New/different COVID boarding requirements for boarding Explorer in Tokyo, March/April(?) 2023

Portolan

On 3/8/2023 at 1:41 AM, flossie009 said:

@pingpong1, I do not disagree that if a “significant change” is made by the cruise line then the guest should be able to cancel the cruise; whether that be before or after final payment.

When St. Petersburg was dropped from our August cruise last year, Regent agreed to give us a full refund, even though the reason for the change in itinerary was not within their control. That itinerary change was significant in the context of our booking.

All travel, including cruising, has always included the risk of alterations to arrangements and I do not see that the administrative and testing requirements being discussed in this thread can be considered as significant changes that warrant a guest cancelling without penalty.

On 3/7/2023 at 11:03 PM, cwn said:

For this very reason if you are concerned about these possible kinds of changes in this Post Covid world, you should not book cruises or get cancel for any reason insurance.

Agreed

Regardless of whether you can find an official government statement about a negative test to board in Japan, this is required. These are the first cruises in Japan….most of the rest of the world opened to cruising months ago and has gotten through these baby steps.( fear of having to deal with a ship full of sick people) . 

This is a health issue not an itinerary change and there is still a lot of fear in this post Covid world, real or not. If you got very sick or injured within three days pre-cruise and after you had traveled overseas, Regent would not give you a refund. You would have to look to your own resources or you trip insurance. Really no different than testing positive for any illness, Covid in this case. Just many people don’t want to chance testing positive preboarding regardless of when the rules went into effect.

Rules and regulations about health can and do change very fast. Especially true in this post Covid world. If you are not comfortable with the risk, don’t travel or insure yourself.

Probably you are “beating a dead horse”🙂.

• Like 3

I agree with everything Pingpong wrote.

We went thru having to present a Negative Covid test twice before boarding two prior cruises. 

We would have not made final payment on this Japan cruise if we knew this would be a requirement for this Tokyo to Vancouver cruise. 

This cruise is sold out. A 3 day pre cruise stay in Tokyo. More than likely there will be passengers unable to board and thus stuck in Tokyo.

Horrible situation to be in.

• Like 2

It seems that everyone has a different perspective on what is an acceptable risk to them.

In case it has been forgotten, at the time of final payment for the next two March cruises out of Tokyo, Japan was still closed to tourism.  There was no Guarantee that the cruise would even take place.  Many people chose to cancel at that time.

if you didn’t cancel then, you (I) were willing to take a chance.  No one knew at that time what the entry requirements would be for a cruise.  There was no way for Regent to tell us.  Japan has been changing rules every few weeks.  They could change again depending upon how things play out.  No one knew if the cruise would exist.

so, if the uncertainty of testing requirements and the chances of getting Covid are an issue for you, then you should simply find a different travel option where you have more control over everything.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

And especially after everyone initially thought there would be no testing requirment,

Why would they make that assumption? Regent has been very clear that it only issues specific requirements for each cruise  just a few weeks before boarding.

There have been plenty of press reports about Japan’s nervousness in opening up to tourism, with international cruise ships only being finally sanctioned very recently.

Whether or not anyone happens to have an extremely comprehensive travel insurance, the policies may or may not cover a situation like this?

It is the guest’s responsibility to arrange appropriate insurance.

And if Regent were to even "acknowledge this" as a "significant change"

It is not a significant change.
Regent at no time stated that no testing would be required prior to boarding this cruise

I just can't understand why this is so difficult for some to understand our point of view, or to at least acknowledge the possible validity of it?

I can totally understand the point of view but IMO the demand that Regent accept liability for a passenger who chooses to cancel at a late date or is denied boarding because of illness or reporting a positive covid test is unreasonable.

The passenger should have adequate travel insurance or accept the possible financial risk of not being properly covered.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Unfortunately today in in Kagoshima is rainy & cool so not very conducive to sightseeing  ⛈️ 

The welcoming party was not extensive …………. three senior citizens waving flags; one wearing a flowery wig 😉

A sunny Spring morning for our arrival in Kochi, Japan today.

An extensive welcoming party for Explorer’s arrival; all happy to see the first cruise ship in Kochi for three years.

81CCCAA2-97A0-45DE-A3C6-B566EC1A795D.thumb.jpeg.32dfb27e7b158184b408658b847c517e.jpeg

CC765EA8-9670-4966-9C37-B8B5E83B6D3F.thumb.jpeg.1b042be1b331b9250ed22a3f724f88b6.jpeg

967A3364-5D05-4B52-A1EC-ABE9F9BDE584.thumb.jpeg.05d758129e8b6724bcce6c10669bb4bb.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, mrstanley said:

Sanne…. After u had to be tested 3 days after boarding how many people tested positive and were required to be quarantined??? Just curious.

There was no way to know exactly on our cruise. We heard of people that were quarantining but no idea how many. 

Of interest …. There is a website on the NSW Health dept that lists all ships that have Covid on board. It’s mandatory that they have to report this if they are cruising on the Eastern states. It’s a tier system, Tier 1 being the lowest, less than 30 positive cases per 1000 passengers/crew. 

