn't fall into the trap of believing that sensationalistic reports in the press are representative of how all horses are treated. IMO, the focus should be on identifying and weeding out the bad actors in the business, not blanket condemnation.

I try to read the articles critically, knowing that the activists generally speak louder than their actual numbers, and that many in the media no longer report down the middle. I will also note that during New York City's horsecar era, generally 1855 through 1895 (and to a lesser extent during the prior omnibus era going back to about 1830), there were many commercial stables throughout the city providing the essential transportation that allowed this city to prosper above all others in this country. Those street railway companies did not treat their human employees very well (e.g., 12-hour workdays, 6 days per week, always "another Irishman" coming off the boats to replace any complainers), and it would not surprise me if those attitudes of the time prevailed as to the care of their animals (but I have no evidence one way or the other).

The horses and pedicabs are restricted as to what roads they can travel on.  If you do  a pedicab make sure you agree to a price and length of trip in advance as they can spring REALLY high prices upon you when you get off.

If you want to Explore Central Park, you have to do so on foot.

17 hours ago, Nitemare said:

The horses and pedicabs are restricted as to what roads they can travel on.  If you do  a pedicab make sure you agree to a price and length of trip in advance as they can spring REALLY high prices upon you when you get off.

If you want to Explore Central Park, you have to do so on foot.

That’s not true. You can get a decent tour by pedicab. They point out famous points. It’s a good option for those who can’t walk long distances. 

6 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

That’s not true. You can get a decent tour by pedicab. They point out famous points. It’s a good option for those who can’t walk long distances. 

Still, the real gems:  the Carousel, the Conservatory Pool with model sailboats, the zoo, the Shakespeare Gardens, Cleopatra's Needle, the Loeb Boathouse, the Bethesda Fountain, etc., etc., etc. all need to walked by to be noticed at all.

Edited by navybankerteacher

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Still, the real gems:  the Carousel, the Conservatory Pool with model sailboats, the zoo, the Shakespeare Gardens, Cleopatra's Needle, the Loeb Boathouse, the Bethesda Fountain, etc., etc., etc. all need to walked by to be noticed at all.

True. But the OP needs a rollator or scooter to get around. To say “don’t bother” is not helpful. One can enjoy the beauty of Central Park with a carriage ride. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

True. But the OP needs a rollator or scooter to get around. To say “don’t bother” is not helpful. One can enjoy the beauty of Central Park with a carriage ride. 

Yes -- but for readers able to walk, it is the best way to experience the park --- riding in any sort of vehicle makes it simply a drive-by --- with little chance to see most of what makes it special --- even sadder than "doing" Rome on a bus.