On random searches I would suggest that most if not every ship that docks in Sydney has Covid on board and all are at Tier 1. 

If you are afraid to test within 72 hours of your cruise I would suggest you simply stop cruising.  Covid regulations worldwide are constantly updated and requirements will continue to shift.  I have insurance that will cover Covid cancellations (as well as any other illness or accident).  I suggest everyone do the same. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrstanley said:

May 25 cruise

Do you mean the April 25 cruise on the Explorer? We are on the May 5 cruise to Vancouver and are curious about what the requirements might be for our cruise.

I’ve been told by Jennifer Teegen at Regent that passengers will be required to show a negative Covid test within 72 hours of boarding. You are allowed to use a home test kit. Information regarding everything will be sent 30 days before your cruise. This policy is from the Japan government.

12 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

If you are afraid to test within 72 hours of your cruise I would suggest you simply stop cruising.  Covid regulations worldwide are constantly updated and requirements will continue to shift.  I have insurance that will cover Covid cancellations (as well as any other illness or accident).  I suggest everyone do the same. 

You obviously have not faced this issue anywhere! Believe me, having " insurance that will cover Covid cancellations" is a VERY VERY  minor part of the problem. How about being 5000 miles from home and told that you should leave your husband in quarantine and go home while you  are still negative because you almost surely will turn positive. It was a terrible, horrendous experience. If this policy is not changed by by June, when our final payment for our Japan cruise is due, we will sadly....VERY sadly....have to cancel. I don't EVER want to be faced with that decision again!

• Like 4

On 3/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, Techno123 said:

Personally I have found the lateral flow (antigen) tests more likely to give a. False negative than positive. We don't sail until the end of the year so I am sure it will all change again by then.

The wearing of masks in many Asian countries (especially Japan) if you are ill/have cold type symptoms is seen as polite - and shows you are respectful of others. (Even if you have been vaccinated).

Agree with everything you said.

When Japan first opened to family visits last summer they were requiring a family visa obtained in person from the embassy, a previous website even more complicated than Visit Japan, being booked on a tour. But those of us who couldn't see our family for three years were willing to do it.

Slowly but surely the backed off on the restrictions. By December when I finally made it to Okinawa it was down to 3 blue screens on Visit Japan, masks on all JAL flights, and masks in public.

I'm sorry you all are at the beginning of the cruise ship phase, but if it follows the pattern it should relax soon.

Haven't seen many masks in the pictures from Grand Asia cruise on Explorer which is 2 ports in out of 16 in Japan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Haven't seen many masks in the pictures from Grand Asia cruise on Explorer which is 2 ports in out of 16 in Japan. 

In Japan masks are required in the Cruise Terminal, other enclosed spaces and on buses. Most of the locals are still to be seen wearing masks.
Masks are not required on board; a few crew and passengers do wear them.

Some updated information:

First, the effort to wade through the Visit Japan process was rewarded by not being diverted on arrival by one of a myriad of airport personnel to do it before proceeding.  They'll want to see the non-QR document that says your uploaded documents were verified.  Then (for us) 30 minutes of zig zagging to get to the immigration officer who'll want your passports and the immigration QR code.  After you get to the baggage area you need to go to a kiosk where your passport and customs QR code are read.  Then out passed a customs officer with your identity determined by facial recognition (from the picture taken at immigration).  A bit complicated, but there was a horde of helpful people at each step to get you through.  Then you have arrived.

Second:  after we self-tested at the 70 hour mark (both negative) we headed to the bar to celebrate and stopped by the Regent Hospitality desk to get our info for the pre-cruise land tour.   And it said that COVID-19 testing would be available on-site the second day for $65/pp!  So perhaps someone at Regent realized that this would be helpful though it wasn't mentioned in the most recent email from Regent dated yesterday.  However, we are $130 ahead with the self-test assuming that the boarding personnel can handle all of the different self-test kit result presentations.

Finally, and totally unrelated to the whole testing issue:  you may have discovered that Japan uses US standard two-blade electrical plugs (100v, but that won't bother modern power supplies).  But, at least at the Hilton, all sockets were just the two-blades with no ability to use a grounded US 3 prong plug.  If you have, for instance, a 3 prong plug like on many laptop power cords, you'll need a "cheater" plug adapter to allow use in the 2-blade sockets.

• Thanks 1

Scott, thank you so much for all this valuable information!  I’m glad, but not too surprised, that the process went relatively smoothly once you arrived. 
I’m a little confused about the 70 hour mark. We are scheduled to board at noon on Tuesday. We are doing the post cruise extension and Regent  air flights. By my calculations, we still have to wait several hours before testing. We leave for the airport at 6 tonight, so there is a small window for us to test this afternoon. Otherwise we test en route or Monday when we arrive.  Then again, my problem solving may be wrong — If a jet traveling 600 MPH leaves NY on Saturday night, changes to Daylight Savings Time a few hours later, makes a 3-hour stop in the Middle East the next day, and arrives in Japan the day before boarding …when is it 72 hours in Tokyo? 😂

It’s all worth it. This trip is going to be fantastic! Enjoy your time in Tokyo and we’ll see you on board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Portolan,

For those passengers who may have tested Positive what were they now expected to do?

Stay at the Hilton hotel?

Fly back home?

Was Regent transferring them elsewhere?

We are Not staying at the Hilton and not doing the pre cruise tour. Doing everything on our on while in Tokyo before the cruise embarks on April 25.

I agree with what Sabreline wrote. Don’t blame them for not going if Japan keeps this policy in place. If Japan wants tourists they need to change things. ASAP!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Portolan said:

Finally, and totally unrelated to the whole testing issue:  you may have discovered that Japan uses US standard two-blade electrical plugs (100v, but that won't bother modern power supplies).  But, at least at the Hilton, all sockets were just the two-blades with no ability to use a grounded US 3 prong plug.  If you have, for instance, a 3 prong plug like on many laptop power cords, you'll need a "cheater" plug adapter to allow use in the 2-blade sockets.

When working in Japan and colleagues would come from USA with three prong laptop cords; we would just rip off the ground post; not really needed in USA either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

When working in Japan and colleagues would come from USA with three prong laptop cords; we would just rip off the ground post; not really needed in USA either.

Mark: that would work if you found yourself here with no other option, but a bit draconian.  When we travel here again I'll just bring some 3 prong to 2 blade adapters (aka cheaters) since I still have some around though rarely needed at home anymore.

5 hours ago, bk travels said:

Scott, thank you so much for all this valuable information!  I’m glad, but not too surprised, that the process went relatively smoothly once you arrived. 
I’m a little confused about the 70 hour mark. We are scheduled to board at noon on Tuesday. We are doing the post cruise extension and Regent  air flights. By my calculations, we still have to wait several hours before testing. We leave for the airport at 6 tonight, so there is a small window for us to test this afternoon. Otherwise we test en route or Monday when we arrive.  Then again, my problem solving may be wrong — If a jet traveling 600 MPH leaves NY on Saturday night, changes to Daylight Savings Time a few hours later, makes a 3-hour stop in the Middle East the next day, and arrives in Japan the day before boarding …when is it 72 hours in Tokyo? 😂

It’s all worth it. This trip is going to be fantastic! Enjoy your time in Tokyo and we’ll see you on board. 

The relative time issue can be confusing, at least until you get here.  Japan is 14 hours ahead of the east coast.  We board Explorer on Tuesday the 14th, at noonish.  We self-tested at 2 PM on Saturday the 11th...70 hours before our nominal boarding time.  Bottom line is that everybody no matter where you are are well within 72 hours at this point.

5 hours ago, mrstanley said:

Portolan,

For those passengers who may have tested Positive what were they now expected to do?

Stay at the Hilton hotel?

Fly back home?

Was Regent transferring them elsewhere?

We are Not staying at the Hilton and not doing the pre cruise tour. Doing everything on our on while in Tokyo before the cruise embarks on April 25.

I agree with what Sabreline wrote. Don’t blame them for not going if Japan keeps this policy in place. If Japan wants tourists they need to change things. ASAP!!!

They may or may not tell us the plan when we are together for the first time later this morning for the morning tour.  That's also when they said they'd explain the now-offered on-site testing.  It'll be interesting to get a sense of how many do this.  We won't because we have their required proof of a negative self-test and 1) see no need to spend $130, and 2) while extremely unlikely, we could have been exposed in the day between our self-test and the on-site test (whose results are certainly shared with Regent).  The irony is that springing the on-site option so late may drastically reduce the number of takers so they might feel it is unnecessary for the upcoming cruises.

I hope (with no basis) that they will have it arranged to provide our self-test results for verification some time before we head to the ship to board, otherwise I fear a lengthy boarding process.  I will certainly report on how that goes...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bk travels said:

…when is it 72 hours in Tokyo? 😂

Google “time in Tokyo “. Subtract current time, in my case 15 hours. Subtract one more hour for springing forward tomorrow. Now it’s 14 hours ahead in Tokyo. All calculations work from there. I think!

Thank you both!  I did set my phone to Japan time a little while ago, and we're fine to test. That was an easy solution now that we're close. I've been procrastinating all day, but we're about to test now.  Leaving for the airport in a few hours..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Portolan said:

Hi Portolan - we're not cruising until later this year but wondered, if you could do me a favour (if you are able). Regent will put us Brits up in a hotel even if we are only in the lowly F1 suites rather than concierge and above because of the distance we need to travel 😂. However, as no hotel is currently showing on my Regent account we're not sure if we will go to the same hotel as everyone else (the Tokyo Hilton) or whether they have a shipping container dockside where they will put us overnight 😜😜. If you happen to get into conversation with any Brits doing a 'forced' overnight could you please find out where they stayed? Much appreciated and thank you.